The BMW MINI Cooper S - with 3 recolourable channels. Neglect a sim today - spend hours pimping your car ... Well, I made the Mini Cooper S and it is up on MTS in .packageformat. For those of you who want the sims3pack I have decided to make it available here on Leefish.
For those who want the .package version, please go to ModtheSims HERE
When you buy a Mini Cooper in RL you can customise the bodywork quite a bit - different coloured roof, wing mirror and bodywork. You can also add stripes to the bonnet (hood for you Americans out there).
I worked hard on optimising its create a styleness - so I have made 6 presets using the masks and the stencils.
All car presets have the three basic recolourable channels - ROOF, WINGMIRROR, BODYWORK.
- Preset 1 = the stripes on the bonnet are the same channel as the wingmirrors - so you can have stripes to match the wing mirrors.
- Preset 2 = the white stripes on the bonnet are hardcoded - you can't change the colour of the stripes - see presets 5 and 1 for other colour options for the stripes
- Preset 3 = no stripes, minimal chrome on the front grille
- Preset 4 = for all you Anglophiles - the colour paint job that I always wanted but never dared to get - the Union Jack Roof and white stripes on the bonnet . NOTE: You can change the colour of the roof but there is no point as the Flag covers it. The white stripes are no longer hard coded - they are based on the roof colour set - see change log for detail.
- Preset 5 = the black stripes on the bonnet are hardcoded - you can't change the colour of the stripes - see presets 1 and 2 for other colour options for the stripes
- Preset 6 = lots of chrome, no stripes.
The easy way to remember which is which is that all the presets with stripes are with a fancy roof, the non striped have a plain roof.
Its my first car and the most complicated object for TS3 that I have made so far, and so, its not perfect......
- The body was very well mapped by the original creator, and I did not mess with that. It looks good patterned, but the patterns do not line up EXACTLY. You can see the join between the wing and the sidepanels, but I think its ok - damned close.
- The door is not animated
- The mini is cloned from the sportscar (so that the wheels would match up) and as a result the sim sits too low in the car and the driving anims are off. You can see it in the night time shot.
- The wheels do not turn - I asked around the modders community and this is a known issue with custom cars
- Sometimes, when turning a corner, the lights sort of disengage from the body - and then catch up again. I do not know why this is so, again, its part of finding out how objects work.
Prices and Catalogue Location
In the vehicles category at a very reasonable 35000 simoleons.
I had this tested in WA and HELS - it worked fine in both and in my base game.
A rather staggering 10870 polys. This is the same for ALL LODs. I have a rubbish PC and its fine in game.
I did not make or texture this mesh myself - all credit for that is due to the original makers, my thanks to Jonathan for permission to use this mesh.
Jonathan Mace (email@example.com) and Stecki (firstname.lastname@example.org), purchased from http://www.turbosquid.com (by jonathan). Thanks for the permission to use this mesh AT NO CHARGE to me...and by default all the simmers who download it.
Yet More Credits
TSR workshop - presets are fun to do!
FreshPrince for being supportive and helping me along
My testers, Davey and Dal.