Recognising Newer Graphics Cards for Sims2
#241 13-01-2014 
I SEEM to have enabled Smooth Edging by adding my device to Video Cards.sgr. However, I also commented out the same things that are commented out in an Intel-centric GraphicsRules that are attached to one of these posts...so not sure which one fixed it. Sorry for lack of scientific principle.

Card is an Intel® HD Graphics 5000. I commented out:

# boolProp simpleTerrain true
# boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels false
# boolProp disableVSyncSupport true # work around flickering UI
# boolProp useShaders false # (EP2 change) mostly for performance, but driver issues showed up in v14.14

(Is the MultisampleLevels what disables Smooth Edges?)

Anyway, it's working and looking pretty well now with the combo of Nate's changes above and the two steps in this post. It looks/runs better than I would have expected, even with my many gigabytes of CC and my hilariously old and probably buggy neighborhoods (I have some that date from WELL before I knew ANYTHING about best practices of Not Effing Up Your Hood). I'm sure the SSD drive in the Mac helps a bit. I haven't tried to load an apartment building yet.

Edit: I'm not really sure that the ability to move the Smooth Edges slider is doing anything--I think I have basically the same amount of jaggies if it's less or more. Would welcome any tweak suggestions.

#242 13-01-2014 
I tried to re-create Nate's apartment visiting problem. My neighbor's apartment definitely stays darkened when the controlled Sim vists, but changing the seti values (at the top of file) back to 1/2/3 neither fixes the problem NOR re-introduces the white flickering I originally came to this forum about. Go figure. I never really play apartments anyway. It was definitely one of Nate's changes that fixed my flicker, though.

#243 13-01-2014 
I'm glad you got that working. My edge smoothing is still greyed out as well, but I'm not too worried about it. As for the apartment issue though, you don't have to worried. If you view the apartment in build/buy before moving a family in, then everything works normally. So if you want to play in an apartment with sims already moved in, just move them out, view the apartment, and then move them right back in.

#244 13-01-2014 
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Thanks for posting your experiments, too--that flicker was going to be a show-stopper for me (I had low expectations for this machine, but as your youtube showed, that problem was too irritating to deal with), and I'd already done a fair amount of banging my head against the problem. You saved me.

Randomly: I've been playing The Sims 2 since launch (ditto Sims 1), hated Sims 3 and never could make the jump. Whenever I take a break for six months or whatever, and come back to see people are STILL pumping out tons of CC EVERY DAY and that conversations like this--about how to make a 10-year-old (!!) game play nice with new hardware--are still occurring, it really makes me wonder what the heck EA/Maxis were thinking with their redesign for TS3. (I suffered similar heartbreak with SimCity 2013.)

I guess we are really lucky that these config files were set up well for future modification, and I'm grateful that people have spent time over the years figuring them out.

Now off to play my messy Ankh Morpork/Tudor England/Downton Abbey--populated medieval-esque mishmash hood.

#245 14-01-2014 
That's wonderful! Smile So glad you got it all sorted out together. Smile

#246 15-01-2014 
Hey Kiri! Yeah, I put the file you gave me in Store Edition's folder because I installed it too, and the problem is still here. I give you my config-log which says I have 1744 of Texture Memory but first you can see it says Memory 1024. Is that my RAM memory? I doubt since my system has 8192 according to Dxdiag. I upload you a pic of how I see the game, it's obvious if you look at the ground and clothes.

Im pretty sure its linked to Graphic rules file , because people using similar cards (AMD HD...) on Windows 7 does not have this problem!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  NITRO-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.03 KB / Downloads: 497)

#247 15-01-2014 
Your anti-alias is on, and at max - that would suggest that at least part of your graphics rules thinks it's at high-resolution. I'm going to have a more in-depth look at your config-log to see what else could be the problem.

#248 15-01-2014 
Thanks Kiri and sorry for the neverending problem! It's really bad because I don't know if it's the card or game config. I guess that if we have the same label of graphic card (despite havig a different version) mine which is 8670D should work too... Maybe it's because it seems to be integrated... Maybe my computer data could help you to figure it out, since maybe something's getting low... Tell me Wink

#249 15-01-2014 
Yeah, 8670D should be fine. I checked my memory (I have 16G Ram) and it says 1024Mb there so I don't think that's the problem.

#250 16-01-2014 
Hiya Kiri,
I PM'd you over at MTS2 about my new card's problems... do you want me to post everything here too (for continuity's sake)?
I'm really hoping you can help me get this sorted. It's not worth loading the game if it's just gonna crash in 20 minutes Sad
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

Sorry, that is a members only option