More of a "do you know how?" question
#1 18-09-2012 
1) Does anyone know what the incremental stages of shifting in AL are (i.e. when you move things up and down by how much do they move)? Y values for milkshape would be great.

2) When making windows does the north side face towards you when placing or the other way (really not a dumb question if you think about it).

3) How can you use and rescale an existing GMDC in a new package, i.e. a bit like slaving a texture only in this case it would be a mesh?

An answer to one or any of these questions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

#2 18-09-2012 
1) Good question and I'd bet looking at Silent Lucidity's shiftable OMSPs might help figure that out. EDIT: I've been playing around with this- .10 is the best I can narrow it down to. (So, 1.388 then next "level" up 1.488.)
2) The south side faces you. (I was thinking it'd be the north- good thing I didn't bet myself on that or I'd be mopping floors right now, lol.)
3) Not sure what you mean exactly.

#3 18-09-2012 
1) 0.10: I just tried in milkshape with a plane and it looks right and makes perfect sense so yes. Seems a bit obvious now. What is it with things always seeming so complicated but in actual fact being so simpleTongue

2) I always thought it was north (when you look in Simpe north faces you unless I am mistaken), less uncomplicated. I get why south would face you in game since we see things as up/front, top being north so we see vice versa....grrr.

3)It is possible to point to and use a texture or a tmxt without having it as part of a new package. I think the same is true for a gmdc that contains the mesh. i.e. You can use and re-scale an in game mesh without the need to clone the mesh in the new package but where would this information be contained?

I'm sure I have seen something like that before and if that is possible then it should be possible to do the same for a custom mesh.

#4 18-09-2012 
I don't think it's possible to share a mesh the same way you would share a texture or EA surely would have done it? For example, take the shrubs I just did--there's 12 different GMDC's for three unique meshes. My guess is they each need a different name in order for the BHAV's to work correctly. Don't take my word on it though -- I make stuff up all the time because it sounds good but turns out to be wrong. Tongue

#5 18-09-2012 
Things have to look complicated! That keeps creators on their toes. Smile

I'm still not sure about #3- I get what you're saying I just don't know how to accomplish that or if it's even possible.

#6 18-09-2012 
My instinct says 3 won't be possible because while you can change things like rotation and translation in the CRES, I don't think there's such a thing for size. So even if you could, theoretically, have a slaved GMDC, it would be the same size. But then again, SimPE still has plenty of other mysteries I haven't solved yet.

#7 18-09-2012 
You can definitely link to a GMDC instead of including one in your package. I've done that myself, so it's clearly very simple! There's a tickbox for it in Object Workshop when you clone the object - something like "reference outside mesh" or "include mesh in package" or... something obvious like that. (I did this years ago and can't open SimPE right now so don't have the exact wording.)

As for resizing it though, I doubt that's possible.

#8 18-09-2012 
* Honeywell is so glad she added a disclaimer

Maybe fansee is talking about the create stand alone box? But I'm going to keep that in mind now until I find a use for it. lol

#9 18-09-2012 
fanseelamb Wrote:You can definitely link to a GMDC instead of including one in your package. I've done that myself, so it's clearly very simple! There's a tickbox for it in Object Workshop when you clone the object - something like "reference outside mesh" or "include mesh in package" or... something obvious like that. (I did this years ago and can't open SimPE right now so don't have the exact wording.)

As for resizing it though, I doubt that's possible.

Yes, I remember you and that table. I also remember that no matter what you did the design tool never did work AND it only had one colour Big Grin

You can definitely reference meshes in fences though - in the XML - but again - only the existing mesh dimensions and fences are not recolourable.

I also think resizing it is not possible - in TS3 there is the stretchy column, but that is per floor - so it resizes in a specific size range and only in one direction, and the game engine was built with that idea in mind. Apparently.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#10 18-09-2012 
Honeywell Wrote:Maybe fansee is talking about the create stand alone box? But I'm going to keep that in mind now until I find a use for it. lol

Yes! "Create stand alone" - that sounds about right. Wait, no. I was right the first time. Just opened SimPE and there's a tickbox called "reference original mesh" - I'm pretty sure it's that one.

leefish Wrote:Yes, I remember you and that table. I also remember that no matter what you did the design tool never did work AND it only had one colour Big Grin

Yeah. But that was before I learned how to repository link objects. I was making it up as I went along instead of following a tutorial. Turns out that's not always the best tactic. Tongue So after successfully following the tutorial and repository linking two (omg TWO) new objects a few weeks back I had meant to have another look at that table to see if it's fixable. Just haven't gotten around to that yet. (Okay so maybe I completely forgot to look at it. But now that you've reminded me....)

ETA: Okay so I took a look at that old table of mine and still couldn't find a way to make the design tool work so that all the colours can be used. The trouble is when you don't include the GMDC and other mesh parts, you're missing the fields that you need to edit when doing repository linking.

Sorry, that is a members only option