Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#211 26-05-2014 
  • Registered
Hee! It's nice to meet a fellow Pratchett fan. Smile Most people kind of give me blank looks for my user name. Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

I reinstalled EP9 due to some game-crashing glitches that turned out to be corrupted files. I'm not above doing an entire reinstall of the whole shebang, though, if that might get the game up off the ground. My error message is the same DirectX 9 incompability error that was featured in this thread, and I've included a screenshot of it. I did follow the instructions in that thread to no avail, and I always run TS2 as an administrator. Forcing compability to Win7 or Service Pack 3 hasn't worked either.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

#212 27-05-2014 
Lets start with a whole uninstall/reinstall with no CC for a start. Run the game as admin, and WinXP-SP3 for the moment.

You're on windows 8.0 or 8.1? If 8.1, then the driver for directx is definitely a problem and should be downgraded.

Changing the Graphic Rules will only help once we've got the thing going. And I'd say leave the graphic rules as is, until we can get the game up.

P.S. Maurice and his educated rodents is one I really love - and have an mp3 of it that I got from BBC4 that did a performance of it with David Tennant as DangerousBeans. So in my mind you now sound like David Tennant. Big Grin

#213 27-05-2014 
Hey Celebrkiriedhel,

THanks for the fixes and the information on how to work with them. I got my game to be able to run the fixes and successfully work. I did have a question though. I noticed my shadow settings were still greyed out, but I kinda want to turn them off, How would I go about that?

#214 27-05-2014 
Hi Levini

Probably the easiest way to do it, is to put it in your userStartup.cheat file that is in your config folder of your game.

setOption Shadows 1

is the command to put in there.

The second easiest way to do it, is to modify userProps.xml in the config folder of your game

Look for that line, and update the number to 1.
<AnyUint32 key="optionShadows" type="0xeb61e4f7">2</AnyUint32>

You need to update the xml file in note program.

#215 27-05-2014 
Ooh! Thank you for the response. I think I did it right and I will check when I reboot the game.

EDIT: It works! Thanks so much for the help. Now I got my pretty neighborhood terrain and no shadows.
(This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 01:01 PM by levini.)

#216 01-06-2014 
Hi Leefish!

Firstly, I just wanted to thank you for being so wiling to help!

Okay, here is my problem:
I got a new graphics card (N-Vidia Gforce 750 TI) I played the game a few times with the new card, and then I had to uninstall and reinstall everything, which took forever. During this process I would periodically check to make sure the game would play, and it did. I had the black box issue, but when I turned shadows off it went away. Anyway, before I knew about this thread I uninstalled Mansions and Gardens, and then reinstalled, because I kept getting the message:

Failed to enumerate any DirectX9 compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest manufacturer provided driver. The application will now terminate.....

(Same as the person a few posts above) After updating my drivers, then doing a bit of research, I finally was led here. Then I read your fix and downloaded the info/files provided- still no success. I can't even start up the game, so my log is missing much of the information it would have had. Basically, I just want to be able to start the game! That would be a good start. I don't know why it started before, but won't start now. The last time I started it I was up to Family Fun stuff....I think.

Anyway, I am stumped and don't know what to do, but from the looks of it, I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Here is my log info, and I'm on Windows 7.

Attached File(s)
.txt  PRINCESSAMY-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 1.09 KB / Downloads: 391)

#217 01-06-2014 
Hi PrincessAmy,

I would start with uninstalling all the sim games, and then just installing Base Game for a starter and see if that will work.
To be honest I'm pretty sure that the game doesn't cope with uninstalling one expansion and then reinstalling it.

Don't install the expansions - just the base game.

Then come back here. I know it's a lot of work - but it's better to do the work and get the game running, than not.

#218 02-06-2014 
Okay,

So I uninstalled, then reinstalled the base game. It played, so I patched it up, added University, and patched that up too. Still played okay, except for the shadow issue and the way my graphics sort of wavers a little bit, as if I haven't gotten enough sleep, lol.

Here is an updated log. Remember, I'm running windows 7.

Attached File(s)
.txt  PRINCESSAMY-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 8.4 KB / Downloads: 409)

#219 02-06-2014 
  • Registered
Hi Kiri, I was redirected to this topic and I've looked through it, but couldn't find someone with the same card as I do, so I figured I'd better ask you before I start experimenting Smile
The problem is that my game flickers; it's as if the texture of objects behind sims and other objects bleed through a bit:
(This also happens without cc, I've tried vanilla for a while and it still happened)

[Image: Sims2EP92014-06-0215-28-55-99_zpscd48d5db.png]

I've included all information/specs I think you'll need below:

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 31.48 KB / Downloads: 503)

.txt  SAMETHANA-config-log.txt (Size: 10.23 KB / Downloads: 415)

I've had this problem for a while, (ever since I've had this graphics card actually) and I just figured the card wasn't all that great and I'd just have to live with it. Now that I've seen this topic, I really hope that you'll be able to help me out so I can enjoy my flicker-less again.

#220 03-06-2014 
SAMETHANA:

I haven't seen this problem before in quite the way you've got it.

Will have a look and a think and get back to you.

By the way - [Image: hug.gif] Hello old friend!

CHILD OF AIR:

That's excellent that the game is running again up to there.

Just checking - when you have it running - are you running it as admin, and setting compatibility to XP?

Now at this point - I don't want you to install the other expansions - Just install Mansion & Gardens. This way we find out if it is the M&G expansion pack or not that is the problem. (Don't worry about installing them out of order - for Windows 7 this can actually work better than installing them in order).

I had a look at your config-log.txt and you should be ok for the highest settings, but you're not on them - I have a graphic rules card that you can use that has a trace in it to tell me actually where the problem is. Once you've installed M&G and checked that it is working, I'll give you the card to try it out and we'll see what's happening.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 04:36 AM by celebkiriedhel.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option