Recognising Newer Graphics Cards for Sims2
#201 14-12-2013 
  • Registered
Hello!

I bought a new laptop with windows 8 and GeForce GTX 760M, and I am having graphical problems with messed up textures and flickering. I'm not an expert in these things, but I did play a bit with the graphic rules and I managed to fix horrible textures in the neighborhood by changing simpleTerrain to false in the rules, but the textures in the house-view grass are still not as they should be. Then I found your site and it looks like you actually know what you are doing, so I was hoping if you could make a file with rules for GeForce GTX 760M card.

PS. Like I said, I managed to fix some things, but I have no idea what I am doing and its just trial and error, so I am afraid I might screw something that will cause a problem later. Otherwise the game seems to work ok in Windows 8.

Thanks in advance.

#202 14-12-2013 
Hi Mareus - if you upload your your xxx-config-log.txt I can set up a Graphic Rules.sgr for you.
You can find it in your game play folder My Documents\EA\The Sims 2\Logs\
(and xxx equals the name of your computer)

I know a bit about what I'm doing, but I will tell you when I'm out of my depth. I haven't used Windows 8.

If you've got a laptop, then there's a good chance that you have a dual graphics card as well. The config-log will tell us which card it is using.

Kiri

#203 14-12-2013 
  • Registered
Hey!

Thanks for answering! BTW, yesterday after writing my post I tried using the file you made for Lolita combined with your video cards.sgr from the first page and it seems like it works exactly like the changes I already made by changing simpleTerrain to false in the rules. So, the neighborhood view is ok, but the grass in the house view still has bad textures and the game feels kind of sluggish considering the laptop specs. So I am hoping that if you can make the game recognize the GTX 760M card that it will run better and it might have better textures for the grass in the house view. The furniture and water textures seem ok. Also, I noticed that there are black squares under my Sim's feet when I turn the shadows to maximum. On medium shadows they disappear, but then you almost cant see any shadows. One more thing I forgot to mention, my laptop uses 2 graphical card (GTX760M and Intel HD-internal). I already configured the .exe so that it uses GTX - dont know if that is important, but I think I should mention it.

Here is my log - and again thank you very much for doing this - without people like you these games would be forgotten in oblivion and new games are not always better:

Attached File(s)
.txt  ANDROMEDA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.34 KB / Downloads: 455)

#204 14-12-2013 
That black squares is a known issue with Windows 8 - I think the current solution is in fact to set shadows to medium.

#205 14-12-2013 
Mareus, the reason why that Kristy's card works for you is because the game is using the INTEL card, not the GTX. I don't know how you configured the exe to use the GTX, but it didn't work.

The sluggishness and so on is because it's using the INTEL card. Yours isn't as powerful as Kristy's. The black shadows is as Lee says - a known Windows8 problem. Her fix will deal with it.

Anyway - this is the thread that I found on Tom's Hardware on how to set up using Dedicated Graphics on an Alienware Laptop.. I'm hoping that it might help.

I don't have a laptop with dual graphics cards, so although I've come across the problem - I don't have direct experience on fixing it.

#206 14-12-2013 
  • Registered
Well I am stumped what to do then. I configured the exe file in NVIDIA control panel. There I added the exe file and told it to use GTX card as a global setting. I did the same in PhysX option. I also checked that site you sent me and it doesnt help either. Perhaps the game is not recognizing GTX card and is automatically switching to the Intel HD, because your file is made in such a way that it recognizes Intel cards? I am just guessing, cause I am not an expert in this sort of things.

PS. Here is how you do it for NVIDIA cards. It should work, so I am stumped...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-graphics/

#207 14-12-2013 
Here is another thread I found - this one is specific to Sims 2, this time from MTS Not just the top thread, but have a look at the comments further down as well.

#208 14-12-2013 
  • Registered
Hey again.

I checked and you can see that my GTX card should really be activated. You can see that in the screenshot I attached. I have no idea why does the log show I am using Intel card.

BTW, can you perhaps send me the original video and graphic srz files. I want to see if the log will still say I am using Intel card when I run the game with original files.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

#209 14-12-2013 
Actually, you already have the original video and graphic files - The M&G ones are the same as the Apartment Life. So if you look in the Apartment Life, you can take a copy of those.

It is always wise to keep your originals - rename them, because that way you can always go back to them if you make an utter mess of them. Smile

Unfortunately, I don't know anything more about the dual graphic cards. Sad

#210 05-01-2014 
HelloSmile. I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but may i please have some help with my graphics files for my sims 2 games? I have already changed the video.sgr file, but i looked over your grahpics.sgr for an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series and then got utterly confused due to the differences with my graphics.sgr files for a AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series card. I am also using Windows 7 and am on EP09. I was able to change the lines concerning the terrain so they no longer look like hay in my neighbourhood, but the water is still relatively solid Sad. My partner also changed the lines concerning screen resolution for me, and that works all fine and is set at a lovely 1920 x 1080. I think i came across the texture 32MB in my files too, but i wasn't willing to touch anything in case i stuffed it up. But don't worry i have made backups. Also, the attached files have .txt extensions as i was looking at them beforehand Blush

Attached File(s)
.txt  CRUMPET-config-log.txt (Size: 9.56 KB / Downloads: 432)
.txt  Graphics Rules.txt (Size: 27.03 KB / Downloads: 531)
.txt  Video Cards.txt (Size: 26.73 KB / Downloads: 472)
illawara, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2014.

Sorry, that is a members only option