Faux Neon Sign is screwy when placed in a window :(
#11 08-05-2013 
Sounds like a total slacker made that window. Who the hell repositories windows to a door? some kind of fish brain...

#12 09-05-2013 
@Fansee, then it seems the problem isn't just with transparent textures (pity, because it was an excellent theory), but with transparency, period. That's good to know.

I've looked a bit closer at that particular window (or rather, at the door it's slaved to), and it turns out the texture isn't in the window like I thought it was - it's it very own overlay subset. Slap Which is why the sign works fine from the not-transparent textured side, but not from the glass side: even though the texture is not, the glass is still transparent like a good little window and has its stdMatAlphaBlendMode set to blend, and thus it hates all other transparent textures with a fiery passion.

Since the door/window already have two recolourable subsets, the glass isn't recolourable. Sad So if you want to make the glass side textured and non-transparent as well, you'll have to clone yourself a new window and add a texture to the glass. Of course, that glass will then have that texture forever and ever, since it still won't be recolourable... but if it's made specifically for a vampire bar, that might not be a problem. vamp
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#13 10-05-2013 
Hmm. So I was thinking about the curtain factor, and decided I should try to make the sign placeable in windows without cheats. (Thanks for sparking that idea, DutchXfan!)

So I changed the "Default Wall Adjacent Flags" in OBJD to 200 as it is on curtains. Just randomly guessed that that would be the thing that fixes it, but alas, it did nothing. And I can't seem to find any tutorials on this matter. Anyone happen to know how to make the sign placeable in windows without cheats? Or know where I could find this info?

ETA:.... wait a sec, is it the "allow intersection" field in OBJf? Let me try that...

ETA2: Nope, wasn't that....

#14 10-05-2013 
You can try allowing object intersection (goes in the Init). Doesn't always work on wall stuff, though.

Hmm. I'm looking at the curtain BHAVs, and there's an interesting placement flag set in the Init called "allow in air" that I've never come across it before. In my head, it sounds like that could be what allows the curtain to be placed over a window, but sometimes stuff that sounds great in my head doesn't work in reality. Tongue

And now I'm going to have to clone a painting to check, because I'm like that. Wink

Edit: Didn't see your edit until I posted, but no, it's the BHAVs - specifically, the Init - that determines where an object can be placed, not the OBJf.
[Image: nixedbuttongreen5.jpg]

#15 10-05-2013 
Do windows lock a tile? I think they do, so maybe add the 'allow on locked tile' in the BHAV init as well? Along with the 'allow object intersection'?

@Nix, I think the 'in the air' line is for objects to check if there's a ceiling. Like, a ceilinglamp. You can place it indoors, but not outdoors. (Not sure, though. I played with it once, but it was a while ago.)
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

#16 10-05-2013 
Fansee, this is the thing we changed in curtains long ago where you could not set the curtain over a window on a booth (remember?) If you make the sign intersectable by objects and sims it will work, and then as it is in a window they wont walk through it as the window is not intersectable.
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#17 10-05-2013 
Argh, BHAVs, my everlasting foe.

* fanseelamb shakes fist at BHAVs

I was hoping this would be much simpler. I hate BHAV editing - find it incredibly frustrating and nonsensical. The poster has only 1 line in its BHAV so it's not an obvious thing to edit and I can't remember how we edited the curtain one long ago. Suppose I could start over by cloning a curtain, but that would still involve plenty of fiddling with other stuff. Frankly not worth the effort and frustration. Think I'll just leave it alone. It's not a big deal to use a cheat when placing the sign in a window, right? Tongue

I'm thinking I'll upload this after all, btw, since you all have been so helpful and maybe someone would like to have it. Just need to polish up the description and stuff first.

#18 10-05-2013 
Edit: on second thought, do not follow the advice I'd put here initially. It's too generic if you're not a fan of altering BHAV's. If you want, I can take a look at it for you. Smile
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

#19 10-05-2013 
Oh no, wait! DutchX your instructions were VERY helpful to me! Do you still have them? I'd like to keep them for future reference. Luckily I still had the tab open so will save them for future reference.

Unfortunately it didn't work, but I was able to follow the instructions and it made BHAV editing far less scary. No matter what I tried though (object and person intersection, allow in air, window intersection, wall intersection) .... nothing worked.

Here are the files for anyone else who feels like their head could use a good banging against a wall. Tongue

Edit: Files removed since Honeywell has managed to fix them. OMG YAY THANK YOU. I'll upload them properly to the downloads section once I get some pics together. Smile

#20 10-05-2013 
Here are the two meshes edited so you can place them without cheats (the wall placement flags needed to be cleared in order for the intersect flags to work). I wasn't sure if you wanted something done with the recolors though?

Sorry, that is a members only option