But while I was examining cathair's mod, I found that I don't really agree with their method. A sim should not be able to help themselves to the key of someone else's room! If your neighbor helped themselves to a key of your house, you'd call them a burglar and notify the police, if you don't shoot that neighbor yourself!
So, here's *my* implementation: BO - Multi-key Dorm-Doors. This mod also works just peachy with my BO - Remote Dorm-Doors, but - of course - NOT with cathair's mod.
How my mod works:
- To give a sim a key, click on the outside of the door you want them to have a key of, and select "Keys.../Give key to.../<sim's name>"
- To take back a key, click on the outside of the door you want to remove the key to, and select "Keys.../Take key from.../<sim's name>"
- Only sims in the active family can give away keys or take them back. So a dormie made selectable, can NOT give other sims a key to their room!
- Sims can ONLY give/take keys to rooms that they themselves have access to.
- Sims can NOT remove any keys from themselves. This is to prevent you from accidentally evicting a sim by removing their key to their own room. That's what the 'Unclaim' interaction was meant for!
A bonus to my method is, that when you remove a key from a sim, they don't immediately lose ALL their dorm-door keys, but only the key that you took back! Cathair's mod uses the Maxis routine for removing keys, which isn't this courteous: it removes ALL keys at once, thereby effectively evicting the sim from whatever dorm they may have their room in!
Also, Cathair's mod wasn't really a mod. It's a complete replacement cloned from the original door! That's wasting a lot of space needlessly. Evidence: cathair's mod is 236kB in size, which is over 100 times as big as my take on it
Drawback: currently, my mod is English-only, and it will even force this language choice upon the default dorm-door options. If you play your game in a different language, please supply me with the correct translation for the following two menu options, and I'll update the mod to include your language! The menu options to be translated are:
- "Keys.../Give key to..."
- "Keys.../Take key from..."
UPDATE, June 11th, 2012: Added Swedish (thank you, NixNivis) and Dutch languages to the menu options.
UPDATE, June 19th, 2015: Added German translation, courtesy of bellaSquared.
UPDATE, March 15th, 2016: Added French translation, courtesy of Essa.
Of course, for this mod to do anything at all, you NEED to have UNI installed.
So this is especially for TwoFtMama, although everyone else may dl and use it too, of course
File Updated 15-03-2016
Oh, and as you may or may not know, I play in Swedish. I don't know how many of your downloaders do, but the Swedish translations go:
- "Nycklar.../Ge nyckel till..."
- "Nycklar.../Ta nyckel ifrån..."