What started you simming?
#71 31-10-2018 
(31-10-2018 02:08 AM)BoilingOil Wrote:  
(31-10-2018 01:23 AM)Kunder Wrote:  Well, The time had come..... <...snip...>
Feels good to be nice. Smile

And now you have me completely confused. So this story tells us that you bought the game twice, and gave both copies away...
OK, I get how that makes you nice, and how that gives you a great feeling. Because it *is* nice to be nice.

But here's the confusing part... You say you buy a set from this girl. Then you send her *original* set back to her, you say.
Then later, you say you bought a set from Ebay, which you sent her, while you gave *her* set to a friend...
These statements cannot both be right. If you sent back the original set, then you could not give that set to your friend as well. And if the girl had back her original set, then why did you send her the set that you bought off Ebay?

Also, all of that does NOT explain in the least how you got to play sims yourself -- which is, what this thread is about.

So, could you please explain further? Because I'm totally in the dark, here...

@BoilingOil

I bought "Box-O-Sims" at a yard sale.

RECAP:

I bought the Sims series once at a yard sale. I bought a SECOND copy of the original "The Sims", because I gave away the original "The Sims" I got in the yard sale box. "Sarah" now has that.

"Sarah" also got my daughters copy of Sims 4 (by accident).

I kept all the flash drives. I play off of those.

I hope this clears it up. Smile
(This post was last modified: 31-10-2018 06:40 PM by Kunder.)

#72 31-10-2018 
Ah, yes, much less confusing. Thank you! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

#73 31-10-2018 
(31-10-2018 07:23 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Ah, yes, much less confusing. Thank you! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Glad I could help you out there, buddy. Big Grin

#74 17-04-2019 
I think the first time I saw the sims was version 1 at a friends house and I liked it right away. But I didn't have my own computer yet and no money for a game like that either. After Sims 2 came out I played it a few times at friends houses but I still didn't have the money for it (I'm a little obsessed with things like that, meaning wanting the game meant having ALL of it or nothing). Finally in 2009 the sims 3 was released and the brother of my best friend just gave me all of his sims 2 cds. It was during summer holidays and I don't think I saw any sun at all cause I was just crazy about the game.
I got the complete pack with all expansions&stuff packs from him. I didn't have a good internet connection yet but I knew about cc from my friends so I asked them if they could get me some. I ended up with cds full of stuff they just burned right from their downloads folder (which as you can imagine was quite a mess Wink )
So I guess I'm actually playing for 10 years now (on and off) didn't even realise that until now. It feels longer, probably of all the time I obsessed over it before having it. It's exactly the kind of game that speaks to me, mostly because I can mod&cheat to get my way. That's usually something that puts me off in other games when they force their methods or time management on me. I enjoy the building the most and I even tried other programms for that like House Filipper, Chief Architect or Sweet Home 3d but none of it had the charm or the great community the sims have.
When I got my latest computer with win 10 I needed another hard disk and since it was a cheap computer there weren't enough slots in it so I had to use the one from my CD-Drive. Luckily I can still play the sims with the nocdfix (wherever I got that from) but I still regret that I missed out on that Ultimate Collection offer.
I'm still amazed how fast the game is running nowadays with newer computers. It doesn't seem to matter how much cc I dump in my downloads folder whereas I can remember times when the game without any cc took enough time to load to cook dinner meanwhile.

#75 28-12-2019 
  • Registered
My mom used to be in love with the sims so when I was about 4. I started playing the Sims 2 and it became a part of me after that.

#76 29-12-2019 
I bought a "Box-O-Sims a few years back, from a teenage girl who was forced to sell her Sims collection by her parents at a yard sale. I got it for $25.

It had TS1-TS3, plus Medieval, Castaways, and Life Stories. Well, not too long ago, that little girl, got a care package from me, with all her Sims collection in it. She got it on her 18th Birthday. Smile Of course, I made copies of everything first.

