How do you quit smoking cigarettes?
#1 14-03-2012 
I've been smoking since I was 17 (am 30 now) and it's such a struggle, every time I try to quit I just can't or maybe it's won't. Either way it's something stuck in my head that tells me I need this, since it's been this way for so long. I did quit for about 2 weeks but I had to then because I was in the hospital (not from smoking, had appendicitis). Are there any former smokers out there who can offer me some advice on quitting for good? I like to hear how others successfully quit, it gives me hopes that I may someday be able to quit too. I have heard that nicotine/tobacco is the hardest drug to kick the habit of. I wouldn't know I never tried any other drugs, but I certainly believe them.

#2 14-03-2012 
I started smoking when I was 15, I'm almost 53 now, and still doing it.

But I *did* manage to break the habit for 9 months once... I just refused to buy any. And when you don't *have* any, you can't *smoke* any, can you? But obviously, that wasn't a permanent solution, because after nine months, when a very stressful situation hit me, I just bought a pack and started smoking again. Since then, I've never felt like I wanted to quit again.

Whatever might be your solution, I wish you the best with it, Jon. Because I'm afraid it's never going to be easy.

#3 15-03-2012 
Like Bo baby I starting smoking when I was 15, however unlike BO I gave it up back in the late 80's.

This is how I did it:
Lit up a cigarette after breakfast on Thursday morning, took 1 puff and put it out, lit up the same cigarette after lunch that day, took 1 puff and put it out, lit up the same cigarette after dinner that night, took 1 puff and put it out. The next day, Friday, after lunch I lit up the same cigarette, took 1 puff and put it out. I can honestly say, I've never even been tempted to light up a cigarette since that day, and it has never bothered me if others smoke around me...unless I'm eating.

And before anyone asks, no, I didn't smoke low tar and nicotine cigarettes, I smoked Marlboro, Sobranie Classic and Black Russians.
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#4 15-03-2012 
It is indeed really all in your head Jon. Having said that, there does appear to be a genetic likelihood that people find it harder or easier to kick an addiction. Some stuff about addiction

However, nicotine is flushed from the body after 48 hours - and after that - it is all in your head. You will find that it is the habit that is addictive rather than the nicotine.

A very good friend of mine used a combination of nicotine patches and a herb called coltsfoot. What was the herb for? He rolled it into homemade cigarettes and smoked it when ever he felt like a cigarette. After one week he stopped using the patch and only smoked the herbs. After 2 weeks - he had stopped.

BUT - even after 20 years - he sometimes still feels like smoking a cigarette....
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#5 15-03-2012 
I agree: it's mostly the habit! I still smoke as little - or as much - as I did 38 years ago, which to me proves, that it isn't about the physical addiction for me, it's purely about the habit: the need to have something to do for my hands and mouth.

Those nine months I didn't smoke? I started snacking, to keep my hands and mouth busy, and gained about 75 pounds, going from 150 to 225. Now I'm smoking again, I don't snack, and I don't gain weight. But I don't lose any either... Sad

#6 20-03-2012 
Haven't smoked in 2 days because I'm out of cash and out of cigarettes, I'm living but sometimes I just feel so tense. I get paid in 10 days though, don't know what I'll be doing then if I'm still going to hold out and quit for good, or break down and buy some. I'd like to be 100% free from this addiction, would be so nice. And when I see my neighbors smoke it just drives me up the walls that I can't smoke, could bum from them I guess but eh don't really want to.

#7 20-03-2012 
I heard it helps to have a buddy that doesn't smoke, for support to help you quit. Or also someone else who smokes, but is also trying to quit. You would be able to encourage each other.

I have never smoked, so I don't really know what it's like. It's just what I've heard.

But good luck on your journey to being smoke free and congrats on the 2 days! Big Grin
Yin, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Mar 2012.
And proud to be the owner of Atlas Productions - Cavern Of Creativity!

#8 22-03-2012 
I'm another non-smoker, so I'm probably not helpful. But why not take a jar or something and put the money that you would spend on cigarettes into it. The rule is that once it's in the jar it can't be spent on cigarettes, but it has to be spent on something fun. The more you spend on cigarettes the less you have in the jar for when you want a night at the movies. (Or even a new computer... I've seen how much cigarettes cost. It shouldn't take more than 6 months of two packs a day to get something fairly nice.)
Ghost, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Mar 2012.

#9 23-03-2012 
Quitting 2 packs a day? That's gotta be tough as nails! I've never managed to burn off even 1 pack a day, and I've been smoking for 38 years.

#10 27-03-2012 
  • Registered
I smoked 30 cigarettes a day and more on weekends for more years than I care to remember and after failing to get rid of a niggling cough I decided to give quitting a real go. That I think is the key, wanting to stop. I visited a stop smoking advice centre at my local healthcentre and had a chat. I decided to use patches, a gum addition was also included at first as a boost, over a period of 12 weeks the dosage was reduced until I was clear. Patches worked for me but there are lots of other aids. I have broken the habit but once in a while I catch the whiff of smoke in the air and for an instant I could quite easily light up again. Do yourself a favour and give it a try.

Sorry, that is a members only option