GameSection show random games from each category at portal?
#1 29-07-2011 
Is it possible to show random games from each category at the portal?

#2 29-07-2011 
hi Play - it probably is, but a query with a random sort to your games table would be a bit heavy on your front page. Really it should be cached. In addition, I have not yet installed 1.6.4 either here or on test so I won't be making a plugin until I do.

I am waiting to see what bugs there are in 1.6.4 and what effect there may be on my modifications before I install.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#3 31-07-2011 
Sure. Then please let me know when you could do it Big Grin
It would be nice Big Grin

#4 01-08-2011 
Ok, I have been doing some research on this - so I am gonna stash this code sample here. This will be how we do the query:

Ok, I tried this but I keep getting an error - it seems to hate the select join. Its also a performance killer - leefish is running on a very high-powered VPS and it slowed to a crawl - nested select, group by, order by RAND...urk.

What it probably needs is an index creating on the games section tables for CATEGORY and GAME (cid and gid).

#5 18-08-2011 
leefish;7818 Wrote:Ok, I have been doing some research on this - so I am gonna stash this code sample here. This will be how we do the query:

Ok, I tried this but I keep getting an error - it seems to hate the select join. Its also a performance killer - leefish is running on a very high-powered VPS and it slowed to a crawl - nested select, group by, order by RAND...urk.

What it probably needs is an index creating on the games section tables for CATEGORY and GAME (cid and gid).

Okay. It sounds understandable. Would you be able to do it?
HeartHeart

#6 18-08-2011 
Well, I am busy with a couple of other things at the moment - sims related - sims is what I do as well as php.

I haven't forgotten the request though.

#7 22-08-2011 
That is cool. Take the time you need Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option