Contest/Challenge Thing
#11 03-08-2011 
Michelle;7891 Wrote:What can I say BO, I go for quality not quantity. Wink

What *you* can say? Nothing!

What *I* can say is: it's only a starter home! The budget is only around §6,500 and they need plumbing and kitchen appliances, some place to crash, and some skilling options. So clearly you can't afford to waste §8,000 on luxury goods! Not yet, anyway Wink

#12 03-08-2011 
maybe 6500 is too little? I am open to suggestion for a bigger budget - we want it to look pretty I think.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#13 03-08-2011 
The value is open to discussion, but if one makes it more, then it's clearly no longer a starter home.

If there's only room for ONE person to sleep, the limit is S20k, with beds for TWO the limit is §25k (including the building itself). Because those are the values a newly created CAS single/couple starts with.

That's why I'd say that classifying this particular building as a starter home IS somewhat risky. A STARTER home offers all the required minimal activities/options as I mentioned earlier WITHOUT exceeding the budget of a STARTING family.

That's what I immediately thought when I saw the upload, but I didn't want to criticise it right then and there, so I kept my mouth shut Wink

#14 03-08-2011 
Well, I am gonna have a look at this in game. I have made fully furnished houses for two sims under 20k - course, the furniture was not exactly top notch. So the way I see it it can be done. I think.

#15 03-08-2011 
Sure, it CAN be done, but not with high quality luxury gear... You can make it look nice, but not classy. And since the house itself is already over §18k, a single obviously can not afford it. Clearly, the minimum is a couple!

And I believe each toddler/child created in CAS adds no more than §2,500 to the starting capital, but I'm not entirely certain. However, with three or more sims, this building may be a bit cramped.

#16 03-08-2011 
So, there is definitely some none base stuff in there - not sure what - I appear to have no exterior paint and no front path. So I repainted and used terrain paint for the path (saving: 8*6=48) - I am using AL, OFB , NL and base to do this. And some cc of course.

#17 03-08-2011 
Lee, I don't have a front path, either. I just installed mine in an AnyGame with all EPs and all SPs except Family Fun, Glamour Life and Celebration. I do have exterior paint, though.

I installed the house with the Clean Installer, and it didn't look like there was any CC included - all I could see was the actual lot file. Strangeness...

Anyway, I might use brick for $72. I like brick. Smile

Edit: Two questions. Are we allowed to repaint and/or change the floors? Them rules don't say anything about that... Tongue
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#18 03-08-2011 
Hell yes on the paint and floors Smile

Carpet: 2 simoleons
Wood: 5 simoleons.....

Yea, I like brick too, but I went for a yellow stucco.

I was wondering if we are allowed to change the STYLE of doors/arches and stairs? Like - um - justadoors upstairs - walnuts downstairs. Not placement - just style.

And OMG at the cost of lights. The cheapest ceiling light I have is 65 simoleons. I cannot give the poor sims the naked wall bulb. It is just too awful.

Current status: three beds, two awful armchairs, three very cheap coffee tables, kitchen with cooker/sink/fridge/counters, carpet everywhere, 2 equipped bathrooms, no dining table or sofa or skill objects with 2000 simoleons to go.

* leefish ponders selling the plants in the front garden.

#19 03-08-2011 
I may have been a little hasty in calling this a starter home but in my crazy mixed up mind anything below the $20k -$25k seemed like a starter budget to me and I always make sacrifices. I only furnish the rooms I need so really the kitchen and bathroom and a bedroom. The rest will come when the money starts rolling in.

Maybe the challenge should be furnish one room lol.

As for the bathroom arch downstairs I learned a long time ago that the arch acts as a door so I could actually have two Sims use the bathroom at the same time as long as the toilet was in use first lol. Just my idea, not everyone likes it I see lol.

I have a feeling that some of the build mode items such as wallcolours and flooring may not have all been Base Game items because there was no way to know what came with what. Can I enter the contest as well?
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#20 03-08-2011 
Sure you can Xander - we can maybe do it so that you have version 1 - 25k house and version 2 - cost no object.

An idea maybe?

I have added a couple of lines to the first post - marked in red.

We should do this kind of thing more often Smile

Sorry, that is a members only option