My secret for recolouring in 4 steps.
#1 11-06-2011 
Quote:I am curious to know how you DO it though - I never could make a decent recolour to save my life.

For those who are curious this is how I basically recolour in 4 steps.

1. make an overlay
2. make a template
3. flood fill template
4. copy and paste overlay

There is always a fair amount of tweaking and improving, before the overlay and template are ready, once it is done the rest is easy.

I have included the full size overlay and template, try it and let me know how you go.
BTW: White is Vertical, Blue is Horizontal.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#2 11-06-2011 
I have a dumb question, although I did research and goodled it, evidently I did not go into my search deeply enough.
What is an overlay? I found a tutorial on using posebox overlays which was helpful but not applicable in this case.
Would the overlay be the in the 1st pic? The template be the 2nd pic and the 3rd be the flood fill template?
Please don't make fun, I just tend to lose track on terminology. Hugs!

#3 11-06-2011 
Spot on Nonni,

(pic 1) is all the little bits on a transparent background. I usually do an overlay of shadows and highlights as well.
(pic 2) is the extracted template coloured in to make it easier to work with, especially if I am recolouring more than 1 of the same object.
(pic 3) has been recoloured, I actually have most of my colours saved in GIMP, both horizontally and Vertically, that way I can cheat with a
lot of stuff and just flood fill. Bad me!
(pic 4) is the final template to replace the original with in simPE.

It can actually take hours, sometime days doing the overlay and template but once they are done, I can recolour something half a dozen times in a matter of minutes. Until recently as soon as I had finished recolouring something I threw the overlays and templates out, silly me, now I have started keeping them. Please note not everything can be recoloured like this. Also admitting that I flood fill will probably get me kicked out of the Sims community. Rolleyes
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#4 11-06-2011 
Quote:I threw the overlays and templates out, silly me,

Oh, NOOooooo!

#5 11-06-2011 
Michelle;5484 Wrote:Also admitting that I flood fill will probably get me kicked out of the Sims community. Rolleyes

Hmm, but you don't really floodfill. Flood fill is when you just go WHAP and chuck a pattern right over everything. That is not what you are doing.

Also (if you like, I know its your work) - you could maybe share some of the templates over in resources? That way are always safe.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

Sorry, that is a members only option