High Poly Panic
#1 16-10-2013 
Hey all, question here Smile I really like the IKEA ISALA set and wanted to make a set, but after designing the side table, I checked the polycount and it was 3200 polys. Is there any way to bring the count down without compromising the design? Should I not bother sharing this set if I can't lower it?

nanashi, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Aug 2013.

#2 16-10-2013 
The high poly count is probably due to the high resolution detail of the round parts. You might wish to lower the resolution, make it somewhat less precisely round.

#3 16-10-2013 
nanashi - if you upload the mesh somewhere I could have a look at it if you like?

#4 17-10-2013 
Thanks, BoilingOil. I took your advice and halved the cylinder slices to 6. This is the lowest poly count I could get to without compromising the design. That got the polycount down to 1700 which I'm okay with since it's close to the HEMNES round table.

Thanks, for offering to help, leefish!

#5 17-10-2013 
Glad I could help, dear. Big Grin

#6 17-10-2013 
what about the stacks? Cylinder stacks have a huge impact. Looking at that those legs, 30 stacks? Unless you used spheres for the very round bits in which case you could get it even lower.

#7 17-10-2013 
Yes, it IS a VERY ROUND table... Lots of polys, if you want to make it look round enough.

#8 18-10-2013 
(17-10-2013 08:47 PM)leefish Wrote:  what about the stacks? Cylinder stacks have a huge impact. Looking at that those legs, 30 stacks? Unless you used spheres for the very round bits in which case you could get it even lower.

The leg is a mix of spheres and cylinders. ^_^ But there are still a lot of stacks, but it's worth it because ISALA is such a lovely set.

#9 18-10-2013 
Pretty table! Big Grin But yeah, round things makes for a high poly count.

My personal take on poly counts is this: I try to keep my things as low-poly as possible, but if there's a good reason for it being high-ish in poly and there are Maxis objects of equal poly count? Then I don't feel all that bad about the poly count even if it is on the higher side. I might tell people that "this is a bit high poly, so if your computer is old and tired and you have problems using [equal poly Maxis object] you might want to give it a pass", but I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

(I do get annoyed when I see a 5,000 poly mesh that could have been made with 500 polys if the mesher had only made a bit of an effort, but that's a different story. If you have almost halved your original poly count, then you have indeed made quite an effort. Smile)

#10 18-10-2013 
I'm all with Nix on this one. Very well put, Nix Heart

Sorry, that is a members only option