My sims 2 game crashes after a few sim days
#1 30-08-2023 
Hallo Smile

I am having a huge issue with my sims 2 game crashing after a few sim days, i have tried partial removing all of my CC and then it all together, but the problem still stands Undecided I keep getting this ACCESS_VIOLATION error in the logs
I have the 4 GB patch, and i think my graphic ruler is correct Huh

Appreciate any help Big Grin

Attached File(s)
.txt  DESKTOP-9E2RK3P-config-log.txt (Size: 10.82 KB / Downloads: 98)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 113.81 KB / Downloads: 112)
.txt  Sims2Exception 2023.08.30 03.02.48.txt (Size: 15.82 KB / Downloads: 93)

#2 31-08-2023 
My first tip is: after every play session, delete the file named "groups.cache". This file will automatically be created, every time that you start the game, but it gets corrupted over time, especially when you add/remove CC and mods. Corruptions in this file are the most common reason for ACCESS_VIOLATION errors.
In fact, the "accessory.cache" file should also frequently be removed.

#3 31-08-2023 
I actually have tried that multiable times, but i still get an ACESS_VIOLATION... Sad

Are there other options? :/

#4 31-08-2023 
Okay, the graphics card is properly recognized (driver named the same as in the database), and the 4GB patch works, as is indicated by the free memory being 4096MB.
So those are fine.
Also, according to the DxDiag file, your system has more memory available than the 4GB that the game with the patch uses.
So, with that in mind, there is one thing that makes no sense, and which *could* indeed cause trouble...
With that graphics card, and at least 8 GB of memory in your system, I do not see a good reason why you would have your texture memory set to ONLY 224 MB.
Word to the wise: make that 2048 MB, and then see what happens!

Finally, there is no need to ever include an Sims2Exception file, UNLESS someone asks for it. Most of us won't, because hardly anyone knows what to do with those.

#5 31-08-2023 
Thank you, i try set it to 2048 MB, and see what happens. I had just heard directx9 couldt handle too much texture memory thats why i had set it so low.

And i remeber for the future the Sims2Exception file is not relevant to include Wink

#6 31-08-2023 
Config is reporting:
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): GeForce 7800 GTX

DxDiag says:
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

So... that doesn't match up. Did you try doing the DXVK-thingy? Because that is not necessary for a lot of machines. If you don't need it, get rid of it.
DxDiag also says:
DirectX Version: DirectX 12 (So, you are not on dx9.)

#7 31-08-2023 
I know, but the game is from the directx9-era, and my games look improved alot after i included directx9-files. Before that i could ex not move the edge slider in the graphic settings, so i think its necessary to me.

Dont know if its relevant to include, but i have manily followed this guide to make the game run better: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19JMr...qjrrcnvrvk

#8 31-08-2023 
(31-08-2023 01:40 PM)Inessa Wrote:  Thank you, i try set it to 2048 MB, and see what happens. I had just heard directx9 couldt handle too much texture memory thats why i had set it so low.

And i remeber for the future the Sims2Exception file is not relevant to include Wink

Ah, I see. But when we're talking about 'too much' memory for DX9 to handle, we're looking at much more than even 8192 MB. 2048 MB is really not a problem.

(31-08-2023 01:47 PM)CatherineTCJD Wrote:  DxDiag says:
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 5500
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

As we're there anyway, the DxDiag ALSO reports the following:

Card name: AMD Radeon ™ R5 M330
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

So there is even more choice. Smile

#9 31-08-2023 
Yeah i believe my computer has a dual Graphics card, but i think its the intel one it mainly uses, but its strange with Radeon-card because in GRM its says under "device-info" it is disconnected, not sure if it matters too much.

#10 01-09-2023 
Oh Pooh! Slap I didn't read down far enough in the log!
Sorry I missed the AMD card. Blush

Have you tried withOUT the DXVK-thing? That guide you are following is all about using the DXVK... not everyone needs it.
I recommend this guide: https://marasims.tumblr.com/post/1732317...-crash-fix

If it were me, I would use the AMD card - at least try it (It should perform better than the basic Intel, I would think - though I've never used AMD, I use NVIDIA.)
Go into your computer's settings and figure out how to connect the card.
Then use the GRM to add it to the database, and see how it goes.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option