• The Fault in Our Stars
  • Reviewer: Klaartje
  • John Green
  • Genre: Fiction
  • Rating: 7/10
  • Review Type: Book Review
From the cover: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Review: When this novel was translated into Dutch it created a lot of buzz and I added it to my mental 'would-like-to-read-at-some-point'-list. The holidays came around and I decided to gift it to my little sister. Turns out she read it over summer and her, my mum and other sister (who both hadn't even read it!) bawled their eyes out. Needless to say, I was quite excited that I could keep the gift and give her something else Big Grin Quite a long introduction, but that brings me to my point: this book fits right into the category of YA-literature. And I was expecting an adult novel. Unfortunately, that means my review is a little tainted by that fact...
I am still a little undecided about what I think of the quality of the novel. Sure, its a good read, a cute story and all that, but I think that the author could have taken his writing to a higher level. But then again, I am probably saying this because I wasn't expecting a teenage novel. I love how the characters are fleshed out, and some of his sentences are downright gorgeous, but something is missing. As a YA-novel, what I think this novel succeeds in, is drawing the reader in and showing how your outlook on life and worldview can change when you are dealing with a terminal illness. Of course, I cannot pass judgement on the truth-value of that particular perspective... If you are looking for a fairly quick and easy read that will make you feel close to the characters, this book might be right for you. If you're looking for something that will change your life, not so much...

Comments
#2 24-01-2014
hmmmm. Well, as we know I read old people books. It does sound like an interesting read - maybe in the same line as "Lovely Bones"? That wasn't exactly entertaining and not that adult, but was a good read.

#3 30-01-2014
It is an interesting read, I just saw the movie trailer and now I'm wondering whether I have been too harsh and completely oblivious to half of the book. And grumpy when writing the review.

Sorry, that is a members only option