Clone or Recolour?
#1 11-06-2011 
Solved Clone or Recolour?
Hi I'm trying my hand at trying to make recolours for Sims 2 objects and I have a couple of questions.

1) I am using the latest version of SimPE and Wizards of SimPE doesn't always work so I'm using the Object Workshop and I don't know if I should pick "Clone or Recolour?" Recolour always creates an empty file where as Clone creates a full package.

2) If it's an object that isn't available for purchase what would be the best way to go about it? (IE: Baby Bottle?)

Once I've gotten past that part I should be ok cause I figure I'll just recolour the object's texture(s) and hopefully it'll just be a replacement and not an stand-alone object. Any advice would be most welcome, thank you. Smile

#2 11-06-2011 
"Clone" produces a *complete* copy of the object... that is to say: with all the shapes, meshes, textures, tables, BHAVs, string lists, audio files and whatever-have-you included! That's way too much if you only require the TXTR/TXMT/MATT part of it.

"Clone" may be ok for wall- and floor coverings, but that's mainly because they *are* mostly texture, with not much else. So I'd say you should go for "Recolour".

But I *do* have to volunteer that I know very little of the creative side of SimPE use. I don't remesh and recolour, I mod! Smile So I could be mistaken in this instance.

Michelle would know, I suppose, but she's not on the roll of Helpers, so I couldn't assign her this thread... Let's hope she sees it anyway and volunteers Wink

#3 11-06-2011 
Well at least I now have some more info to go on and at least with "Clone" I can choose not to include things like animations etc, but you are probably right. Oh Michelle, where are you? Smile
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#4 11-06-2011 
Xander, first of all, are you trying to recolour a custom object, or a Maxis one? And if it's the latter, do you have the latest CEP installed? You need the CEP to be able to recolour Maxis objects.

Second, like BO said, you should go for recolour, not clone. If you clone, you won't just have a complete copy of the object (that takes up more space and resources than any recol), but unless you assign your clone a new GUID, it will overwrite the object you cloned it from. You don't want that. Smile

Non-buyable items, like baby bottles or books, are found in the first step of Object Workshop just as other in-game objects - but they're hiding in the "Unknown" category. I'm no expert on how recolouring works for objects like that, though, so I'll leave that part to people who know.
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#5 11-06-2011 
Also, adding Shell to the helper victims volunteers
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#6 11-06-2011 
NixNivis;5520 Wrote:If you clone, you won't just have a complete copy of the object (that takes up more space and resources than any recol), but unless you assign your clone a new GUID, it will overwrite the object you cloned it from. You don't want that. Smile

See? I totally overlooked that part... as I said (or implied): I'm a modder, not an artist. Blush

#7 11-06-2011 
Ok update time: I have CEP 9.2, I'm using SimPE 0.73 and I'm trying to use the object workshop to make a recolor (hopefully a default) for the Base Game baby bottle. Seeing how you can't buy the bottle it will have to be a global replacement right?

If I try to make a recolour package it goes through the process of creating it and it opens it in SimPE but I don't have any textures or resources to click on all I see is. AllRes (0).

#8 11-06-2011 
Do you always get a blank package, even when you try to recolour something "normal", like a chair or a painting or something? Or is it just when you try to recolour the baby bottle that you get an empty package? If it's only with the bottle, but everything else works fine, then most likely the bottle just isn't recolourable.

Also, default replacements are not made the same way as regular object recols. You can find a tutorial on how to do it here.

#9 11-06-2011 
NixNivis;5535 Wrote:Do you always get a blank package, even when you try to recolour something "normal", like a chair or a painting or something? Or is it just when you try to recolour the baby bottle that you get an empty package? If it's only with the bottle, but everything else works fine, then most the bottle just isn't recolourable.

Also, default replacements are not made the same way as regular object recols. You can find a tutorial on how to do it here.

Ah ok well I tried the painting and it came out as a useable package so yay! I guess the baby bottle isn't recolourable (yet) but I will definitely take a look at that tutorial you linked to, seems like it could prove useful.

Thank you! Big Grin

#10 11-06-2011 
You're very welcome. Smile Yay, I solved the thread! Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option