How Large Is Your: Downloads Folder
#11 07-04-2012 
I'll admit the CAST system was awesome, but I honestly couldn't stand the gameplay or the way the Sims looked so no amount of CC (and believe you me I tried) could fix it for me. I may end up in Sunset Valley again one day, but that day is far far off.
[Image: sig55.jpg]

#12 07-04-2012 
Yeah, same here. CAST was awesome but didn't make up for everything else. So I am exclusively a Sims 2 player.

Downloads folder: 1.72 GB in 8,461 files, 403 folders.

SavedSims folder where incomplete projects live: 73.7 MB in 240 files.

#13 09-04-2012 
XanderGC;11154 Wrote:@rawmilk905: Did you ever hear of this mod? If basically replaces the CC star with nothing, which maybe is my imagination something that also speeds up thumbnail loading. Maybe, not too sure on the increased speed being a fact. I like having all my content appearing as if it was there all along and not added in and I never, EVER, delete anything in game.
Same here, Xander. But I like knowing my objects are in the bins folder and not in downloads. Usually, objects I use on a temporary basis, ones I'm not sure if I want and cheat objects for testing and for making over townies and such, I do keep in downloads, so having the cc star functional does help me distinguish those from the ones I keep on a more permanent basis.

#14 09-04-2012 
BoilingOil;11143 Wrote:Most of the CC in my game has been compressorized, though. That might also make a big difference.

My suspicion would be that compression saves you hard drive space, but the game has to uncompress them into RAM to use them.

#15 09-04-2012 
rawmilk905;11238 Wrote:My suspicion would be that compression saves you hard drive space, but the game has to uncompress them into RAM to use them.

Its a good point - I rarely compress my files, but then I mainly use repo objects with no textures in them.

I suppose it is all where do you want to maximise? If you don't have a lot of RAM but DO have a lot of HD space then don't compress - is that the idea?
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#16 09-04-2012 
rawmilk905;11238 Wrote:My suspicion would be that compression saves you hard drive space, but the game has to uncompress them into RAM to use them.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that compression DOES affect the amount of hard-drive space these files take. And hard-drive space is what we were talking about here.

leefish;11242 Wrote:I suppose it is all where do you want to maximise? If you don't have a lot of RAM but DO have a lot of HD space then don't compress - is that the idea?

No, not necessarily. Whether the stuff is compressed on the hard-drive or not, in memory it will take the same amount of space: the size of the uncompressed file! It just takes a little time to uncompress it, but if it wasn't compressed, it would take longer to read the file from disk... apples and oranges.

#17 09-04-2012 
True, but it also raises the point on what makes a downloads folder big. Is it because it is full of uncompressed clothes and big texture files - or is it just a large amount of compressed files? I never really thought about it before.

* leefish has a kick ass PC - not as good as BO's, but not bad.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#18 09-04-2012 
I think what's IN the files plays a big part. If one has a lot of hi-poly hairs and clothes, and lots of hi-def testures, then that's going to be some huge mofo of a Downloads folder, and be a real hog on processor time, but it will look HOT in-game. If one has only lo-poly files and lo-def textures, then the same amount and composition of files might take just a fraction of the drive space, load faster, and be processed easier. It will just look much less snazzy!

#19 09-04-2012 
Compressorizing is also more effective on certain types of content. I compress everything and have found that straight-up bodyshop recolour files are reduced the least when compressorizing, and any type of meshes are reduced the most. I believe this is because bodyshop already compresses the files. In fact, if you have a bodyshop recolour whose texture has been imported with SimPE instead of through bodyshop, then its filesize will be huge when uncompressed and reduced a lot when compressorized. So basically - anything that has been edited with SimPE (including game mods) can usually be reduced quite a lot by compressorizing. Bodyshop recolours that have not been altered in SimPE only get reduced a little.

As far as load times I have not noticed a difference since I started compressing everything. But have not exactly paid close attention either.

#20 09-04-2012 
TS3: Packages: 675 MB Sims3packs: 128MB

I don't remember how much CC I had for TS2, but it was an absurd amount and little to no bodyshop content.

Sorry, that is a members only option