Oh You Pretty Things..
#1 09-05-2012 
...gotta make way for the fishlike superior Big Grin

Ahem. I have been working on the site recently (PRESS F5) and I wanted to share the reasons behind all of this wide scale Site trashing with the leefishers.

I spent a lot of time on leefish making it function the way I wanted it to. To a certain extent, that is finished, so now I am working on how the board looks. At the moment I am focused on Bluefish2 with the changes, and I am open to suggestions for change in general.

The goal is to make the board look less cluttered (there is a lot of small text about) and a bit more welcoming for new members.

We do have to realise that there is only so much I can do and still keep the site interactive. A GREAT example of this is the Fresh Fish gallery. I want people to be able to upload a picture for their upload that THEY are happy with and then I will try and adjust the site to fit. This means that the gallery is not super pretty.... I do NOT want to make users upload a pic of this EXACT dimensions etc etc etc. It is already restrictive enough that there is a max file size and so on.

I have already changed the latest Threads box and the downloads views - I am currently working on index.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#2 09-05-2012 
I'd noticed, you've been playing ... I mean updating the site, all looks very pretty, PRESS F5!
Karen Lorraine, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2012.

#3 09-05-2012 
It should be the site motto Big Grin

* leefish adds PRESS F5 to the site header...

#4 09-05-2012 
You da Fish, Lee. Big Grin I have no suggestions, I think the changes look great.

As an uploader, it drives me ever so slightly nuts when you have to provide a thumbnail that has exactly thisandthat dimension, and not a pixel more or less. So I wholeheartedly approve of interactivity before super pretty. Smile

(BTW, I haven't forgotten the bbcode help thingie, but I'm not good at doing much left-handed typing right now - not much of left-handed anything, really. My body likes to be randomly uncooperative at unpredictable times. Faulty wiring. Undecided)

#5 09-05-2012 
Thanks Nix - yup, useability BEFORE pretty is what I am trying to keep in mind.

re the BB codes - it has taken me two years to even think about them, so I think you have a little leeway.

Re the hand/arm - I hope it gets better soon Heart

#6 09-05-2012 
Looks good to me Smile Form follows Function is a good guideline. I haven't tried uploading anything here yet, but I'm hoping that when settles by the end of the month, that I will have some time to burden you with many pics Big Grin

#7 09-05-2012 
@Lee, oh, it'll definitely be done within two years, I promise. Wink

And thank you. Heart It will, it goes up and down. Sometimes I swear it does it just to yank my chain. Rolleyes

#8 09-05-2012 
@Nix: I hope your hand/arm lets you off the hook sometime soon. Faulty hardware isn't funny on computers, but it ain't any better on the human body.

@Lee: I agree that function should control form, not the other way around. However, if at some point the accessibility requires that we adapt to a more limited function, then so be it. I think you're doing a hell of a job, and I don't regret having my upload home here.

#9 09-05-2012 
celebkiriedhel;12442 Wrote:I haven't tried uploading anything here yet, but I'm hoping that when settles by the end of the month, that I will have some time to burden you with many pics Big Grin

oooh Pics. Fish Pics is in fact my fave area of the site so I look forward to them Big Grin

#10 10-05-2012 
a quick test on the front page for the fresh fish gallery Big Grin

Yes lev, I do listen to you - I just add things to your suggestions.

See this as a proof of concept on the layout: I will change some things:

Subject length -- see Jon's upload for why I have to fix it....(there are others though)
Thumbnail scale --I can do nothing here really. I DO suggest in the upload tips (its those yadda yadda bits in the upload form) that a certain scale of thumbnail would look better. I don't enforce it though, so reading is ADVISED - not required.

Sorry, that is a members only option