Multi-tile lamp thinks it's non-3D and can't change material
#1 23-06-2011 
So, made a wall lamp, and I wanted it to both have a three-tile footprint and to be base game compatible - which means I've had to clone a one-tile base game lamp and then fix the footprint manually, since multi-tile wall lamps didn't come around until Nightlife.

Everything seems fine until I actually try to turn the lamp on: then I get a "trying to change a light on a non 3d Object" or "trying to change material on a non 3d Object" error. It seems that, no matter how three-dimensional the mesh actually is, the game thinks that the tiles I've added manually aren't 3D - and I have no idea how to convince it otherwise. Sad Through the MMATs? The BHAVs? Divine intervention? Halp!

The lamp in question, with error log, can be found here, if somebody wants to have a look (just as long as you consider the normals a work-in-progress. Tongue Also, I've tried it with other meshes as well, but with the same result).

#2 23-06-2011 
I have absolutely no clue about such things, but I'll take a look anyway. After all, one never knows... Smile

#3 23-06-2011 
ok, I have grabbed the file and will take a look - gotta eat first Smile
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#4 23-06-2011 
@BO, who knows, maybe it's a BHAV problem that you'll spot as soon as you open the file. Smile

@Lee, yay! Even if it would be bad for my modding self-esteem, I hope the solution is something ridiculously simple that I've just overlooked - like, say, forgetting to update the MMATs. Wink (Oh, and thanks for giving this a category, I was at a complete loss as to whether I should file it under Cloning, SimPE or HALP!) Enjoy your meal!
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#5 24-06-2011 
Hmmm, I have had a look in SIMPE - I did a comparison between your lamp and the NL light I think you based it off and the first thing I see is there is a reference to the interaction Group in two tiles. This is not in in your object.

Have you tried the cheater solution of cloning the NL light, swapping in the mesh and then changing the EP/game flags in all OBJD's?

#6 24-06-2011 
Edit to add - there is also an extra BHAV in the NL light called STUB. its an 0x8009 format but you could try CHANGING that to 0x8007.

WARNING: Game asplosions at own risk Tongue

#7 24-06-2011 
Lee, I didn't base it on a Nightlife lamp, but on a base game one - the "Prisoner of Azkalamp" or whatever it's called, one of the cheapest ones. The problem is that I want my lamp to be multi-tile and base-game compatible, or I would happily have cloned an NL lamp. Smile

I haven't tried the cheater variant, though - I'll definitely give that a try! (And hope that multi-tile lamps isn't like multi-level submenus and something that the base game simply doesn't understand...) And I'll look at that interaction Group, too. Thanks for the help! I'll get back to you and let you know how things turn out. Smile

* Nix dons protective gear in anticipation of games going boom

#8 24-06-2011 
Yea, I realised that you had cloned a base lamp - by "basing it on" I kind of thought you had snuffled in the NL lamp and then edited a base lamp to match. I am NOT sure on that BHAV Stub thing or what it does. BO might know.

Course, my policy is always to be as lazy as possible...so cheater way would be my first port of call. It could be that that stub thing won't work in a base lamp - but I think it will. If that does not work then try making it a private BHAV thing - if that fails then we need Echo or Mog and MTS is down...OMG.

#9 24-06-2011 
Well isnt there a 3 Tile Lamp In NL .. Would it be possible to clone it .. change it to be base compatible and use that ??

#10 24-06-2011 
Ahh, I see. You think I have a far more advanced mind than I actually do. Wink

If this turns out to be too much for the base-game to handle, I'll settle for having my lamp require an EP (but hopefully it would be happy with ANY EP, and not require a specific one) - my world won't end or anything. But first I'm going to cheat and see if I get away with it. Wink

Sorry, that is a members only option