My proposed PC Specifications...
#21 31-05-2012 
Nonni - it won't be until Saturday that my friend brings around their disk - so not before then.

#22 31-05-2012 
celebkiriedhel;13630 Wrote:I have the applications set to compatibility XP SP2.

I did not make ANY special arrangements... I installed Sims 2 on W7 without setting any compatibility options whatsoever.

#23 31-05-2012 
I'm with BO here, I just installed it the same way I did with XP, didn't have any problems.

#24 01-06-2012 
I tried that first BO and Michelle. When that didn't work, I tried the compatibility. When that didn't work, I put it on my hard drive first. When that didn't work, I changed the compatibility on the hard drive version. A friend thought it might be a problem with the SSD, so I tried to a custom install to the data drive. That hasn't worked either.

It's a weird error though. And I know that it has installed for other people before on Windows 7, so I'm persevering. And I have an all-else-fails plan. Smile

#25 01-06-2012 
I'm not going to pretend that I have any idea here...as I'm computer illiterate. However, I have just visited several different site where people have asked for help, because of problems installing Sims 2 with Windows 7. After a couple of hundred pages, I can report that no one mentioned a problem like your problem Kiri. I did come across instructions on doing a manual installation, don't know if it will help any, I suggest someone with a bit of knowledge take a look at this before attempting it.

(Quote taken from my Sims 2 FAQ)
7. The installation freezes or you get an installation error.

First thing to try obviously is to check the CD/DVD for scratches or marks and clean.
Try renaming the InstallShield folder.

Double-click on the My Computer icon.
Double-Click on the C:
Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.
Right-Click on the InstallShield folder.
Select Rename.
Rename it to InstallShieldOld.
Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

If that doesn't work try a copying the files to your hard drive and installing from there.

FOR CD:

Go into My Computer.
Open drive C.
Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
Name the folder as Disk Images (it is important that the name has a space in it).
Open the disk images folder.
Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
Name this folder Disk1.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
Go into My Computer.
Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.
Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.
Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation is complete.

FOR DVD:

Insert the DVD into the DVD-rom drive. Exit the startup menu when it comes up.
Double click My Computer, then right click on the DVD-rom drive with the game DVD in it and select Explore.
Hold the CTRL key and then hit A. That should select all the folders and files.
Then hold CTRL and hit C. This will not look like it does much, but it's preparing to copy the files.
Close that folder and go to your desktop. Right click anywhere BUT on an icon, and Select New, then Folder. Name the folder Sims2 DVD.
Then double-click that folder, and hit CTRL and V. This will begin copying the files from the DVD.
Once the files are copied, remove the disc from the drive.
Double-click on the Setup icon in the folder.
You may delete the Sims2 DVD folder once the installation is complete.

#26 01-06-2012 
Michelle, I think we went through that list together. My problems are unique! LOL

I haven't tried the Install Shield thing. Trying that now!

OK. I'm Back. Neither worked. Sad

#27 01-06-2012 
well, when I installed sims2 I think I had some problems, cannot remember all of them. But my Sims games are in a folder called x86Program Files. I think I got some kind of alert when installing and it said it was not compatible. Then I said "run in compatibility mode" and it worked. You are installing as admin?

Hmm.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#28 01-06-2012 
Yup - I'm installing as admin. There's only one account on the PC.

I've tried installing them in that folder, and I've also tried installing them on Data, in it's very own folder. Neither work Sad

My PC doesn't want to install Sims2 from that disk. (I'd say disks, but we never get past the first one).

#29 01-06-2012 
i managed to install mine on win 7 on the laptop fine too, just had a problem with seasons until i polished it.
Karen Lorraine, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2012.

#30 01-06-2012 
Just a note. I could not install the original Sims 2 disk, but was able to install the Double Deluxe version. No Idea if this will help or not, but thought it worth mentioning.
RebaLynn1960, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Apr 2012.

Sorry, that is a members only option