What editors do you use?
For image editing - textures as well as screenshots - I use Photoshop 7. I've been using Photoshop in its various incarnations for years, but 7 is my favourite, so I've stuck with that even though there are newer versions.
For body meshing, I use Milkshape, for the same reason as Lee: When I started modding, it was pretty much Milkshape or nothing tutorial-wise, especially for body meshing.
For object meshing, it's Blender nowadays - mostly, anyway. I found Milkshape to be a bit clunky when it came to making objects, I think Blender is much smoother. But I'm still much better at Milkshape than I am at Blender, so I often end up switching back and forth between the two to tweak details.
My modding framework is, of course, SimPE. I love SimPE and want to have its children.
Oh! I also use UV Mapper Pro for UV mapping objects. How could I ever forget that program? It's great! * Nix gets no cookie
Meshing: Mikshape, on rare occasions Wings3D. Milkshape because it's what I learned to mesh in, Wings because there are a few things I can't seem to figure out how to do in Milkshape, like inset.
And SimPE for all Sims 2 related things.
Besides that, I dabble a bit in Photoshop CS (the oldest CS version one can imagine), which I merely use for such mundane tasks as cropping & resizing screen shots when needed, and for the 'creation' of the thumbnails for my uploads.
Sometimes I use the Compressorizer to shrink my mods, but I wouldn't call that an editor. Besides, SimPE can compress most resources as well, so most of the time I use that one in stead.
So that's BO's secret: the bare minimum number of tools required.
Milkshape:Used only for lessons with Levini or Jon in meshing or resizing. I still need so much more practice and many more tutorials.
Gimp:I was very resistant to using it until Shell took me through recoloring clothes and objects, now it is beginning to fascinate me. I used to use only Windows Paint.
BodyShop: Originally used to package sims I had created but now with the help of Shell, I am beginning to learn the basics of recoloring.
1. Milkshape for meshing,
2. Blender for baking,
3. TSRW and S3PE as my package editors, depending on what I'm making,
4. Photoshop C3 and paint.NET for images,
5. and then UVmapper and Lithunwrap for mapping.
I totally forgot the "why"-part
1. Cause it's easy to use, and does what I want it to do.
2. I dislike Blender cause it's way too complicated for my brain, but the baking function is awesome!
3. TSRW cause of the user friendly interface, S3PE cause TSRW simply can't do some stuff.
4. Are awesome programs, I'm really a noob with the photoshop, but it has a lot of features I like. Paint.NET=<3
5. I use UVmapper to scale the map, and then Lithunwrap to resize and move the pieces. Then I usually do final adjustments on Milkshape.
Anyhow I use:
SimPE for sim extraction , cloning objects , and recolors
Wings3D because It's newbie friendly (I would love to learn blender or milkshake .. I want badly to animate stuff)
GIMP for almost everything . I never liked photoshop it was cinfusing for me to wrap my mind around