How Large Is Your: Music Folder?
#1 06-04-2012 
I discovered a long time ago that I couldn't really play the Sims 2 unless I was also listening to my own music and with each new song that came out or a new album, that number of files has slowly grown over the years. It grew even more once I figured out that .mp3's don't work in the game unless they are at a bitrate of 128. So to get a discussion going and to determine just how crazy I am what is your number at?

Mine is: (as of April 6th 2012) 3.47 GB - 1,099 Files Tongue

They are all in the "collegerock" folder as I generally only listen to one radio station in the game. Unless my Sims are out shopping then it is Simlish music all the way lol.

#2 06-04-2012 
I'm not adding any of my own music to the sims folders, because those folders are bloated enough as it is. And I do *NOT* need multiple copies of all my favorite music: once in "My Music" and once for every game I wish to play them in; that's just STUPID! Some games simply have a special link to the "My Music" folder, though, and there I *do* make use of the option to listen to my own stuff. If only Maxis had also included that option...

#3 06-04-2012 
If I am not mistaken, I swear TS1 had that feature. I have a huge hard drive so it doesn't bug me all that much...much. Damn you EA! *shakes fist*
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#4 06-04-2012 
Yeah, I have a huge HDD as well. I'm currently using only 3% of my 2 TB drive. But my sims 2 data folders are on my 60 GB SSD drive, and that drive only holds so much. But having all my music copied in multiple places isn't practical anyway... any time I'd add something new, I'd have to add it multiple times, and I'm just not going there.

If I *did*, though, I'd have about 1700 music files in there, the same amount that's available on my iPod and iPads.

#5 06-04-2012 
I find it funny that older games could use this feature but TS2 and other current games don't. I wonder if it could be tricked somehow, that would be awesome.

#6 06-04-2012 
I've tried tricks with some of these games... tricks like adding a shortcut to the "My Music" folder in the game's music folder. Some older games would accept THAT too, but modern games are way too picky... Or maybe it's that modern versions of Windows don't allow that anymore.

I'm thinking of examining the Sims 2 entries in the Windows registry... see if there's an entry there that links to the game's music folders... If it exists, then maybe editing that entry might fool the game into looking elsewhere! Smile

#7 06-04-2012 
Nice idea, I wish you luck and by all means share your findings. I find modding fascinating even if it goes over my head sometimes.

#8 06-04-2012 
I don't add any of my own music either. In fact, I usually don't even turn my speakers on when playing.

#9 06-04-2012 
I am very strict about keeping my game Simlish. I never add any custom content or music containing English or any other real language. Most of the music I added is from The Sims 1, Sims Stories Series, Simcity 4 (which I only really got in order to make neigborhood files for TS2 and never held my interest on it's own) and a few from earlier Simcity games. Occasionally, I will add something instrumental from non-EA/Maxis games, or some of the better fan-created music. I use the songs from other localizations of the game too, but often in different stations then they were originally designated for. I make heavy use of the custom stations feature as well. My witches all groove to the sounds of the Makin' Magic soundtrack and long to stomp elderberries and visit carnivals.
976 MB

#10 06-04-2012 
Nice it is good to know that people all play the game their own ways. I personally couldn't imagine playing the game in silence but I do appreciate keeping it all Simlish.

Sorry, that is a members only option