Fixing a mod of the Debug Hug
#91 23-07-2013 
BO - if you PM me a suitable mail address I can change the mail address at MTS for you and you can reaccess your MTS account.

#92 23-07-2013 
Will do, thank you.

#93 23-07-2013 
Well we did think you weren't reading what we were saying about my lots being cc free with nothing but a lot file in CI. Sorry if that's not the case. I was saying on live journal I feel like I've opened a can of worms. But I thought it was important to post about so I quoted you a couple of times (hope you don't mind?) and said everyone should keep a fix in place at all times.

#94 23-07-2013 
Of course I don't mind, Jo. Quote as much of me as you need.

Because the more people know about the dangers of this bug, the better they can all protect themselves. I saw the list of fixes linked - mine first, such an honor! - so I suppose more people will be coming for them.

And yes, it's a bit of a can of worms... and rather pesky, persistent, tanacious worms at that. But I was surprised to hear that this bug also seems to hide in a step-family romance style mod. My own mod of such a nature does not contain it.

#95 23-07-2013 
Bo, it's okay.

And I am glad there are mods available that one doesnt have to worry about getting this. The thing is...it's going to be harder to be comfortable about dling other peoples lots, or sharing even, unless there is a complete solution for this, or everyone can just be comfortable with having a fix in their game and living with this bug.

#96 23-07-2013 
I know, Dominie. That's one of the reasons why I don't DL lots myself: the risks that such lots bring all kinds of invisible crap that I don't want/need. I'm not worried about this Debug Hug myself, because my game is protected with the fix I included in No Sim Loaded. But this bug isn't the only one out there that could hitch a ride…

It's also a reason why I don't share my lots. I'm not a very proficient builder, for one. But I also know that as a modder, my game is probably not the safest environment to develop lots for others. I wouldn't want others to suffer whatever may seem harmless while confined within my own game.

Therefor, you can believe that I understand the frustrations other people run into with issues like this. Smile

But this discussion has now at least triggered a new research thread at MTS, where a larger group of knowledgeable modders can look into it. Maybe we will eventually see this fixed still Big Grin

#97 23-07-2013 
I sure hope so..and I am being optimistic..too stubborn not to be. But if a fix can't be found, I am going to choose playing over building to share...perhaps sharing with a warning of the bug for those who arent bothered by it.

#98 23-07-2013 
Well Mootilda has this to say about my question.

Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I believe if you have the fix in place before downloading a lot or a social hack there is no risk of getting the hug. Is that correct? That's what I posted on my LJ.

No, I don't believe that's true. You can still get infected, but you won't see the symptoms as long as you have the fix in place. However, you can become infected and can pass that infection on to other people through your lots.

So it looks like even having the fix in place first is still just a fix for your own game. Sad

#99 23-07-2013 
Yup, that has always been true. However, you could still share lots, as long as you advise your 'clients' to also install a fix to overcome te infection.

But I hope that, with a little help from the community, Mootilda may find some way to get rid of it alltogether.

But the best way would be if people would not publish mods that are built on the Debug Hug template, because THAT is the actual culprit. Aliasthepal's Kiss Cheek interaction is one such mod, but I know that there are also some vampire-kiss/bite mods out there that are based on the same technology... and probably there are more mods like that... VERY bad!

I too made a Kiss Cheek mod. But I made it safe so it does NOT spread the bug. And I even built in the bug-fix.

#100 24-07-2013 
I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, or breaking any rules by posting this here also, but since the discussion of this seems to have moved over to MTS, I wrote up some ideas I had for tests over there. You can find them here if anyone would like to give me some feedback on whether they're valid/useful tests or not...

Sorry, that is a members only option