Recognising Newer Graphics Cards for Sims2
#251 16-01-2014 
Hi Catherine - I saw your PM at MTS, you don't have to copy it over here. I'm a bit under the weather today - 43C for the 3rd day in a row, and no power for some of it. I've been spending most of my time in bed in front of the fan.

Just a quick thing - the black rug under your sims feet is a problem with Windows 8 and Sims 2. If you turn your shadows off, it will go away.

I'll look at the rest, when it gets cooler later tonight - both Catherine and Alex.

#252 16-01-2014 
Oh my... -43C??!! Don't worry Kiri, take your time! I will be here. So, if you have 1024 that's normal, and I guess you see the game perfectly. Maybe it's a Windows 7 update? I have the problem with the shadows too but i just put the level down at medium, and the black thing disappeared.

#253 16-01-2014 
Not -43C, 43C. And yeah - dying of heat here. It's 3am now and 25C so while it's still hot it's not so bad. (Apparently it's going to be like this until Saturday).

Alex, you have the shadows problem with Windows 7? Hmmm.... that's interesting. Catherine, try swapping Shadows to medium. If your shadows is greyed out on the option panel, let me know and I will give you a graphics card that will hard code it to medium.

#254 16-01-2014 
Yeah, it's weird because the game use 512 for High Quality according to Graphicrules and my system says that my card has 768 of Dedicated video memory... It's something as if the game detect lower levels...

About the sahdows, yeah I fixed the problem this way and it worked (although the shadows are not sooo high).

So sad Kiri... you must be boiling... Confused

#255 16-01-2014 
OK. First step comparing your config-log to mine. The important part about how the game thinks it's using your graphics card is at the bottom underneath the heading that says:

Device properties
-----------------
boolProp useRenderTextures true
uintProp antialiasingSupport 1
boolProp dontMergeNHFlora true
boolProp enableDriverMemoryManager false
boolProp vs2LoopsFunctional false
boolProp presentWorkaround true
boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels true
boolProp usePS30 false
uintProp deviceLocalVideoMemorySizeDefault 1828716544
boolProp activeDeviceUseSoftwareRasterizer false
uintProp configParserErrorCode 0
uintProp hwMajorPSVersion 3

Now, you and I both have exactly the same Device properties, so that means that you're currently on high resolution, you're also on hi cpu and hi memory.

So the next question is, is the blurring on the sim something we can adjust, and is the ground really in low res? So going into my game to do a comparison, and a look see.

Returned:

OK. Changing the texture memory doesn't affect this problem - I've run it both with the texture memory at 32Mb, and at 1744Mb. My texture details are sharper than yours.
However, I have been able to reproduce your problem - although your game says you are running with texture detail set to High. (Detaile de Textura - Alto), you're actually running with texture detail set to lo (Bajo). (The first step in being able to fix a problem is being able to reproduce it).

Quick question, did you put the Graphics Rules.sgr in both the Config folder and the CSConfig folder? I don't know how much it matters, but it's worth a check.

At least now, I know what the problem is, so will have a look to see what the halibut it needs to know to actually behave at hi texture.

[Image: alex01.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 16-01-2014 06:45 PM by celebkiriedhel.)

#256 16-01-2014 
OMG, Kiri - that's 110F (right?) I'd die! I'm in central Florida, in the summers we occasionally hit 100F, I can't imagine 43C Sad Do you have humidity too? Ugh!

As to the shadow/black box... I'm on a Vista. I did take the shadows down to medium, and that 'fixed' it. But, I want them on high Wink I thought my shiny new GPU could handle that!
And, I'm still getting crashes - I think it's tripping over itself somehow...

Take care. Stay as cool as you can Cool
Proud member of LeeFish since Sep 2013. Angel
My Etsy shop
Time flies like an arrow ~ fruit flies like a banana
Ah, well... there is that
So, ...do you know the difference between roast beef and pea soup?

#257 16-01-2014 
Yeah. Is Hot. It addles my brain at that temp. Hence being up at 3-5am when it's cooler. Big Grin

At the moment Catherine, go with shadows on medium. I've been concentrating on Alex's stuff at the moment because he was first in the queue. I'll have a look at yours in a minute.

When you get crashes - you'd be getting a crash report I think?
Also, I didn't get your attachments at MTS - if you could put them up here instead, that would be good.

#258 16-01-2014 
OK - will do Wink
I'll add my crash log too - if I didn't delete the last one yet!

ETA - the files are up. I added the last 3 'exceptions' - apparently I hadn't cleared them out recently. LOL

Attached File(s)
.zip  VideoCardInfo.zip (Size: 42.29 KB / Downloads: 455)
My Etsy shop

#259 16-01-2014 
Fantastic. I'm about to go have a shower and see if I can nap again (it's 5:30am here) but will have a look at it when I get up from the nap.

#260 16-01-2014 
I hope you have a relaxing nap and wake up refreshed (well, as 'fresh' as possible in that heat!) I'll be here... workin' on my business taxes today *Oi!*

Any suggestions yet? *Blowing cool air down to the South* Cool
My Etsy shop
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 10:29 PM by CatherineTCJD.)

Sorry, that is a members only option