Publishing Career
#1 08-10-2013 
Ever since I first opened the booklet that came with University Life (which, to be fair was only about two weeks ago!) I have played around with the idea of making a career that would fit the literary studies major. It is still very much work in progress, which is why I am posting here Smile So far, I've written down titles and descriptions, so lots to do still! But before I go on to write anything else, I would like some feedback, mainly to check whether this is unique and good enough in terms of writing and originality. I haven't found any other publishing careers, but that might tell you more about my Google-skills than anything else. I realize that this is nowhere near finished, but I want to have the basics nice and shiny before I move on to the details.

Titles and descriptions
1. Letter Sweeper
Before your boss trusts you with anything else, you need to prove to him that you are good with words. No chance for that when you are a Letter Sweeper! Get out your broom and if you read and write enough in your spare time you might scrape through.

2. Glue Mixer
Everyone in the office has been impressed by your special sweeping technique and they all use it at home. You are now responsible for mixing the glue that holds everything together, literally! Put on those goggles, weigh all the ingredients precisely and make sure nothing explodes! Be warned, your fingers might be sticking together permanently.

3. Pencil Sharpener
If you thought you would be handling manuscripts by now, think again. As the assistant to the cover artist you need to prove to your bosses that you are in fact the sharpest pencil in the box. Your eyes are tired from searching through piles of stock images and you cannot get the paint out of your clothes but at least you can get those creative juices flowing.

4. Publishing Administrator
Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of your own desk! Going from images to digits might seem a small step, but it feels like a giant leap to you. Before you get involved with the writing of the books, your boss wants you to learn how to sell them. Make sure the numbers add up, or else your local bookshop might be running out of stock, leaving you running from your boss.

5. Slush Pile Executive
Who knew that such a fancy title would be such a burden? Every day hundreds of aspiring authors send their manuscripts to publishers. It is your job to sift through them, find the jewels and pass them to the senior editors so they can make the final decision. After all, your tastebuds still need some development. Make sure you work enough overtime and take those manuscripts home during the weekend, else the slush pile will soon take over your desk.

6. Sales Representative
Now that you have learned to distinguish the Jane Austen's from the Maeve Binchy's it is time to start selling your babies. Just because you have taste does not mean everyone else has. Put on your suit and convince the local bookshop that you have the next bestseller in your hands.

7. Ghostwriter
The day you have been waiting for since the start of your career is finally here! As of today you are officially involved in the writing process. Although you find it a little disappointing that your favorite celebs do not write their autobiographies themselves, you do enjoy writing down the goriest details about their lives, pretending to be them!

8. Copy Editor
With the experience as a ghostwriter under your belt it is time to start minding about your p's and q's. Get out your red pen and help those aspiring writers dot their i's and cross their t's. Be careful though and keep in mind that you are not part of the grammar police. Churning out bestsellers is all this position is about, who cares about spelling anyway?

9. Literary Agent
Mimicking other people's voices certainly has taught you how to find your own. The public might not trust your taste quite yet but young writers sure see you as their mentor. A great novel might be considered a good purchase, but finding a great author is a lifetime investment.

10. Publishing Magnate
Congratulations, you have finally made it to the top! Who thought you would have your own shelf of editor's picks in most bookshops? Readers take your opinion for truth and whichever manuscript you lay your hands on turns into solid gold.

Thanks for reading Smile
Klaartje, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Sep 2013.

#2 08-10-2013 
It's brilliant Klaartje - sure made me giggle Smile
Karen Lorraine, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Jan 2012.

#3 09-10-2013 
Those are excellent. What about chance cards and skills? Which career reward?

#4 09-10-2013 
Thanks for the lovely comments Smile

Edit: I have been working on my career a bit more, so time for a new update! I will add them under spoiler buttons for convenience and in case people want to be surprised in game Smile
Things I have done: write 10 chance cards, one for each level; create a custom icon; set the career requirements; thought of the career reward.
What still needs to be done: think of clothes/carpool; set wages, hours, days. TESTING Big Grin (Is what I'm most looking forward to!)

Icon:
[Image: 51226_131016104706CareerIcon.png]

Chance cards(Click to View)
Requirements(Click to View)
Would love to hear your thoughts Smile
(This post was last modified: 16-10-2013 04:00 PM by Klaartje.)

Sorry, that is a members only option