The Sims 2 base game FPS drop to 30 when sims in view
#1 24-06-2019 
  • Registered
Hey guys, need some help.

I installed The Sims 2 base game only on Windows 10, and noticed some FPS drop to 30 FPS on high graphic settings, but when I change Sim/Object Detail from high to low I got stable 60 FPS:
Then I tried to replace Materials.package to EP8 materials and get stable 60 FPS on high Sim/Object Detail settings, but everything was pink:
Then I tried to replace only sims shaders from Materials.package and again get stable 60 FPS on high Sim/Object Details settings, but pink and T-posed sims:
I just wanna play vanilla The Sims 2 base game with 60 FPS, is it possible without installing last stuff pack with updated shaders/materials? Huh

Attached File(s)
.txt  -config-log.txt (Size: 8.99 KB / Downloads: 362)
.txt  Graphics Rules.txt (Size: 33.77 KB / Downloads: 330)
.txt  Video Cards.txt (Size: 18.73 KB / Downloads: 324)

#2 24-06-2019 
Given how windows 10 and nVidia hate Sims2 I would focus on making it run smoothly with no graphics glitches before trying to get the fps up.

#3 24-06-2019 
I concur. Get the graphics working properly first.

#4 25-06-2019 
  • Registered
(24-06-2019 09:06 PM)leefish Wrote:  Given how windows 10 and nVidia hate Sims2 I would focus on making it run smoothly with no graphics glitches before trying to get the fps up.
(24-06-2019 10:00 PM)Kunder Wrote:  I concur. Get the graphics working properly first.

My game has no graphical issues at all, like on first picture, I'm just trying get stable 60 FPS on high Sim/Object Detail settings with Materials.package manipulations by myself..
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2019 06:53 AM by juancar.)

#5 25-06-2019 
We can't help you with that, but congratulations on getting Sims2 to run on windows10 Smile

#6 25-06-2019 
  • Registered
(25-06-2019 09:50 AM)leefish Wrote:  We can't help you with that, but congratulations on getting Sims2 to run on windows10 Smile

It's always running on every version of Windows 10 for me without any graphical glitches, ofc with Graphical Rules Maker and 4GB patch.
I just think base game is 30 FPS capped when any sims on view if Sim/Objects Details set on high.. it really sucks.

Yay, I replaced The Sims 2 base game materials to The Sims 2 Life Stories materials, and get 60 FPS but get some minor bugs with shadows and particles .. I guess I'm on the right way!
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2019 11:16 AM by juancar.)

#7 25-06-2019 
(25-06-2019 10:35 AM)juancar Wrote:  I just think base game is 30 FPS capped when any sims on view if Sim/Objects Details set on high..

If that really is the case, then I think it would make sense, actually. The human eye is incapable of noticing individual frames at any setting about 24 fps. Since 30 fps is well above that already, in theory one doesn't need anything more. Sure, it may look a bit sharper, but your sims aren't going to look like real flesh-and-blood no matter how high the fps is set. So in my personal opinion -- which is NOT popular among most people, I know -- this obsession with high FPS settings makes little sense. As long as it doesn't stutter, I'm happy. But that's just me; I accept that others think differently about it.

But more important is that when the game was first released, the level of technology was much lower than it is now. Most systems back then wouldn't have been able to run TS2 at 60 FPS, even if you lowered the resolution to 800x600. So they sacrificed some of the sharpness to ensure acceptable performance. Seems quite reasonable to me. Your resolution, however, is a lot higher than that. And who would've anticipated that the game would still be played 15 years later? Most games have lost all attraction LONG before that! So nobody ever considered that one might want to have a higher FPS. Even though I understand that it bums you out, it seems logical to me.

#8 25-06-2019 
  • Registered
(25-06-2019 12:40 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  

Okay, I fix it by myself, since I have The Sims 2 Life Stories I tried to replace The Sims 2 Base Game materials, and got some glitches with shadows and particles but stable 60 FPS with vsync on:

And after some edits I came to success:
vsync on (60 FPS):
vsync off (120+ FPS):

Now The Sims 2 Base Game can be played with 60+ FPS, with updated materials!

Installation:
For The Sims 2 Base Game ONLY
Replace your materials, don't forget to BACKUP:

Quote:EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Materials

Attached File(s)
.rar  Materials.rar (Size: 318.94 KB / Downloads: 451)

#9 25-06-2019 
I don't really get why you quoted my message, since it is totally irrelevant to your response.

Also, I don't know where you learned to put almost everything in spoilers, but you may relax here, friend. We're not that uptight. We don't believe that there's anything wrong with posting some pictures, and more than a few lines of text without hiding everything. In fact, the overuse of spoilers gets old quickly. We only use them to protect people from insanely large walls of text, or from accidentally seeing stuff that would spoil their fun, like the solution to a riddle.

#10 01-08-2019 
@juancar can you explain what exactly you tweaked and how? I'm just curious. Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option