De-Blinging Postbits
#1 31-05-2011 
Yes, I think I am getting obsessive. I was looking at the postbits and decided that they were looking really untidy, both on styling and information overload. The information in the postbit is interesting, but a lot of it is double info - a lot of the information is already on the profile pages, but not everybody goes to look at the profile pages, but I don't want the postbit looking so cluttered. So, I made some small changes, as listed below:

Online/offline
I swapped out the online/offline images and will go looking for a nicer image that is suitable for dark backgrounds.

Username colours
Red = admin, Orange/Pink = mod/senior member, green = tea drinker, other= fish that pass in the night.

Smaller, neater, less OMG huge.

User Details
Now there is a show/hide details link under the avatar - click to see more detail about that user.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#2 01-06-2011 
Awesome nothing like customizing a site to make you appreciate the little things lol. Big Grin
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#3 01-06-2011 
Excellent, excellent! You have my whole-hearted (spelling?) approval, I like what you have done.Heart

#4 01-06-2011 
Thanks Nonni - I don't really have a bee in my bonnet about spelling, it's just that using a certain sort of sms/chatbox writing style in a forum post just really exasperates me. (Yes, we all know who I mean.)

My own spelling is quite bad, and I am often grammatically confused, but I TRY to write as neatly and clearly as I can.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#5 01-06-2011 
Quote:it's just that using a certain sort of sms/chatbox writing style in a forum post just really exasperates me. (Yes, we all know who I mean.)
Rofl

Who in the world could you possibly be thinking of?!?
Not our resident confuzzled SA?

#6 01-06-2011 
I think the changes are great Lee, it looks so neat now.
Quote:I don't really have a bee in my bonnet about spelling
I do, well not so much spelling, I hate chat/sms speak (although I do use BTW, ETA, OMG and LOL at times) also hate i and ... drives me crazy.

Also have to say I hate being a tea drinker (can't stand the stuff)
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#7 01-06-2011 
Personally, I don't mind the occasional functional ... here or there, as long as it isn't used excessively to replace the full stop, the comma, the exclamation mark AND the lol in every sentence... But I *do* hate (with a passion, I might add) failure to use proper capitalization. The 'First Person' should be referred to as 'I', not 'i'; Proper names and the first word of each sentence should be capitalized, other words preferrably not. That kind of thing. Yeah, I admit, I'm horribly square and old-fashioned here, but as a non-native user of the English language, it makes it much easier for me to read and understand if the classic rules are followed as much as possible, although I don't mind the occasional slip-up...

I have nothing against tea, though! Coffee, on the other hand, is most offensive Wink

#8 01-06-2011 
Quote:Gin Guzzler

Oh Lee I love it, laughed so hard I cried, my stomach and chest hurts and I need my asthma puffer.
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#9 01-06-2011 
Very nice, sleek changes, Lee! (I must admit I thought I was nuts there for a while, though. Wink "I'm green! Why am I green? I didn't use to be green!")

Re grammar and spelling... oh my, this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! To make what would otherwise be a page-long story short, my position is that not everybody can speak or write perfect English - but everybody can make an effort.

Not using proper capitalisation or punctuation (and don't even get me started on using r and u instead of are and you!) doesn't just look sloppy, it's disrespectful and downright rude to the people who have to read it. The reader shouldn't have to sound out your post in order to understand what you've written!

I'd better stop there, lest I will go into full haranguing mode and you will never be able to get me to shut up. Tongue
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

Sorry, that is a members only option