Business Rank Name
#11 04-04-2011 
No, for simple testing purposes, I merely changed one of the languages... The one that I use myself. Or actually two, because I'm never sure whether I'm using US- or UK-english Wink

#12 05-04-2011 
Yes, I have that too - I am never sure either. Hmmm. Well, its all very odd.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#13 05-04-2011 
Glad that you found something that deals with it so that is a good start! Big Grin
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#14 05-04-2011 
well if you need a spanish translator ... im right here .....

#15 05-04-2011 
Why, thank you Levini, but I guess there will be no need for that. I'll explain now...

1. I'm using Phaenoh's JobLevel mod myself, and she's already translated 'Level' in multiple languages. So I could just look at her mod Smile I need nothing else.
2. Because some of the Business Ranks have such long titles, in some cases an addition like "(Lvl 10)" is too much to show up in-game... It gets truncated at "(Lvl", which isn't very helpful anyway... So, I'm not going to use any words... just level numbers in brackets, like "(10)". Numbers need no translation in ANY language Wink

Anyway, now here's another problem: I've tried everything now, and I can't get the Business Rank renaming to work UNLESS I name the mod "Live.package". Apparently, if you alter anything from the .\TSData\Res\Text\ folder, the package you create REQUIRES to have EXACTLY the same name as the package you extracted it from.

The issue is this: Obviously, you can't have two files with the same name in the same folder, but many people alread HAVE a Live.package containing new names for their Sims/Pets, so they would need to store different Live.packages in different subfolders under "Downloads". Also, introducing another Live.package to change Business Ranks is somewhat tricky... People may eventually forget why they got TWO packages of the same name and delete one of them.

Now I *will* continue work on this, putting the level numbers in all the available translations, and I *will* release it when done! But I'm certainly not happy, because there's going to be lots of n00bs asking stupid questions about having two cheats with the same name, and why it won't work after they've renamed one of these. Damn EA! Damn them to Hell!

#16 05-04-2011 
aha - that must be why Phae said she had incorporated menacemans fix and said it would conflict.

#17 05-04-2011 
Yeah, the actual problem here is: these resources don't have their own groups; they're all in group #FFFFFFFF. Normally each object or function has their own group, and fixing a file of such a group is simple, as long as you leave its association with that group intact. Group ID #FFFFFFFF, however, is a so-called LOCAL/PRIVATE group. You can have multiple objects using this same group, as long as each of these objects is in their own package file. The system will not confuse the group #FFFFFFFF of object A with the group #FFFFFFFF of object B, and thus there are no conflicts, even though you might expect that there WOULD. In-game, this group is apparently linked to a dynamically assigned identifier that's bound to the FILENAME. And I suspect that THAT is what Groups.cache is for; To retain those links between sessions!

Look at all hacked objects: they may have different GUIDs, but usually, they don't have their own group ID, but usually all use Group #FFFFFFFF; the authors of those objects didn't know how to change that, or they didn't care. And in most cases there's no need for a new Group ID, either, because most resources for that object will be enclosed in the same package anyway.

And that, therefor, also explains why a hack like this only works if the correct filename is used; it needs to be associated with the correct groups.cache link for its own specific group #FFFFFFFF resource: the link to Live.package !!

#18 05-04-2011 
Ok, the mod's up on this thread Smile

#19 05-04-2011 
Thank you BO Smile

#20 06-04-2011 
Thank you so much! I tried it out and it works perfectly. I kinda have a bit of OCD so I keep my mods seperated by folders already so if this is the only way to get it working for now that is not a problem in my books. I somehow thought that my first request was gonna be a bit simpler than it turned out to be, oh well you did good!

Big Grin

Picture!
[Image: 5598365870_cb91f796d1_z_d.jpg]
[Image: sig55.jpg]

Sorry, that is a members only option