sims2 #1
Quite a while back, TwoFtMama asked me if my BO - Remote Dorm-Doors worked with cathair2005's Myne door allows multiple sims. It does!

But while I was examining cathair's mod, I found that I don't really agree with their method. A sim should not be able to help themselves to the key of someone else's room! If your neighbor helped themselves to a key of your house, you'd call them a burglar and notify the police, if you don't shoot that neighbor yourself!

So, here's *my* implementation: BO - Multi-key Dorm-Doors. This mod also works just peachy with my BO - Remote Dorm-Doors, but - of course - NOT with cathair's mod.

How my mod works:
  • To give a sim a key, click on the outside of the door you want them to have a key of, and select "Keys.../Give key to.../<sim's name>"
  • To take back a key, click on the outside of the door you want to remove the key to, and select "Keys.../Take key from.../<sim's name>"
  • Only sims in the active family can give away keys or take them back. So a dormie made selectable, can NOT give other sims a key to their room!
  • Sims can ONLY give/take keys to rooms that they themselves have access to.
  • Sims can NOT remove any keys from themselves. This is to prevent you from accidentally evicting a sim by removing their key to their own room. That's what the 'Unclaim' interaction was meant for!

A bonus to my method is, that when you remove a key from a sim, they don't immediately lose ALL their dorm-door keys, but only the key that you took back! Cathair's mod uses the Maxis routine for removing keys, which isn't this courteous: it removes ALL keys at once, thereby effectively evicting the sim from whatever dorm they may have their room in!

Also, Cathair's mod wasn't really a mod. It's a complete replacement cloned from the original door! That's wasting a lot of space needlessly. Evidence: cathair's mod is 236kB in size, which is over 100 times as big as my take on it Big Grin

Drawback: currently, my mod is English-only, and it will even force this language choice upon the default dorm-door options. If you play your game in a different language, please supply me with the correct translation for the following two menu options, and I'll update the mod to include your language! The menu options to be translated are:
  • "Keys.../Give key to..."
  • "Keys.../Take key from..."

UPDATE, June 11th, 2012: Added Swedish (thank you, NixNivis) and Dutch languages to the menu options.

UPDATE, June 19th, 2015: Added German translation, courtesy of bellaSquared.

UPDATE, March 15th, 2016: Added French translation, courtesy of Essa.

Of course, for this mod to do anything at all, you NEED to have UNI installed.

So this is especially for TwoFtMama, although everyone else may dl and use it too, of course Big Grin
Enjoy!

I've used quite a few mods by others, thus taking FROM the community. With the work that *I* create, I'm hoping to give something back TO the community.

Do with my work whatever the &#$% you like. If you re-use, edit and republish my work, I consider it a compliment. Especially if you let me know about it, and mention me in the credits.

But, although I would *appreciate* the note and the credits, if you choose to be a dick and act as if YOU created my mods, there's not a whole lot I can do to stop you, so I won't even TRY.

Enjoy.

Screenshots
BO - Multi-key Dorm-Doors Screenshot      
Download link
Filesize 1.36 KB | File Name BO - Multi-key Dorm-Doors.zip | # of Downloads 2,962
File Updated 15-03-2016

Comments
#21 31-03-2016
No, dear. The system does not recognise that two sims share a door, and will NOT allow more sims to take residence than there are Myne doors. So if you delete any door, some sim *will* be evicted. This is no way of knowing which sim will be sent away, though it's most likely the sim that shares your room, because *their* door disappeared, and thus they no longer have legal residence in the dorm.

#22 31-03-2016
Well, I don't want eviction notices! Tiny "storerooms" up in the attic it is! Thanks, BO.

Sorry, that is a members only option