Getting into Script Modding
#1 01-01-2013 
I'm looking into starting Script Modding and, as a novice programmer I'm trying to find the answers to a few questions. I've answered my main few questions, and what I hope to be the final question is this:

MTS says I should use visual studio for my Modding (or at least, Buzzler's tut focuses on it). I have Sublime Text 2 and want to use that, but my question is can I use it's Build System in the same way as in the tut? (link - scroll down to under the box of code) If so, how could I?

Thanks for any help. Celebrate

wave

#2 01-01-2013 
Happy New Year Seabody Big Grin

From my admittedly small experience with script modding I think if you know how to code in C# already then it really won't matter what IDE you use.

If you are new to C#/Sims Scripting Modding download the Visual Studio free edition and use that. Once you have the idea of writing scripts then you should be able swap over to Sublime Text 2.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#3 01-01-2013 
Thanks lee. Smile Happy new year to you too.

Just briefly checking over MS' page for VS C+ 2010 (the free version, whatever one it is), it says it's free for 30 days, then you need to register to obtain a product key to keep using it (for free) - how do I get this? I can't see any register link. Do you know if it's in VS itself?

wave

#4 02-01-2013 
After the 30 days is up the program will prompt you to register. It is pretty easy, and painless.

If you wish to do it sooner, then click on Help >> Register Product
RebaLynn1960, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Apr 2012.

#5 03-01-2013 
Thanks Reba. I took the leap and am installing it now.

wave

#6 03-01-2013 
Thanks! I've just completed the Pausinator (at least, to the point of Rinse and Repeat). I'd upload it, but it's so easy to make, and I'm sure there are a couple floating around (am sure that twallan has that feature somewhere in his suite). Plus, of course, I'm pretty sure it's default functionality in TS3 now. Tongue

wave

#7 06-01-2013 
I've started work on my pet project and I see that File.Delete is not working. I have the button click wired to the function, but it's not working. The whole function is:

Code:
private void ClearButton_Click_1(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Form1 cache = new Form1();
            if (cache.compositor.Equals(true))
            {
                File.Delete(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments) + @"\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\compositorCache.package");
            }
        }

I have checked (using a Debug button that echoes the value) that the path points to the correct place, and it does, but it still isn't deleting compositorCache.package.

It's obviously working somehow, I wrapped it in a try{} catch{}, and nothing untoward happens.

E: Oh, and if this should be in a new thread (or a different site Tongue), tell me and I'll pop it there.

wave

#8 06-01-2013 
SUCCESS! Just found out it was because my initial checks (which were using "cache.compositor.checked") were in the wrong case. To make it correct (and dodge the errors), I needed to capitalize "checked" - that is, "cache.compositor.Checked" was correct! Big Grin

So, I should have a stable version ready by tomorrow! Big Grin

wave

Sorry, that is a members only option