Milkshape Question
#1 12-11-2013 
Hi, ho, hello. I have a question that I'm really hoping that someone can answer: Is it possible to 'cut' a hole in an object using Milkshape 3D. I know that this is possible in other 3D software, but I can't figure out how to accomplish this in Milkshape 3D. An answer and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on a couple projects now and knowing how to do this would save me some killer time. Cheers.
nanashi, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Aug 2013.

#2 13-11-2013 
What kind of hole? Does it absolutely have to be 3D and done with the mesh? Because otherwise cutting holes can be done quite easily with the texture and TXMT.

#3 13-11-2013 
I think that milkshape maybe cant do that easily - what you can do is increase the number of polys by using the subdivide option. If you make a box for example and select the two opposing faces - and then hit subdivide by 4 twice then you can create a shape like the one in the picture.

Then you add some planes in the right places and finally hit vertex data merge per vertex. (Last step not done in pic so you can see the idea.)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#4 13-11-2013 
It's for a filtering flask. It will be transparent, I already made a repository version of an Erlenmeyer flask and I would like to cut a hole in that flask and add a cylinder. I also have Blender, but I don't know how to use it and don't have time to learn over the weekend this month because I'm a bit too busy.

BTW: I know it can be done in Blender using 'snap' but snap in Milkshape 3D has a different usage meaning... or does it?

nanashi, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Aug 2013.

#5 14-11-2013 
ok, so you need to find the face that you want the cylinder to snap into and do the subdivide thing using subdivide by two. I would select 4 faces and then subdivide. Delete the bit that you are going to join the cylinder onto and then select the vertices and move them to make a rough cylinder shape - then move that cylinder into place and snap the vertices together. I use the excellent vertex data merge plugin by Wes H. Basically, once you have the hole and the new tube then make sure the new tube is the top shape in the milkshape groups list, then selected two vertices at a time use the vertex data merge.

Depending on how much help you want, if you upload the objd I can probably add it for you. I have added the rough model if that would also help.

.rar  milkytube.rar (Size: 2.77 KB / Downloads: 493)
The site don't jive? PRESS F5 Flower

#6 14-11-2013 
Is it possible to give 10 likes?! I am making this as a gift set, so I guess I should do it by myself, but if I stumble, then I appreciate (and will take you up on) your offer to help! (^_________^) Thank you so much! Going to work on this over the weekend.

Sorry, that is a members only option