Object Creation and Me
#1 19-12-2010 
  • Fishlike Associate
Okaaaaayy...so I've been working diligently on making my shrubbery fences recolorable.

First thing I've done is ditch the S3OC/S3PE process. It's too damn complicated...

So I get TSRW and my life became soooooo much easier.

I cloned a recolorable fence that already had an alpha channel, and swapped textures/mesh. And it worked! New shrubbery fence that recolors Big Grin

I repeated the same process with the three other fences. But, it didn't work.

Notice how the texture of the EHS (right) is all blurry compared to the HS (left) and the mesh looks like it's stuck in a low LOD mode. I don't understand it. All four fences have the exact same texture, same specular, same everything. But only the HS fence looks correct. And no matter how many times I remake the fences, the only one that looks correct is the HS fence.

I'm really frustrated because I was soooo close.

Any ideas as to what's going on?
Actually...now that I look at it, even thought he texture is right, the HS mesh's alpha information is still not copying over right. There should be transparent areas in between the branches. =/

#2 19-12-2010 
Post the package Dal, lets have a look.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#3 19-12-2010 
  • Fishlike Associate
This is the one working fence:

.rar  daluved1_highershrubbery_fencing.rar (Size: 119.53 KB / Downloads: 609)

These are the broken ones:

.rar  broken shrubbery.rar (Size: 315.33 KB / Downloads: 601)
Leesesters favourite make up artist

#4 19-12-2010 
What version of the demon tool are you using?

(its me - am checking out leefish speeds etc as "ordinary fish")
A loyal sockfish

#5 19-12-2010 
I was looking on google for TSRW Alphas - found this by emhpb for her wings. I guess your fence should be similar.

"Step 3 - A brief overview of the textures

All textures except for the overlay should have no alpha and be saved as DXT1.

Overlay
The overlay is the first texture you should see, if you don't want an overlay, click the edit button, and then the make empty button in the window. Otherwise, your overlay should be a colored image on a transparent background, saved as DXT5 or DXT3.

Mask
The mask should be the recolor channels you want to use, make it as usual and save as DXT1. if you are disabling all patterns, and just using an overlay for the color, don't even bother changing the mask, or use any mask.

Transparency Map
Most of the time, the transparency map is completely black and white. The white part is the shape of your wings, anything that's white is something you want to show up in game, and anything that is black is something you want to be invisible. If your transparency map is all black, you will see the wings as invisible. If your transparency map is all white, you will see a big square behind the sim. So don't make it all black or all white.

To easily get a transparency map in GIMP, hide/delete the background of your multiplier, so only the shape of the wings on a transparency background is visible. Then zoom out so you can see the entire image, go to the channels tab, and drag the alpha channel onto the image. Then save this layer as your transparency map, DXT1.

Multiplier
The multiplier should be a medium grey image of your wings as usual, but with a black background, saved as DXT1.

Specular
The specular should be the multiplier, but slightly darker. Just make it how you usually make a specular, and save as DXT1.

Other Textures
Ignore the other textures, unless you actually do know what to do with them. The only other texture you should be touching is the bumpmap, but only if you've done bumpmaps before."

Possible resource: Yes sorry, will have to go - well, to the Dark Side. Do ya want this fence that much? Yea, I guess WE do..................

http://www.thesimsresource.com/resources...ng/id/156/
A loyal sockfish

#6 23-01-2011 
  • Fishlike Associate
I'm hoping to revive this project soon.

I've done some research and I haven't yet found any custom fence that has an alpha mesh. However, I've learned a little more about TSRW and how to dig in all the little fiddly files (mesh materials, etc) so maybe the solution to the wonky alphas lies there?
Leesesters favourite make up artist

#7 23-01-2011 
It may well be - if you have any handy tips on TSRW I would love to see them Smile
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

Sorry, that is a members only option