Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#231 04-06-2014 
Thanks Shadowpenn.

I'm going to have to create a new graphic rules/video card sgr files for you.
I'm out tomorrow all day (9am - midnight), so it will be Friday before it's ready. Sorry about the delay.

#232 04-06-2014 
  • Registered
Hi Kiri
so i was doing some Google searching on why my sims was not seeing all of my screen resolutions, and then i came across your very old thread on the subject, so i attempted to add my laptops apu video card (which is the only one in the system) and it is still saying video card not in database, which i also think forces the game to use software rendering. i also did try all of your amd files too so that is another point of reference. i'm sorry to bother you but i'm kinda hitting a brick wall here if you know what i mean. but as stated here is the specs and the config-log files.
system:
asus k55n
cpu/gpu combo a8-4500m with windows detecting the gpu as a AMD Radeon HD 7640G
512 mb dedicated video memory with 2 gb shared (i know sims wont use all of it but just so you know as texture memory is shown as 32mb)
12 gb of ram
windows 7
i added this line to the video cards.sgr in the amd section but to no avail:
card 0x9903 "AMD Radeon HD 7640G"

anyway when you get a chance, thank you for you help!
Jeff

Attached File(s)
.txt  config-log.txt (Size: 9.79 KB / Downloads: 372)
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 03:14 AM by barnstormer.)

#233 05-06-2014 
What was your previous graphics card?
AMD Phenom II X4

(Wondering if it was a different brand, and if that would make a difference).
When was the last time you updated your graphics drivers (that's for your graphics card rather than the directx) and where did you update them from?

I got them from the source, and I updated them right after I got this message originally- so about a week ago.

Also - did yours stop working/start glitching around the same time as DangerousBeans? It could be that Windows did an update that effects it.

I have NO idea. It was about a week ago, last weekend I think.

Also - are you on a laptop or desktop? And do you have dual graphic cards? All of these can effect the way the game plays.

Yes, the AMD came with my computer. I used your fix for it and it didn't help. I'm on a desktop. For now, I'm going to uninstall everything and start again. I have a feeling there is a way to prevent, but fixing after the fact seems impossible. :/
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 03:05 AM by child_of_air.)

#234 05-06-2014 
Child of Air

We're not trying to fix it after the fact at the moment - what we're trying to do is identify exactly what the problem is. At the moment I'm in the process of eliminating possible causes. So I'd rather you didn't uninstall anything yet. I know that this is frustrating, but it is useful and as we home in on the exact cause we can make sure the only change we make is the one for the problem rather than making a raft of changes and hoping that one of them will work.

My next thought is - I'm going to go with a Windows update. Now what we need to do is check is reverse a windows update - but first we need to see what windows updates you've got.

What I want you to do -

1. Go to Control Panel (Choose View - Small Icons)
2. Select Windows Update (the last icon)
3. Select View Update History
4. Click on Installed Updates (Choose View Details, Click on 'Installed On' header to sort by date)
5. Take screen shot of everything that has been installed in May and June of this year and post it up.

What I am going to do with the screenshots -

Each of the updates has a KB number. This can be used to look up what the update was actually about. If I see one that involves graphics at all we're going to uninstall that one and see if it makes a difference.

Brainstormer

You have the texture memory problem. Which is why nothing is working for you.
If you go to the first post in this thread - and download the graphic rules card for AMD 7700, that will fix your problem for you.

The instructions are in the first post on how to install it.

#235 05-06-2014 
  • Registered
Hi kiri
so i tried your suggestion of using the 7700 files again as still my "card" isn't being seen in the database. I also tried as someone else said somewhere dealing with the texture memory issues to try uninstalling one of the windows updates and i did and i hid it so it wouldn't install again and that worked till i tried running 2 monitors(in extended desktop view, not eyefinity, with a youtube video playing on the second display) which broke it again, and i cant get it back, and i do this every night(sometimes with minecraft and i want to get back into sims again, other times when im programming (but that's beside the point, i think) ) anyway ill post an in game shot (with the video options im seeing) and the config-log after the 7700 .sgr file replacements. also as a side note sim city 4 is also not kicking into hardware render either.
update: i did just try a reboot as well just to see if for some strange reason it would fix it, and it didn't.
anyway thanks for your time
Jeff

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  JEFF-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 9.7 KB / Downloads: 355)
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 04:50 AM by barnstormer.)

#236 05-06-2014 
The reason why the card didn't work is because you didn't put it in the right place and you still have the 32Mb texture problem. The reason why I can tell this - is I have a trace in the graphic rules which puts my name in your config-log.txt.

Forget about the Video card for a moment - that is NOT your problem.

You need to install your graphic rules in the folders which also contain EP5 - which I believe is Seasons.

So put it in
\EA\The Sims 2 - Seasons\TSData\Res\Config\
\EA\The Sims 2 - Seasons\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

#237 05-06-2014 
  • Registered
well i double checked (by deleting the graphics rules.sgr, videocards.sgr that i had before(i have saved the origanal files)) the files again, and still the seemingly same config-log.txt and i did install them in the seasons folder, should i also replace the ea/sims 2/ ones as well? and ok ill forget about the video card for now. but ill still give the new config file. Sorry to be a nuance.

Attached File(s)
.txt  JEFF-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 9.7 KB / Downloads: 337)
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2014 06:11 AM by barnstormer.)

#238 05-06-2014 
It still has the same problem. OK.

1. Exactly what expansions and packs do you have - are any of them deluxe or collections?
What happens is if there is a collection or deluxe - then one of the other expansions can end up being called 'ep99' or something. That is the folder that you need to put it in - the one with the highest ep number.

2. Download this set of cards and use it - it will fix your video cards and adds in a bit more trace as well.
Download Config-AMDRadeon7640G.rar

3. Put it in the highest ep number, and into the matching Config and CSConfig folders as per the previous post.
4. Start up the game, then come out. Check if the anti-alias slider can be used.
5. Open up your config-log.txt and do a find on 'Kiri'. If you can find the word - then it's been used. If you can't then you need to add the cards to a different folder.

If it hasn't worked.
6. Add it to ALL your Config/CSConfig folders for all your base game and expansions, then repeat Steps 4 and 5.

Then come back and tell me what happened.

#239 05-06-2014 
You are a genius my dear! That fix worked, and now my game is really quite beautiful. Thank you so much! Smile

#240 05-06-2014 
Hi Child_of_air - So glad to hear that you have your game working again.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option