I got a very, nice letter from her in return, telling me "Thank You", and just how much she missed her Sims. Oh, BTW. I had a spare Lenovo T430, with nVidia, NVS 5400m graphics, 12gb/RAM, and a 480gb SSD. She also got that as a B'day gift from me, and The Sims 2, was pre-loaded for her. Smile

#77 04-01-2020 
  • Registered
It's so fun to read everyone's experiences starting The Sims. Like some people, I had actually played Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon - as a kid I had always been in search of a game where I could really "play house" and build in a house and live in it, create a character, etc. I finally played The Sims Bustin' Out on the Nintendo GameCube in 2004, I actually rented it from Blockbuster lol, and I was hooked! That led to buying the original The Sims on the PC, and later The Sims 2, which really got me obsessed (and I still am to this day). There's just nothing like it, I love filling the neighborhoods with my own Sims and building up a town of my own creation. It's just so customizable, and quirky and fun! Tongue

#78 16-01-2020 
We were living in Thailand and my husband saw Sims 1 in a shop, and thought I may like it. He brought it home and I played it for a couple of years; it was love at first sight. Then in 2005, we moved back to the U.S. and I got the Sims 2 as soon as I could. I still remember vividly starting it up for the first time and the music still makes me happy. Veronaville was the first neighborhood I played, but since about 2008 I've been playing custom hoods prosperity challenge-style. I've played Sims 2 ever since 2005, with brief breaks to play Skyrim and Stardew Valley. I didn't find the sims community until probably 2008 or 2009; I guess I didn't go online much in those days!! I tried Sims 4 for about 18 months but it just does not have the complexity and the appeal. I love making my own worlds. Building is probably what keeps me playing but I build with certain sims in mind rather than in a vacuum. Currently I'm playing the MCC. I always wonder how I'll manage if or when a day comes that I can't play Sims 2 anymore.

#79 31-08-2020 
Before getting Sims 1, around 2000 or whenever it first came out, I had been playing computer games for years, mostly wargames. Not first-person shooters, but games similar, albeit considerably "deeper", than Panzer General. I got Sims 1 because it sounded interesting and was getting very good word-of-mouth. After 2 expansions I grew tired of it though.
In 2004 I got Sims 2, probably mostly because of the vastly better building options. But that didn't last too long either, and I sold it with the first two expansions in late 2005. One of the things that frustrated me was having to wait about 6 months for each of the expansions, which were also expensive. I figured I'd wait a couple of years and then buy everything a lot cheaper.
A couple of years turned into 2012, when I ended up buying it all for about $100 total, and I've been playing it, or should I say making houses with it, ever since.
The thing that attracts me to the game is that it is very relaxing.

I bought Sims 3 with a couple of the expansions about 2 years ago, but have never even installed it. I don't know if my computer can even handle it and I dread having to learn everything all over again.

I frankly wish a developer/publisher other than Maxis/EA would come out with a Sims-like game. I'm thinking there has to be another approach that avoids the various shortcomings of the Sims series. Something that is also more adult oriented - and I don't mean nudity or that kind of thing, just more real-life situations, instead of the target audience of 12-year-olds.
(This post was last modified: 31-08-2020 09:24 AM by ScaryRob.)

#80 24-09-2020 
  • Registered
I was in fourth grade, I believe. I wasn't much of a gamer as a child as my parents could not afford to purchase me a console. My friend told me about the game, but she decided to do so by explaining the pie menu first. So, essentially I got this: "You click on flowers, a person's head shows up, and then you click on actions that are floating around the head." Needless to say, I was very confused and thought my friend was silly for playing a game with floating heads.

But, I was intrigued. And since the game could be played on a PC, it was a game I could access. Asked my mother if she would take me to Toys 'R' Us (they were still a thing) to purchase it. My mother and I knew nothing about games, so when I saw the various expansions and such, we had to ask for help. Walked away with The Sims Deluxe Edition (I think it was base game and Livin' Large in one). Sims 2 had just been released recently, but the store clerk suggested I try The Sims first.

My first family's kids slept in the kitchen. The bathtub was outside. I was clueless, but was having fun. I learned quickly and finally realised what my friend meant when she described the pie menu! Later, another friend of mine got The Sims 2 after playing my game, and this is what prompted me to grab the new generation as well. The rest is history. I got The Sims 3 when that came out and loved it, despite the many issues I had with running it. I got The Sims 4 on release as well, but I got very bored very quickly. So, I stuck with The Sims 2. It's only recently that I've gotten into The Sims 4, but The Sims 2 remains my all-time favourite. Smile

Sorry, that is a members only option