End of the Road for SIMS3?
#11 22-02-2011 
  • Fishlike Associate
ETA - Ah, I see they're talking about Sims Medieval. But, isn't that a stand alone game?
Leesesters favourite make up artist

#12 22-02-2011 
Well, the sims medieval is a stand alone. But in a way, WA was an RPG - had to do this that and the other before you could do certain things. Its the same with some of the careers in Ambitions. Me, I LIKE RPGs - I'm goal-orientated, I like to tick the box....

They are just moaning in general - biggest concern is that they think EA sucks.....
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#13 26-02-2011 
Firstly, let me say that I haven't played TS3 beyond a (horribly lame) demo thingy, so my opinions of it are based solely on the game play aspects that I learn about from EA & from TS3 discussion threads. That said, here's my 2 cents worth on this subject...of which I have strong opinions!

I first got into the Sims world just after "Unleashed" was released for TS1 & was hooked instantly. When TS2 first came out I was leery (nobody likes change, do they!) and stubbornly stuck to my TS1 guns...but some of the things those "crazy" TS2 players were talking about sounded really neat, so I started silently mulling over the idea of getting TS2.

Then "Pets" was released and (being a pet lover) I took my Xmas money down to the local store where I purchased every EP/SP available at the time. There was no contest: TS2 was a huge leap forward for the Sims series & I have never looked back. (Except to miss some of the TS1 features I wish EA would have carried over...but that's another rant!)

So this time when plans for TS3 were first announced, I decided to keep an open mind. After all, I was terrified of TS2 & it surpassed TS1 by leaps & bounds, so what could be so bad about TS3?

Unfortunately, I started to see red flags popping up all over the place (the most notable being Rod Humble's interview quote about wanting to make the Sims "all things to all players" which is an instant death-knell for any game series) but I dismissed those thoughts & kept trying to look at the good stuff.

Then the game was actually released & I had the horrible realization that something was seriously wrong this time.

When TS2 was released & I was still clinging doggedly to TS1, the ratio of "stuff that scared me" to "stuff that sounded friggen awesome" was something like 1 to 10. Meaning that for every 1 TS2 feature I was leery of there were 10 features that I really liked the sound of. (That's what a good game sequel should be like!)

When TS3 hit the shelves & everybody started posting about it, that "don't like" to "like" ratio was more like 10 to 1! It seemed that for every 1 TS3 feature I liked the sound of there were 10 features (or more precisely, lacking features) that I read about! I would gain a "seamless" neighborhood, body-shape sliders & the ability to change shoes...

...but I would be giving up memories (arguably my favorite TS2 feature), the ability to play more than one family at a time (what the @#$% where they thinking???), the ability to control other families/Sims at all (wee! lets watch all the other families age & die without my input! what fun!), actual personalities (as I understand it, even giving a Sim the "dislikes children" trait still doesn't stop them from wanting change their kid's diapers & such) actual body shapes (as I can have much better variation with custom meshes in TS2 than can ever be achieved through the TS3 "sliders") any sign of aliens (which are something of a Sims "signature" feature), Sims with any attractiveness at all (OMG those TS3 "bloated balloons" are hideous things!) & a game I can actually run (as even folks with super gaming PCs report random crashouts for no reason, especially when EPs are installed)

Oh yeah, then there's the whole f'd up time-line crap! (So Kaylynn is now a child around the same time as Mortimer Goth, eh? Way to go, dumb asses!) I'm a real stickler for "time-line" consistency, so this was a real nail in the TS3 coffin for me!

Seems like a pretty big price to pay for being able to change a Sims shoes, don't you think?

While I will be sad to see the series end (because I was holding out hope for either a surprise TS2 EP or a TS4 which would be a super awesome blending of the best features from all 3 games...after Will Wright 1st bludgeons Rod Humble to death, of course!) if it spares me from having to watch the game completely go to hell I guess it's for the best. And don't get me started on the whole "Sims-meets-RPG" thing, better know as "Sims Medieval".....

Thankfully there are still folks like BO, TJ & Cyjon out there who haven't (yet) fallen into the TS3 trap so at least for now us TS2 fans can continue to play the (ever improving) game we love!
***Proud member of Leefish since Oct 2010***
**Queen of the Reticulated MoonBat Society**
***Long Live the Wolves & all Wild Canines!***

#14 26-02-2011 
Quote:(wee! lets watch all the other families age & die without my input! what fun!)
Nonni is nodding agreement. *yes, I do know that this is a sarcastic statement*
Quote:While I will be sad to see the series end (because I was holding out hope for either a surprise TS2 EP or a TS4 which would be a super awesome blending of the best features from all 3 games...
Me, too. *sniffle-sniffle*
Quote:Thankfully there are still folks like BO, TJ & Cyjon out there who haven't (yet) fallen into the TS3 trap so at least for now us TS2 fans can continue to play the (ever improving) game we love!
Well said.

My son is a game programmer and he was strongly advised not to go to work for EA. I am relieved that he didn't. That comment may seem out of context with this thread but in Nonni's mind it is logical.

#15 26-02-2011 
* BoilingOil agrees whole-heartedly as well.

I can not speak for the likes of TJ and Cyjon, of course, although they *do* state that they have no intention of modding for TS3 (which would mean they remain available as TS2 modders), but *I* am *not* going to change my way. I'll be a TS2 modder until the game loses all of its attraction for me. And seeing how I'm a bit weird upstairs (TS2 is the only game installed on my system), that might not happen for a long time yet!

And I'll have to be so filthy steenkin' rich that money loses its meaning, before I ever spend half a rusty nickel on TS3. So that's not likely to happen, either.

#16 26-02-2011 
(26-02-2011 08:00 PM)Nonni Wrote:  My son is a game programmer and he was strongly advised not to go to work for EA. I am relieved that he didn't. That comment may seem out of context with this thread but in Nonni's mind it is logical.

Nonni, you & I are going to get along famously!

My "mind" has never been overly concerned with such ridiculous things like logic. I find it gets in the way of really important things, like re-arranging a Sim's household decor for the 125th time, hunting down the exact custom outfit/item I need for a single story screenshot or ranting about what a load of doggy doo-doo TS3 turned out to be...you know, the everyday/normal things in a TS2 player's life!

Logic, shmogic: Life's to short for such insanity!

(P.S. I am glad to see your son didn't end up working for "the enemy", as I image that would have made holidays kind of difficult!)
***Proud member of Leefish since Oct 2010***
**Queen of the Reticulated MoonBat Society**
***Long Live the Wolves & all Wild Canines!***

#17 26-02-2011 
Quote:My "mind" has never been overly concerned with such ridiculous things like logic.

Regardless of sex, color or creed...
Me thinks I am IN LUV!!!
*heart flutters*

Sorry, that is a members only option