sims2 #1
To those people who are still using version 1.3, I apologize for the horrible substandard abomination I inflicted upon you all before. There was little - if any - excuse for that. Now I offer you version 1.6, which will actually do as I promise you here.

There are multiple mods out there that allow for autonomous storing of leftovers. Three of them I know of: dizzy (sorry, no link available), AncientHighway (also no link), and MogHughson each have made their own versions. They all missed something, though...

This new mod (version 1.6) is a cleaned up, efficient mod that allows for autonomous storage of leftovers. And it's smaller than all the others mentioned.
But there are some twists to how mine works:
  • Sitting sims will NOT get up to autonomously store leftovers or clean up dishes. EVER!
  • On ANY lot where a Dorm Cook works (either real dorms, or fakes with Inge Jones' ijStoveNPCalwaysPatch from Simlogical, for example), sims will NEVER autonomously store leftovers.
  • On ANY lot where a Dorm Cook works (as above), dishes can ONLY be autonomously cleaned up, if they're NOT in the cafeteria.
  • On any other residential lot, sims will NEVER autonomously clean up a dish that could be stored as leftovers, UNLESS they're already collecting dishes to clean up, in which case they may also pick up leftovers.
  • When cleaning up, sims will now collect 7 dishes maximum, in stead of 5 (one serving platter plus the six food dishes it should provide by default).
  • Sloppy sims and children may autonomously lick plates clean.

There are two versions of the mod in this archive:

BO - Food Dish Autonomy.package : This is the standard version, do NOT use this if you have MogHughson's Simply Leftovers, because they will clash. This clash can not be resolved. The last mod to load will control how leftovers are handled. (see LOAD ORDER)

BO - Food Dish Autonomy-MogH.package: This is the alternative version, designed for use WITH MogHughson's Simply Leftovers. Do NOT use this if you don't have MogHughson's mod. HCDU *will* report a conflict, but this is an intentional LOAD ORDER issue! The latest version of Mog's mod (dated september 2010) *must* be present, and it *must* load *before* mine!

(Note: in previous versions, the 'MogH' version was named differently. Be sure to remove the old version, when you start using this new one)

Of course, you use only *one* of these two package files. Loading both is nonsense, and can only result in problems!

UPDATE, May 23rd, 2015 (mod filedate April 30st, 2012): Version 1.6 is a cleaned-up version that I meant to release three years ago, but did not get around to before my system broke. I cannot determine if this update fixes anything important other than just efficiency and filesize, so I'm not saying that one must re-download. UNLESS one encounters any kind of issues with the previous version, in which case that is my *first* advise. Because I *do* recall some people reporting problems long ago, but as long as I have been running this version, I have not seen any issues myself. So if you're not yet using version 1.6, in case of any issues I will not be able to offer any support other than "Oh my, I'm so sorry for your troubles...".

UPDATE, March 1st, 2016: It seems that I have mis-represented this mod's requirements. The minimal EP required is "Bon Voyage", not "Seasons" as I stated earlier. I'm deeply ashamed of this screw-up, for which I offer my most sincere apologies.

Happy Simming.

I've used quite a few mods by others, thus taking FROM the community. With the work that *I* create, I'm hoping to give something back TO the community.

Do with my work whatever the &#$% you like. If you re-use, edit and republish my work, I consider it a compliment. Especially if you let me know about it, and mention me in the credits.

But, although I would *appreciate* the note and the credits, if you choose to be a dick and act as if YOU created my mods, there's not a whole lot I can do to stop you, so I won't even TRY.

Enjoy.

Screenshots
BO - Food Dish Autonomy Screenshot      
Download link
Filesize 3.43 KB | File Name BO - Food Dish Autonomy v1.6.zip | # of Downloads 3,752
File Updated 23-05-2015

Comments
#49 01-07-2020
Hi @lauraplayssims,

I also still hope that it's some mod combo that causes this issue, but there's nothing in the HCDU lists that suggests that.

You thank me for my help, but I really feel like I've done nothing to deserve that gratitude. The problem is not yet solved, and I feel that this may be one that I don't have an answer to.

Wait, there's one other thing... After adding, removing or updating any mods, do you ever delete the groups.cache file? Not everyone knows this, but it is important that you do.

Oh, and you said somewhere something about minimal changes and compression... What you do to custom objects, skintones, outfits and recolors, is up to you, of course. But I would advise AGAINST making ANY changes to gameplay modifications (mods). The way I see it, as soon as you start changing anything about a mod, the warranty is null and void. Meaning that nobody can guarantee that it will still work as promised.
I will try to explain that. Most modders make more than one mod. And they give their mods names that make sense to them. And if some of these mods touch the same parts of the game (intentional conflicts), they must be loaded in a specific order to work best. The modder has then already thought about how to name them for best effect. If you change that, you change the way these mods are supposed to work!
Also, some modders make mods that intentionally conflict with mods by others, so they may make special arrangements to ensure that these work properly, too. And otherwise they tell you exactly in which order to load these mods. Putting mods in different sub-folders and renaming those folders to ensure the correct load order is the SAFEST way to do that.
So, taking all these into account, I would suggest that you NEVER change the names of mods.

And finally compression... I suppose you use the famous "Compressorizer" for that? When it comes to sims, furniture, objects, outfits, hairs, recolors and whatnot... go right ahead and compressorize all you want. Many of these things take way too much space, and can use a little deflation. But the compressorizer is not kind towards most behaviour-modifications and other gameplay changing gadgets; it has been known to BREAK them. And I remember having seen mods that got altered in such a way that their conflicts with other mods were no longer recognized by the HCDU! That is a BIG PROBLEM!
These mods are mostly no larger than a few kilobytes anyway, so there is hardly anything to be gained from compressing those. Also, some of the responsible modders (well, actually just me, said the fool) compress stuff themselves where it is possible. Internally. In SimPE. Without using damaging tools such as the compressorizer! Using the compressorizer on those would most CERTAINLY break stuff.

So, whatever mods you have in use... I would strongly advise you to see if you can still re-download them from wherever they originally came from, and use them WITHOUT making any changes to them. And use a mod-sorting system similar to mine for best load-order enforcing.

#50 11-06-2021
  • Registered
Hello! Smile Would it be possible to make sims not put food away during parties?

#51 11-06-2021
Hi @Spazmunki13,

I must honestly admit that I've never considered taking parties into account. And to be completely fair, I wouldn't know how to go about that, either.

Maybe it's a good idea to put the fridge in someone's inventory, so nobody can get to it.

#52 24-09-2022
  • Registered
Hi! The problem with cleaning up stale food seems to be a conflict between this mod and Smarter Food Serving by Cyjon.

Sorry, that is a members only option