Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#1061 11-04-2015 
  • Registered
Hi.

Brief background:

I bought my laptop in November 2013. TS2 looked awful, but my computer consultant was able to get it 90% working right, and I fixed a couple more graphics rules to get it almost perfect, and played it satisfactorily for over a year. The only thing lacking was reflections on pool water and the ocean, and last night I came here and downloaded the Graphics Rules Maker, hoping I could get that issue fixed and have my game look perfect. Now I'm back to square one with blocky water and 800x600 resolution only.

Maybe I chose wrong options, I don't know. It was late and I was tired, shouldn't have taken a risk like that under those circumstances.

[Image: ScreenShot023_zpsmvyd18mx.jpg]

[Image: ScreenShot024_zpskokjaohc.jpg]

I tried a system restore, and also reverting back to my Graphics Rules and Video Card files that were working, without luck.

Windows 7 Pro, SP1 64-bit
Video card: AMD Radeon HD 7650M (AND Intel HD Graphics 4000)

I couldn't find any settings on the AMD card like was shown with NVIDIA.

I don't know if it will help, but I have two game config logs: one from a full backup in December when everything but pool/ocean water were working great, and one from last night after things got mucked up.

CURRENT LOG WITH BAD GRAPHICS:

.txt  LAURIE-HP-config-log 04-09-15.txt (Size: 10.43 KB / Downloads: 417)

DECEMBER LOG WITH GOOD GRAPHICS:

.txt  LAURIE-HP-config-log 12-26-14.txt (Size: 10.44 KB / Downloads: 464)

Thanks so much for all your wonderful work with this!

#1062 11-04-2015 
@lorinsv60

The reason why you are back to crappy graphics is because you have the texture problem. It looks like for the Graphics rules maker, that if you're going with the INTEL graphics, you're going to have to apply the texture fix for yourself.

I have no idea how to do the whole dual video thing with the Radeon. I'd suggest googling it.

In the meantime, the INTEL graphics card is actually quite sufficient for you:

On page 1 at the bottom of the first page is

Graphics Rules-INTEL-MedCPUMissingTexture.rar

download that one instead and put it in your config and csconfig folders. That should fix your problem.

If it doesn't - please come back here with your config-log.txt.

#1063 11-04-2015 
  • Registered
That did the trick! I had my doubts at first because the loading screen was still tiny, but the water in my neighborhood view was back to looking good and the in-game graphics options were there. Switched to the largest resolution and it looks just as it should, and now I even have reflections on my pool water!

Many thanks for all your efforts that keep the Sims 2 community alive and well, I am truly grateful. *heads over to donate*

#1064 17-04-2015 
@celebkiriedhel

Just checking back - I have nearly given up on all Sims right now. *sigh*

#1065 23-04-2015 
  • Registered

.txt  -config-log.txt (Size: 10.34 KB / Downloads: 393)
OS - Windows 8
I have change the graphics rules [I used Intel], The graphics change but it is still force closing when going to create a Sim

#1066 23-04-2015 
Sorry to all who post here. I'm going through a depressive episode due to real life circumstances and as such I have a brain made of mush. If I ever come out of it I will be back and fix things. I'm sorry I'm letting you down, but unfortunately it's one of those things that no matter how much I'd like to help I don't have the stuff to be able to do it.

#1067 11-05-2015 
  • Registered
Hello, TS2 with all EPs and SPs won't run on my computer even if I already fixed the video cards and graphics rules files. I also tried running in compatibility mode for W7, Vista, and XP (SP3) while running as administrator. My .NET Framework and Visual C++ along with DirectX is also up to date. I really want to play. Sad

This is the error that appears:
[Image: nlbs00.jpg]

Attached is my DxDiag report and my latest log from trying to run the game

I would appreciate all the help Big Grin
.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 77.5 KB / Downloads: 595)
.txt  N-GIL-config-log.txt (Size: 9.39 KB / Downloads: 394)

#1068 22-05-2015 
  • Registered
Hi,

I am currently attempting to get my Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to work. I installed graphics rule maker and when I did that it gave me the DirectX9.0c error. However, before I installed the fix it ran the game. But, I cannot play the game without a flickering screen as well as other graphic errors. Please help :/

#1069 23-05-2015 
  • Registered
Greetings,

I really appreciate your hard work with helping people here. I have a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1 (surprisingly I did not need Grumpy Loader to install) one intel HD4400 GPU and one Nvidia Geforce 840M 4 GB GPU. The game recognizes my chipset, but when I try to use my Nvidia gpu the desktop resolution gets distorted and after a while an error message reading something like "Direct X error, e_Invalidarg". Trying your fix for dual graphics solves this problem, seemingly, but instead the game wont recognize my GPU as direct X 9 compatible and it wont even attempt to boot the game, and I get the same error when switching to the Intel GPU. I now reset the settings to be able to play the game at all. While I always have been able to play Sims 2 nicely using Intel chipsets without any noticeable computer decay, I'd much rather play using a dedicated graphics card now that I have one. Do you have any idea of a possible fix? The Graphics log is completely empty, but I'll post my config log.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: no need to rush for my sake, take your time!

Attached File(s)
.txt  LEONA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.28 KB / Downloads: 380)
(This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 04:31 PM by illirey.)

#1070 27-05-2015 
Just thought I'd stop in and say thanks! When I first installed the Ultimate Collection I wasn't able to select any resolution over 800 x 600, but after trying the graphics rules file for my card brand it seemed to fix the resolution problem. I also had the problem with the weird shadows under characters, and this topic also helped with that. So thank you very much for the info posted here, it was very helpful for me! Smile

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option