I have a confession to make....
#11 03-09-2012 
fanseelamb;16204 Wrote:* fanseelamb declares that owning a TV and never watching it does not count as having a TV

Fansee, you made me want to start watching TV again after reading that. Though I'm not much of a horror fan, so it wasn't any vampire show I watched. But I did switch on H2 the history channel's other channel that isn't filled with ridiculous reality shows about lobster fisherman or truck drivers, albeit it was around 4 am on Sunday morning, and nothing was on except an infomercial for Carol Burnett Show DVDs, but it was still entertainment watching that since they showed some rare clips of the show, and some cast interviews in modern days. Tonight I actually put aside what I was working on on The Sims 2, to watch animation domination on FOX which I really enjoy, even though it's not new episodes right now, it's still new to me since I've been not watching TV for so long. The awesome thing about these apartments I live in is they come with extended cable as part of the rent. Extended is better than basic, but doesn't include HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime which HBO I think is the channel True Blood comes on. I wish that I had premium cable when Queer As Folk was running, but even if I did I was a teenager, and my mom wouldn't allow any homosexuality (big throw back to living in the Bible Belt). Guess I could have watched it in my room. I did sneak in a few episodes of Will and Grace back in the day. I was a very deprived gay in my youth (Undecided).

#12 03-09-2012 
Queer as Folk was fantastic, Jon. You could always get the DVDs and watch it now. It's still relatively new as far as good TV shows go. (It was not even remotely similar to Will & Grace BTW. Don't watch it with your mom around.)

Some other fairly new shows I'd recommend to you TV deprived souls:

Drama: Breaking Bad, Dexter, Homeland, Deadwood, Generation Kill, Boardwalk Empire, Big Love, The Tudors, Downton Abby
Comedy: Nurse Jackie, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Californication, Extras

Mad Men is also a very popular drama. I don't personally watch it but knows lots of folks who love it. You can get a synopsis of all these shows on TV.com... maybe even see some clips. They're all high quality scripted shows - no reality TV nonsense, although if you're looking for that sort of thing "Wipeout" is utterly ridiculous and oddly entertaining.

Oh and as for True Blood, you really don't have to be a fan of the vampire genre to enjoy it. I would not have considered myself a big vampire fan before watching it - it's just a compelling and entertaining show. Its creator is the same guy who made Six Feet Under, so if you're familiar with that show you know he makes quality TV. Personally I think it's much better than the books that it's based on, and far more grown-up than Twilight.

#13 03-09-2012 
To me, television isn't what it used to be. Nowadays, anything that's meant to be comedy, simply portrays a dozen or so horribly selfish, egotistical, anti-social bastard-sons-of-bitches, each fracking up everything for everyone else. Example of choice: The Office. I've seen parts of a few episodes, and there's nothing in it that I could laugh about, or even chuckle.

If THAT has happened to comedy, I don't expect a lot better from any other show anymore.

#14 03-09-2012 
There's actually a lot of very high quality TV these days, stuff that's better than most movies. Most is found on premium U.S. cable channels like HBO and Showtime, and later released on DVD. The thing is you need to know which shows they are. If you just flip on the TV randomly you will indeed be inundated with junk - reality shows, unfunny sitcoms, etc. I agree about The Office, I've never liked that one. Parks and Recreation is a good comedy though. It's on the same channel as The Office, not on a premium cable channel. Modern Family is a good one too. Smile

#15 04-09-2012 
Sad thing is, most of those Channels mean nothing to me, since I'm a Dutchman, and thus don't live in the US. The channels *we* have to contend with over here... you wouldn't want to hear about it, believe me!

#16 04-09-2012 
True Blood is a great show, though I need to get caught up on the rest of season 5 (I'm about half through it). I quite enjoy the books too and should finish reading those at some point when I have free time again...

#17 04-09-2012 
My all time favorite show and sort of new favorite is Once Upon a Time. It's very magical, fairytale with modern drama thrown in for good measure. I just love it to pieces. Can't wait for season 2 to come on Sept. 30th.

#18 04-09-2012 
BoilingOil;16237 Wrote:Sad thing is, most of those Channels mean nothing to me, since I'm a Dutchman, and thus don't live in the US......

* leefish mumbles about torrents and shuffles off
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#19 04-09-2012 
Can I share a vampire story I wrote?... Yes I can. Whether any of you choose to read it - well, that's your choice.

The Last Sunrise

That's the sort of Vampire story I like Smile

I quite liked Warehouse 13, the couple of episodes that I saw online. And Yeah, Once upon a time - I saw the pilot episode on the plane coming home - it looks interesting!

I've watched a couple of snippets of the Big Bang Theory,

and also the series for IT Crowd and Coupling. They are good and worthwhile and it's worth having a look at them for whether they're good enough BO.
celebkiriedhel, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Dec 2010.
amazon wishlist because Lee said so.

#20 04-09-2012 
We watch the 'Big Bang Theory', it's awesome and so funny!
Karen Lorraine, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2012.

Sorry, that is a members only option