Sims 2 Pink Flashing + Crashes no matter what I do
#1 21-01-2024 
  • Registered
I swear I have read every Reddit thread, watched every video and googled to the ends of the earth and I’m still experiencing pink flashes and crashes.

I have Sims2RPC and checked so the 4gb patch is working
Graphics Rules Maker knows my graphics card and I have all settings that apply to me
(I have it set to force texture memory to 2048)
I clear my standby memory every 5-10 minutes
I have most settings on low-medium and 0 view distance
I clear all the thumbnails before launching

Sometimes, I’m able to play for hours on end and load up other lots without any issues. Other times I’ll load in and it’ll flash before it either crashes or I’m forced to quit. Or it’ll play fine until 1 sim or object starts flashing and crashes AS I GO TO SAVE so I can quit without losing progress.

I’m coming here because I’ve seen how some simmers actually know how to decipher files like graphics rules etc. and I’m hoping someone here can notice something in any important files of mine that effect the sims.

Some info about my system:
CPU: Intel CORE i5/i7 (on my phone rn so I cannot check)
GPU: Intel Iris Plus Graphics
RAM: 8gb
VRAM: 128Mb (apparently because it’s integrated graphics)

I’m on like a 3 year old busted laptop and I may or may not have 12gb of CC and mods…
It may just be a case of my computer literally not having enough memory to handle all the crap I have installed, in that case I’m already planning on upgrading but I would like to potentially play frustration free until that point.

I don’t know exactly what type of files would be worthwhile viewing, that’s why none are part of this post- pls if you can help LMK what you’d like to see!

Thank you for any help Smile

#2 21-01-2024 
Moved this thread from Discussion to Graphics Cards section, because that is a more appropriate area for issues like this.
Please add a post specifying your OS (windows version), with your -config-log.txt and DXDiag.txt attached (not copy&pasted).

Best regards,
BoilingOil

#3 22-01-2024 
  • Registered
(21-01-2024 07:12 PM)BoilingOil Wrote:  Moved this thread from Discussion to Graphics Cards section, because that is a more appropriate area for issues like this.
Please add a post specifying your OS (windows version), with your -config-log.txt and DXDiag.txt attached (not copy&pasted).

Best regards,
BoilingOil

Oh sorry about putting it in the wrong section, first post here.

I'm on Windows 11 w/ its most recent update.

I attached the 2 files, didnt change anything except removing the user name in the config-log.txt to avoid doxxing myself lol (I made a copy so the original is still in my game)

Attached File(s)
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 87.84 KB / Downloads: 38)
.txt  LAPTOP-CLGSKNES-config-log.txt (Size: 10.71 KB / Downloads: 36)

#4 23-01-2024 
Have you seen/tried what anachronisims says to try here? https://www.tumblr.com/anachronisims/740...ce-preview

#5 26-01-2024 
You have integrated graphics with only 128Mb dedicated memory, so it is not going to be able to handle a large amount of cc, large viewing distances, or high poly/texture items well.

#6 26-01-2024 
Running Windows 11, it may not be impossible to play TS2 properly, but it can be tricky to get it right.

Also, having beefed up the Graphics memory to 4095 MB using RAM, means that you don't have enough RAM available to make full use of the 4GB patch.
If it were me, I'd prefer bringing Graphics memory down to 2GB (at least until you can upgrade the system), so the game has at least the full amount of working space.
And indeed go easy on the CC for now, because that 8GB virtual memory (page file) may help a bit, but it tends to slow stuff down a lot because that is really just harddisk space that pretends to be RAM.

But on top of it all, I'd suggest either:
  • upgrading your RAM with an extra 8GB (so you can actually have 4GB of working memory for the game)
  • installing a Graphics card with AT LEAST 2GB, but preferrably 4GB of GDDR (so you no longer need to use RAM to beef up the graphics)
  • OR both of the above.
  • OR, if you can find one, a computer with both more RAM *and* a better Graphics Card.

The cheapest of the bottom two options is preferred. But if money is a problem, then you might want to stick with either of the first two.

#7 31-01-2024 
  • Registered
I played around w/ my memory allocation and found it wasn't actually clearing my standby memory correctly so I fixed it and now MOST families are loading correctly. Some are still causing issues, but I assume its because they live in much bigger and more cluttered/decorated homes. For that I did some digging and found my laptop can hold 12gb of RAM, so I'm going to upgrade to that amount and pray that's enough for now.

Thank you for your help and my apologies for not replying sooner Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option