Default Replacement Question...
#1 16-05-2012 
I'm using this tutorial to try and do the bedding replacements:

Default Replacements from scratch

The problem I'm having is that once I've done Step 6, I have multiple TXTR's from multiple SGFILE and none of them are the largest size, neither are the LIF0.

So for example - I've been trying to replace the Teen Style Stuff - Goth bedding.

When I do the search on "bedbeddingsp6-goth"

I get 3 files - Ikea, Kitchen and Bath, and teen - Carryforward.SGFILES.Package.

There are 3 TXTRs, and 6 LIF0's for each of them.

When I double-click one of the TXTR's - it brings up the bedding but at 128x256 instead of the largest one (512x1024). I can find the LIF0's near them that has the large size.

But at this point, it's we're veering away from the tutorial.

So. Can I use the LIF0 as the default? (I'm assuming that what's really important is the Group and the Instances), do I do the TXTR but as a 512x1024?

I'm at a bit of a loss as how to proceed. And it seems that all the replacement tutorials I've found so far all concentrate on bodyshop replacements.

#2 16-05-2012 
Hmm, I would have thought that if you were to clone the bed without renaming or anything and then extract JUST the txtr resources to a new package then change the TXTR it would default replace it.

MLC or Nix or Shell will probably know more than me.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#3 16-05-2012 
Much as I appreciate Lee's confidence in me, I've only made BodyShop default replacements. Sad BUT! I know there's a tutorial on how to do it for objects here. I haven't tried it myself, though, but I know that Xander has used it.

But yes, you're right, it's the group and instance number that are important. And yes, you should be able to use the LIFO instead. (Do you have the NVIDIA DDS Utilities installed, BTW? SimPE might not let you replace the texture image with one that's a different size otherwise, not to mention that the results might get horribly, horribly pixellated.)

And it sounds to me like Lee's method should work, too. I'm going to perform a little experiment and try it out. Smile (I'm digging around in SimPE at the moment anyway.)

#4 16-05-2012 
Yup - I have Nvidia DDS Utilities installed. Nix - I'll check the object tute.

Lee - I tried that, but apparently even though I renamed nothing, the instances were changed. I think it's because there are multiple textures on the bed.

OK - (Speed reader) - it looks like this is the same technique as Lee suggests, but the bit I missed was to Untick all the options. I'm going to try this now.

ETA: OK - I had to do something different to get the bedding pulled (i.e. select stand-alone), but the rest were unticked, and it pulled all the bedding with the correct groups and instances. (I checked the group and instances for default bedding that I already have, with the beddings in the package).

Thanks Nix!!! You're a hero! (heroine.... you know what I mean!)

ETA: I've just tested out the bedding replacements, and they work a treat. I did the build dxt, and it converts it to the correct sizes. It works Smile I've got some to redo, I used HP's and Ambulars, and I'm not sure which ones - but the Bon Voyage ones, and some of the base ones are not showing.

[Image: BeddingReplacements.jpg]

OK - Now they're all fixed. There are 43 Bedding Replacements. Smile

#5 22-05-2012 
So, replacements done - but can we download anywhere?

#6 30-05-2012 
Oh Lee! I didn't see this - you got it in my window of broken PC ness. Sure I can upload it here if you like?

#7 30-05-2012 
it would be awesome Big Grin

You can access the uploads forum via the sims creativity link in the dropdown menu

#8 30-05-2012 
leefish;13599 Wrote:You can access the uploads forum via the sims creativity link in the dropdown menu

Well I'll be! I never knew that. Blush I always go to the Members Area and click on the upload button.
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#9 30-05-2012 
Michelle;13612 Wrote:
leefish;13599 Wrote:You can access the uploads forum via the sims creativity link in the dropdown menu

Well I'll be! I never knew that. Blush I always go to the Members Area and click on the upload button.

Is new - I added it on Monday Big Grin

#10 31-05-2012 
Thanks I don't feel so stupid now. Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option