Fixing a mod of the Debug Hug
#61 22-07-2013 
The problem is that your AGS hoods would get infected just like your existing hoods. Uninstalling and reinstalling *could* fix your issue, but it also means you must completely abandon all backups of all your existing hoods, and also any custom lots you have in your lots and houses bin.

Cleaning up downloaded lots with Clean Installer is simple enough. The download page for that program is very clear about it, but in essence, it comes down to: opening the sims2pack with Clean Installer, and only selecting all non-hack items to install.

DDO has a similar tool for the home made lots you wish to share, but you could even use CI, I guess: package your lots for upload, remove the lot from the neighborhood and the bin, then run the packaged lot through the Clean Installer and again deselect all hacks.

But really, the best way to learn all about these tools and their abilities, is to read the instructions as the authors provide them on their download pages.

Anyway, if you have and use the proper programs, you should think twice about uninstalling and reinstalling... All that work is hardly worth the trouble, if you're forced to lose your favorite families in the process. *My* sims are my friends: I will not kill them!

#62 22-07-2013 
Wow Bo, I caught up and it's alot to take in.

so are you saying that the lots we thought were "fixed" are a temp fix? And this "bug" affects our game through the program files? So that even though I renamed my Sims2 folder and spawned new games to test, its still in my game i renamed?

#63 22-07-2013 
Yeah, the fix that you install, should never be removed from your game, because that is the only way to keep the Super Hug effect down.

The problem is that the Super Hug is an EA debug tool, a BHAV in the objects.package. There is some register somewhere that remembers if this BHAV (or the replacement in case of the Kiss Cheek mod, for example) is used. When you then disable or remove that mod, the game will use the fallback (the Super Hug) instead. And it will remain to do so, unless you start over completely. But it's way too easy to get infected again, so I recommend to live with it and just clean up after yourself every time you share a lot.

I wouldn't trust AGS games per se. It might help, but I would still use DDO and/or CI for every lot that I shared, because I consider that the only responsible thing to do for any creator. Some mods will also hitch a ride with lots, and even though YOU chose to install those mods, others may not want them, so you need to clean your uploads up anyway.
And if you use those tools religiously, it doesn't matter that your game is infected. And thus it doesn't matter that you use a clean AGS hood, or that you uninstall and reinstall.

Only if you NEED to reinstall anyway, and don't care about all your old hoods and downloads anymore, then please do the reinstall. But otherwise, just use the tools and live with it.

#64 22-07-2013 
Okay...I have always always used clean installer when loading lots, always used it when I share. But what I am wondering is if my program files are infected from testing lots that are infected.

#65 22-07-2013 
But Dominie checked the lot with CI - nothing there. Put it in game - pow - bug.

#66 22-07-2013 
That's right. There is no way anyone could of known it had it through the clean installer. There are absolutely no CC showing, no mods showing, in Jo's CC-Free lots.

#67 22-07-2013 
Yeah, it's in the hood! The uninstalled version of the lot is safe to share, but the one installed in the game gets infected as soon as you open it for play. That's why you must never get rid of the fix! And that's why you must always clean up lots that you want to share!

(22-07-2013 02:48 PM)Dominie Wrote:  Okay...I have always always used clean installer when loading lots, always used it when I share. But what I am wondering is if my program files are infected from testing lots that are infected.

Your program files are NOT infected. The bug is built in by EA! That's one of the reasons you can't really get rid of it. You can only continue to slap it down every time it tries to rear its ugly head.

#68 22-07-2013 
But how can you clean a lot with CI if it does not show BO?

#69 22-07-2013 
If it doesn't show, the file is clean and you can safely share it. But if you install it, and then re-package the file from within the game, you NEED to check it again...

#70 22-07-2013 
It's in the hood, I get that. but I have more than one game "spawned" in my documents/EA games..i have more than one game spawned. I rename them when its not the game I want to play. So, if the program files are fine..okay...I shouldn't have to worry if i only triggered the bug in the test game.

Edit: her lots showed as clean to begin with, were put into a newly spawned unaffected game..and when tested..there was the bug now triggered.

Edit again: And I do get that the bug is built in. So if the bug is "triggered" lets say...its triggered only in the spawned game..or even if i deleted my sims 2 folder, and spawned a new game..its still there..hence meaning my program files are affected in a sense.

Sorry, that is a members only option