• The Grapes of Wrath
  • Reviewer: Klaartje
  • John Steinbeck
  • Genre: Fiction Historical
  • Rating: 9/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
From the cover: 'I've done my damndest to rip a reader's nerves to rags, I don't want him satisfied.' Shocking and controversial when it was first published in 1939, Steinbeck's Pulitzer prize-winning epic, The Grapes of Wrath, remains his undisputed masterpiece. Set against the background of Dust Bowl Oklahoma and Californian migrant life, it tells of the Joad family, who, like thousands of others, are forced to travel west in search of the promised land. Their story is one of false hopes, thwarted desires and broken dreams, yet out of their suffering Steinbeck created a drama that is intensely human, yet majestic in its scale and moral vision; an eloquent tribute to the endurance and dignity of the human spirit.

Review: Steinbeck is one of those authors of which I want to read all of their novels. I've read East of Eden, Of Mice and Men, and his King Arthur stories before so I already knew a little of what I could expect. One thing that strikes me about Steinbeck is that most of the reviews about his novels use big words, suggesting that Steinbeck is a writer of Truth, Humanity, Love, etcetera. Funny thing is, which I only realized when reading The Grapes of Wrath is that he doesn't write big. Steinbeck is a writer of the small things. People providing a tent when their neighbour's loved-one is dying. Building a dam together instead of fleeing because one of the daughters is in labor and cannot travel. All these small situations are described beautifully, I really enjoy his writing style. The biggest surprise? I never thought this book would be a 'Road'-book!

Fun facts: I pledged to read 75 novels in 2014, this is the first I finished. I also want to read - over an undefined period of time - something by all Nobel Prize for Literature Winners. Steinbeck won the prize in 1962.

Comments
#2 08-01-2014
That is an amazing goal! I should read this book again because I read it when I was a young student for an English literature class. I don't remember it at all.

Sorry, that is a members only option