Recognising Newer Graphics Cards for Sims2
#41 24-06-2013 
Hi celebkiriedhel. Smile

My son just built me a gaming computer..it has an AMD Radeon HD 7770 card. My sims 2 game is not recognizing it, and I was wondering...do you have the time to help me out if I zip up my graphic rules.sgr and video cards.sgr and attach them here?

#42 25-06-2013 
absolutely dominie. zip it up, attach it here. Also if you could include your config-log.txt from the game - so I can see what type of not recognising it, it is doing.

#43 26-06-2013 
Thank you so much!

Attached File(s)
.rar  Video Cards.sgr.rar (Size: 4.36 KB / Downloads: 519)
.rar  Graphics Rules.sgr.rar (Size: 6.99 KB / Downloads: 507)
.rar  THEASSIMULATOR-config-log.rar (Size: 3.11 KB / Downloads: 503)
Dominie, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jun 2013.

#44 26-06-2013 
Hi celebkiriedhel

I've been following this thread and you've been so helpful that I thought you might be able to help me with my problem. I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. Just recently my sims 2 graphics started acting up. Flashing pink in neighborhood view. After googling the problem, I decided to update my graphics driver. After doing so, I lost all resolution options and my beautiful terrain went all blocky. After more searching, I was able to solve both the resolution issue and get my lovely terrain back. Yet, I'm still having the pink flashing issue.

My computer is less than a year old and I suspect it has something to do with a Windows update since the last one in May threw my graphics back as well. I've tried several edits to my graphics sgr files and I still can't get those pink flashes to go away. I even tried to manually edit my texture memory and though the game apparently seems to recognize my graphics card and accepted the texture memory edit, still getting flashing pink. Below is a copy of my config-log and my computer specs. If you're willing and able, perhaps I can also include zips of my graphics and video sgr files for you to take a look at. If this isn't something you can help me with, I understand and thank you for your time Smile

Liz

(sorry in advance if I included too much information)

#45 26-06-2013 
Hi Elizabeth - I haven't seen this issue myself, but I have known a few people to have this problem. And unfortunately it's not a graphics card/video card problem.

To be honest, most solutions out there start by blaming the driver, and it's out of dateness. And this is similiar to the 'turn the computer on and off' solution. It resets the card and adds some info, and sometimes the problem goes away. But it's not actually a 'this is why the problem is happening and this is the solution for it' type of answer.

The simple answer is we aren't sure what is causing this problem.

For the people who had it, starting a hood with no CC made the problem go away. So we think the problem is either 'corrupted hood' or something to do with the CC. ( http://sullivansims.blogspot.com.au/2012...again.html ) This is one of them - and she documents what she did. It may be helpful for you. (It's worth clicking on her blog notes to follow the process) She ended up creating a new hood and rebuilding her hood with less CC.

Have a look at the amount of CC that you have - compared to your machine. You'll know if you have a lot. Smile How long does it take for your game to load? Mine takes around 2 minutes or less with no CC.
Can you remember when it started and what CC you put in the game just before then?

One of the things that happened is that whatever was causing the pink didn't seem to be limited to a single piece of CC. It seemed to be about how much CC was in the game. (Hence the reason that Carla is rebuilding Sullivan).

I know that this is not the kind of help you would have preferred, there's a fair bit of work involved to get the game working again.

But I hope it helps!

Dominie - Got your stats and cards, I'll have a look at them today sometime and get back to you.

#46 26-06-2013 
Okay..ty, I appreciate you giving them a try. Smile

#47 26-06-2013 
I really appreciate you looking into it. I'm thinking you might be right since I hadn't added any new CC and uninstalling all my recent windows updates didn't help either. I did start happening while I was building a very large lot. I hate to think of the hood as corrupted since I've put sooooo much work into it but I also have a buttload of custom content. A rebuild is prob'ly inevitable. If anything this is a sharp lesson to STOP downloading EEVERYTHING!

Thanks again
Liz Smile

#48 26-06-2013 
Absolutely Liz - I'm being very careful with what I have in my game. It's also a strong reason to backup regularly. (Where backup = copy the whole 'The Sims 2' folder)

If you've got a backup of your hood prior to building that lot, and the appearance of the pink stuff, then I'd be starting with that. That will save a huge load of work.

If you haven't - I wouldn't get rid of your old hood, as it will help to build it again. Do you know about Rufio? If you go into SimPE, with the Neighbourhood Browser, select your broken hood, then go up and select Export, and give it a folder to export into, it will create some folders and CSV files and images that will give you a snap shot of your hood.

The CSV files can be opened with a spreadsheet, and there are pictures for every sim and every lot. It has all their details.

You can sim-surgery all the looks out of the old hood, and with the CSV and the sim-surgery packages you can set up all your sims as they were.

With the lots, I'd be tempted to package them up and then install them without CC and re-CC them with a limited set of CC. Taking a backup of your hood after every long session.

I'm in the process of re-building my hood (except that I keep getting distracted with recolouring and other creative pasttimes. Big Grin

#49 27-06-2013 
I had one last question: if editing the graphics sgr in the config folder, should the same changes be made to the csconfig folder as well? such as changing the screen mode resolutions or changing simple terrain from true to false? Or is it alright to simple change the config folder only?

#50 27-06-2013 
Yup - change both. Config is for the game, CSConfig is for something else.

Sorry, that is a members only option