Smooth Edges - Graphics
#11 20-02-2013 
celebkiriedhel;18344 Wrote:Lee - Should I put the updated information and the original information into a tutorial so that we can stick it in the wiki and it won't get lost again?

Kiri - I think so, it is very useful information.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#12 20-02-2013 
Okey doke. I'll do it this weekend.
celebkiriedhel, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Dec 2010.
amazon wishlist because Lee said so.

#13 20-02-2013 
Well I still wasn't able to get smooth edges enabled by fiddling with the text file, BUT I was able to get a much nicer looking neighborhood. I saw a post somewhere where someone said you can get better looking neighborhoods with reflective water and better looking grass but didn't recommend it on an intel graphics card because they tried it with one, and it lagged everything in sight. Well I did it just to see (and of course made a backup of my graphics rules file) and there wasn't any lag, and I now can have a beautiful neighborhood one that I've never seen before. It's like playing the game all over again. I really can live without smoother edges, it doesn't make much of a difference. I once had a computer that could support smoother edges (until a pet knocked over a drink all over the keys while I was sleeping and ruined it) I had to run out quickly and buy another laptop and the one I bought didn't support them, though I honestly never noticed a difference at all. I was preparing an upload once at That Big Forum and asked if someone who had smooth edges capability would take a screenshot for me, come to find out, in my opinion the screenshot looked just the same if I remember correctly. Needless to say, when it came time to upload I opted with my own screenshot.

#14 20-02-2013 
Have you got a link to that TNW? I have no idea really how my hood looks....
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#15 20-02-2013 
TNW - you only need to do it for your latest EP, but there is code change for Intel to the Graphic Rules.sgr. For Intel it assumes it's a crap card, and that it can't handle anything.

Basically what happens if you don't do the video card id - is that the Graphic Rules.sgr makes it up, and sets you to software rasterization. If it can't work out anything else from your card, it will set the res to low, or medium if it can work some stuff out.

I've attached the Graphic Rules.sgr for Intel to this post. It's also got the ATI Radeon to it.

Once you've done the Video Cards.sgr change, this one should fix it all for you.

(Also it has a trace that shows up in the Config.txt so if it doesn't work we can find out why).

Attached File(s)
.rar  IntelGraphicsRules.rar (Size: 7.17 KB / Downloads: 880)

#16 20-02-2013 
You know I had a hard time finding that link to that forum post as well. I know it's on That Big Forum. Somewhere in The Sims 2 Discussion area. That's all I know. Even searching for neighborhood didn't get me there. I think you have to just flip through all the pages until you find it. It was posted sometime around November of 2012 if I remember rightly. had a few replies but not many. Oh and thank you so much for that file I'm about to go in game and see what goodies I get. Squee!

Edit

Well no sorry it didn't allow me to have smooth edges. I'm going to attach the config.txt

Attached File(s)
.rar  Graphics Rules.rar (Size: 7.15 KB / Downloads: 532)

#17 20-02-2013 
Just away to try those fixes now.

@kiri = My graphics are set to high resolution.
Will let you know how I get on. I really appreciate the help you have all given.

UPDATE: It works. Smooth edges now an option. Thank you so much!!

#18 20-02-2013 
Hi TNW - you've attached the Graphic Rules set rather than the config.txt

You'll find the config.txt in the log folder in your game - it's the one with the name of your computer on the front. The first bit of it will look like this, and that's what I need to debug your problem:

Log generated on 2/19/2013, 22:57

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 5.1
CPU: 4748.799804Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 1024MB
Free memory: 1024MB
User: User
Computer: WHOOSH
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Kiri: Hardware rendering is enabled
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 6819, Board: 25531458, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1172, GUID: D7B71EE2-2B59-11CF-7C73-5905BEC2C535
Driver version: 1172
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.773584, 16:9
Screen mode: 1600x900x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 1744MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1

#19 20-02-2013 
Me again! Now getting the Directx9.0c error.

I also think it is defaulting to low resolution too. I tried looking over the solution on the other thread, but could not find the right line of code in the GraphicRules file.

Attached File(s)
.zip  DEBORAH-PC-config-log.zip (Size: 2.68 KB / Downloads: 489)

#20 20-02-2013 
Oh okay, here's that then. I hope I got the right one, there are two, one says Jon, one says Jonathan, I sorted them by modified.

Attached File(s)
.rar  JONATHAN-config-log.rar (Size: 3.15 KB / Downloads: 503)

Sorry, that is a members only option