The Sims 2 UC Crashing
#1 13-06-2019 
  • Registered
Hey guys, I recently got The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and I can't get it to work, every time I open it up it crashes before I can create a sim.

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit
I already tried downloading DirectX 9.0c, using different versions of windows on the compatibility tab, updating my graphicsRules and VideoCards but it keeps crashing =/

Thanks for the help!

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-QGMEADE-config-log.txt (Size: 14.78 KB / Downloads: 407)

#2 13-06-2019 
(13-06-2019 08:22 PM)Herst Wrote:  Hey guys, I recently got The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and I can't get it to work, every time I open it up it crashes before I can create a sim.

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit
I already tried downloading DirectX 9.0c, using different versions of windows on the compatibility tab, updating my graphicsRules and VideoCards but it keeps crashing =/

Thanks for the help!
This is because the video card isn't compatible with TS2/DirectX 9c. Add in the latest few updates to Windows 10, and this spells death for TS2. This is an ONGOING problem, no one has found a solution to.
There are a couple things you might try:

If this is a LAPTOP:

1. Dual boot it with Windows 8.1, or Windows 7, and run on your HD, on-board graphics. Most likely, Windows 7 will no longer work for a machine that new. Next new laptop I get, I'm going to have to try this myself.

2. Dual boot it with Linux, and try to run it in WINE.

3. Get yourself an OLDER machine (Win7 preferably, Windows 8.1, alternatively).

This is a GREAT "Simming" machine, at a GREAT price! You'll need to acquire a copy of Win7 Pro, re-format, and install that. You'll need to download all the Win7 drivers for it off Lenovo's website FIRST, or download them to another functioning computer, transfer the drivers to a flash drive, then install them to the T440p. I'm afraid, we're at this point with this game now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-thinkpad...d&LH_BIN=1

You'll also need this. VERY easy to install on this machine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-8GB-2X4...78f20fa91d

There are SEVERAL, very good You-Tube videos out there to show you how to do this.
Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2PWKpVj4JE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is a DESKTOP system:

1. Try dual booting, and if you HAVE on-board graphics, use them.
If you don't have on board graphics, you're out of luck.

2. Try an OLDER video card, that is 9c compatible, AND compatible with your deskptop (Google is your friends here), and dual boot.

I'm sorry. Sad Maybe someone ELSE has a better solution?
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2019 03:24 PM by Kunder.)

#3 13-06-2019 
  • Registered
Sad to hear this =/
Do you think a windows 7 VM could work?

#4 13-06-2019 
You can try it, but only if you have alternate, compatible video on your machine. Let us know.

If it works, can you provide the know-how on setting up a VM for TS2 play?

#5 14-06-2019 
@Herst

OK. Quick question - could you load up a dxdiag file for me?

My thought is @Kunder , that the Intel card which is generally less fancy would still work with the game. It would be a question of finding out whether the intel card is still compatible with Directx9.

To create a dxdiag file -
1. Bring up a run window,
2. type in dxdiag.
3. Once it's done all it's fiddling, click on "Save all information".
4. Attach the dxdiag.txt file that it creates to this post using the full editor.

While the intel card won't be as super good as the new graphics card, it would be just as suitable for the game, and cheaper than buying a new machine just to play Sims on.

But I won't know for sure until I have a look at the DXDiag.txt

#6 14-06-2019 
  • Registered
(13-06-2019 10:59 PM)Kunder Wrote:  If it works, can you provide the know-how on setting up a VM for TS2 play?
I tried using VirtualBox but It has some problems with DirectX so I was unable to play the game, I'll try some different VM softwares tomorrow and if end up having any success I'll post here

(14-06-2019 04:26 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  OK. Quick question - could you load up a dxdiag file for me?
Sure thing!

(14-06-2019 04:26 AM)celebkiriedhel Wrote:  While the intel card won't be as super good as the new graphics card, it would be just as suitable for the game, and cheaper than buying a new machine just to play Sims on.
I actually thought about this but I don't know how to set up my computer to use my onboard GPU instead of my dedicated CPU without unplugging it. I tried using the advanced settings from windows 10 but it only shows my dedicated GPU

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 86.67 KB / Downloads: 334)

#7 14-06-2019 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel While trying to figure out what the problem could be I looked at my Exception log with an error "Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION."

I searched for this on google and found a post made by you saying "That's what happens when the programs tries to read somewhere it shouldn't, or tries to write somwhere it can't.", I have 2 storage drives, 1 for my OS © and one for storage (D) the game is on the D drive so Idk if that could be cause this issue, I'll try to uninstall the game and install it on the C drive tomorrow.

I also noticed that the game logs only show 2GB of RAM when I have 32GB, dunno why.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2019.06.14 02.06.37.txt (Size: 17.3 KB / Downloads: 334)

#8 14-06-2019 
@Herst
The reason why it's only showing your dedicated GPU, is because according to your dxdiag.txt you have just got the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080, and no onboard Graphics card. It's listed twice,in the video section, so it may just be that your onboard graphics is the same.

There are some things I would like you to check for me..

1. Are you running it in windowed mode?
2. Are you running the Sims in Admin?
3. Do you have the smoothing set to Max?
4. What do you have the compatibility set to?

The access violation code is because of that - but it could be that it's trying to read something it's not allowed to because it's not set to Admin. (Only admin has access to all the areas for read).

#9 14-06-2019 
(14-06-2019 08:18 AM)Herst Wrote:  I have 2 storage drives, 1 for my OS © and one for storage (D) the game is on the D drive so Idk if that could be cause this issue, I'll try to uninstall the game and install it on the C drive tomorrow.

Hi @Herst,

That should not be of any importance, actually. I also have two drives, named C: and E:. The C:-drive is for windows and all tools and non-game programs, and the E:-drive for games and data storage. I do not normally have any problems with ACCESS_VIOLATION, and the rare instances that it does happen, it has to do with other stuff. In fact, the chance of ACCESS_VIOLATIONs is greater when you install your games on the C:-drive. And the chance of this problem is greatest if you install games in the "Program Files" folder.

Most of the access violations I get, are when I've forgotten to delete the groups.cache file after adding/removing mods.

#10 14-06-2019 
@ celebkiriedhel
@BoilingOill

I don't know WHAT this board would do without the two of you! I know how to fix it with a hardware solution, and can write a Video Cards.sgr, but you two are the Guru's for the actual game...

Please don't die. AngelAngelTongue

(Bowing in submission).

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option