SimPE clothing clone? Change default settings in DDS utility?
#21 11-05-2012 
Aha - I just thought you were shy Big Grin
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#22 11-05-2012 
Well, probably a bit of that too.

#23 11-05-2012 
@rawmilk, I was thinking of editing resources, not deleting them. Brain cramp, sorry! I shouldn't post right before going to bed. Confused
Quote:Bodyshop generates some kind of ID number to keep files from conflicting, no?

Yes, but as I said, they are not the same as an object's GUID. (For one thing, neither body meshes nor recols have a OBJD resource like objects do.) Changing the GUID of an object is a fairly quick and painless procedure; changing the ID of a BodyShop file... not sure I've heard of anybody doing that successfully. Which might just mean that I've been listening in the wrong places, of course. Smile

I'm a little confused as to what exactly it is you want to do. Are you looking to have the tees for children and teens texture reference the adult tees (i.e., get all their textures from there instead of having them in their own packages)? But you don't want to have to make a new teen/child recol and delete the textures for each one, but just clone and re-clone one where you've already deleted the textures? Or are you trying to do something else entirely?

What resources are you deleting, exactly?

@Lee, any way we can pull Fansee away from her vampires and have her drop by? Smile

I sort of have a vague suspicion that a BodyShop file's ID can be found in the sortindex (found in the BINX), but I'm not willing to take it to the bank yet. I'm going to have to do some experiments first...

#24 11-05-2012 
well, I have not seen Miss Lamb for a couple of days - either here or on MTS.

I think it must be a very sexy vampire indeed that is distracting her all this time Big Grin

Alternatively: She has seen my Tetris Hi-score and is in a colossal sulk Tongue

#25 11-05-2012 
NixNivis;12582 Wrote:But you don't want to have to make a new teen/child recol and delete the textures for each one, but just clone and re-clone one where you've already deleted the textures?

Yes, exactly.

NixNivis;12582 Wrote:What resources are you deleting, exactly?

I am deleting all normal maps except for one shared one and all textures in the child and teen files, as they share them with the adult mesh. So that's one diffuse (top) texture for every three files, plus just one normal map for all in the finished files (I suspect if I went digging, I could even route to a base game file for that normal map, as the layout is the same for the custom baggy tee separate and the baggy tee complete outfits in the base game,) wheras bodyshop is generating something like 2 identical diffuse textures and 3 identical normal maps in every file it churns out. It would be so much quicker if there were some kind of utility to change the ID number, whatever its proper name is, and just edit the references in a copy that has been cleaned out.

NixNivis;12582 Wrote:I sort of have a vague suspicion that a BodyShop file's ID can be found in the sortindex (found in the BINX), but I'm not willing to take it to the bank yet. I'm going to have to do some experiments first...

Thank you for your help, you've made it a bit clearer and I feel there is at least the potential for a speedier solution.

If some kind of utility just generated new numbers the way body shop does and I could plug them in myself I'd be overjoyed at the time and editing it would save, still keeping files small and tidy as I am commited to doing. Even if I had to clone files in bodyshop, just to snatch their numbers, it would probably be quicker than deleting all those resources over and over.

#26 12-05-2012 
Thanks for clarifying! I thought that would be what you were doing, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't misunderstood and my brain had gone off in the completely wrong direction. It does that sometimes when it sees something shiny. Wink

I'm glad I haven't just muddied the waters, but unfortunately none of my experiments have been a success. Sad I still think the key to the ID is in the BINX and/or the 3IDR (the 3IDR is sort of the spider in the web, that coordinates the mesh and the textures), possibly/probably in conjunction with the custom group numbers, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Giving up isn't in my nature, but I think I'm going to have to fall back and regroup to see if I can come up with something new to try.

rawmilk905 Wrote:If some kind of utility just generated new numbers the way body shop does and I could plug them in myself I'd be overjoyed at the time and editing it would save, still keeping files small and tidy as I am committed to doing.

I agree, that would be great, and it would make Bodyshopper's lives so much easier. That's how it works with objects: You just go to the OBJD resource, hit "get GUID" (provided that you've registered first) and bam! You have a shiny, new and unique GUID, all ready to use. (There's also a Hash Generator, under Object Tools, that can generate random strings for... um, different kinds of stuff - me, I've only used the GUID option there, for when I've cloned MMATs.) But with BodyShop things... yeah, if objects are from Mars, then BodyShop things are from Alpha Centauri or something. Undecided

Sorry I haven't been able to help more than this. Flower? Flower (I just had to use that smiley!)

#27 12-05-2012 
Well. Unfortunately I don't think there's a quick easy fix for you. I vaguely recall trying something similar once. I did "fix integrity" on a bodyshop file, thinking that might be akin to a GUID. But it broke the association with the mesh... or something. (My memory of this failed attempt is rather vague.) Bodyshop files are pretty complex. Messing around with them can break mesh associations, have the clothes go invisible, or have them not show up in bodyshop/cas at all. There might be a way to do what you want, but I don't know how. Bottom line - even if you've got like 20 recolours you want to edit, doing it the old fashioned tedious way will probably be quicker and less frustrating than battling SimPE... and losing.

I mean... would you rather spend an extra hour deleting and linking textures, knowing it will work.... or an extra 3 days scowling at SimPE, pulling your hair out, and then have to go do it the old fashioned way anyway.

* fanseelamb disappears into the abyss once again vamp

#28 12-05-2012 
Yeah, fixing integrity was one of the things I tried in my experiments. Did not work.

And I agree - at this point, the tedious way is probably both quicker and a lot less frustrating than trying to figure out a non-tedious way (that may or may not work).

* NixNivis feels like somewhat less of a failure when Fansee doesn't know how to fix this, either

#29 12-05-2012 
La lamb does not know????

Perhaps it is arcane knowledge not meant for us simmers to know

* leefish empties trashcan into handy abyss

#30 13-05-2012 
Well, thank you for looking into it anyway, Nix. I appreciate it. I will continue the slow way, but with an occasional experimentation. I may try to ask Moo or someone if there is any way to look into what exactly bodyshop is doing when it clones.

leefish;12697 Wrote:Perhaps it is arcane knowledge not meant for us simmers to know

Most all modding involves the use of "arcane knowledge not meant for us simmers to know," else they'd have left descriptions in and that sort of thing and SimPE would not even be necessary as there would be official tools for all it does. Tongue

Sorry, that is a members only option