There are multiple mods out there that allow for autonomous storing of leftovers. Three of them I know of: dizzy, AncientHighway, and MogHughson each have made their own versions. They all missed something, though...
This new mod (version 1.4) is smaller than all the others, and it allows autonomous storage of leftovers, but there are some twists:
1. Sitting sims will NOT get up to autonomously store leftovers or clean up dishes. EVER!
2. On ANY lot where a Dorm Cook works (either real dorms, or fakes with Inge Jones' ijStoveNPCalwaysPatch from Simlogical, for example), sims will NEVER autonomously store leftovers.
3. On ANY lot where a Dorm Cook works (as above), dishes can ONLY be autonomously cleaned up, if they're NOT in the cafeteria.
4. On any other residential lot, sims will NEVER autonomously clean up a dish that could be stored as leftovers, UNLESS they're already collecting dishes to clean up, in which case they may also pick up leftovers.
5. When cleaning up, sims will now collect 7 dishes maximum, in stead of 5 (one serving platter plus the six food dishes it should provide by default).
6. Sloppy sims and children may autonomously lick plates clean.
There's two versions of the mod in this archive:
BO - Food Dish Autonomy.package : This is the standard version, do NOT use this if you have MogHughson's Simply Leftovers, because they will clash. This clash can not be resolved. The last mod to load will control how leftovers are handled. (see LOAD ORDER)
BO - Food Dish Autonomy-MogH.package: This is the alternative version, designed for use WITH MogHughson's Simply Leftovers. Do NOT use this if you don't have MogHughson's mod. HCDU *will* report a conflict, but this is an intentional LOAD ORDER issue! The latest version of Mog's mod (dated september 2010) *must* be present, and it *must* load *before* mine!
(Note: in previous versions, the 'MogH' version was named differently. Be sure to remove the old version, when you start using this new one)
Of course, you use only *one* of these two package files. Loading both is nonsense, and can only result in problems!
UPDATE, August 3rd, 2011: As was recently pointed out, a bug was present in the MogH-compatible version. Sims on residential lots would clean up a freshly made meal, and call it "put away leftovers as single plates". This is not what I had in mind! Version 1.5 now addresses that issue!
If you're not using MogHughson's Simply Leftovers, you do NOT need to redownload yet, although I would advise you to (in case you change your mind later).
UPDATE, May 23rd, 2015 (mod filedate April 30st, 2012): Version 1.6 is a cleaned-up version that I meant to release three years ago, but did not get around to before my system broke. I cannot determine if this update fixes anything important other than just efficiency and filesize, so I'm not saying that one must re-download. UNLESS one encounters any kind of issues with the previous version, in which case that is my *first* advise. Because I *do* recall some people reporting problems long ago, but as long as I have been running this version, I have not seen any issues myself. So if you're not yet using version 1.6, in case of any issues I will not be able to offer any support other than "Oh my, I'm so sorry for your troubles...".
UPDATE, March 1st, 2016: It seems that I have mis-represented this mod's requirements. The minimal EP required is "Bon Voyage", not "Seasons" as I stated earlier. I'm deeply ashamed of this screw-up, for which I offer my most sincere apologies.
File Updated 23-05-2015