Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#321 08-07-2014 
Hi - can I have the complete config-log.txt? There's actually a variable there for bump maps, and depending on whether it's on or not, it could be really simple to fix, or really hard to fix.

#322 08-07-2014 
  • Registered
Here's the file.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Y50-USER-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.36 KB / Downloads: 330)

#323 08-07-2014 
WhyamItwo -

Your config log tells me two things:

1. You can use the NVidia fix because the game is recognising the Nvidia card.
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M <-- this says it's recognising the NVidia card.
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>

2. Your bumpmapping is turned off in Global Options.
boolProp bumpMapping false

The graphic rules is choosing BumpMapping true, and
Option properties
-----------------
boolProp bumpMapping true
uintProp imageDataSizeReductionOnLoad 0

Which is a little confusing (especially at 4:30am)

STEP 1:
Change your fix to the NVidia fix.
Then have a look in your config-log.txt (in your logs folder) and check for the value of BumpMapping and ImageDataSizeReductionOnLoad in both Global, and Options section.
Then let me know.

#324 08-07-2014 
  • Registered
Ah, I think I've made a mistake in my part, I believed that I've altered the NVidia fix when I first used that solution to try to fix the bump map issue. Used the fix the second time and it works.

Thanks, you've been a great help! Smile

EDIT: Oddly enough, in the CAS screen the bump mapping normals are reversed, but the bodyshop and the game works fine, if there's still something funny that cropped up I'll let you know.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 06:08 AM by whyamitwo.)

#325 09-07-2014 
I wouldn't be surprised if that was a long term problem in the CAS screen, whyamitwo.
Grand to hear that it works. Smile

#326 09-07-2014 
  • Registered
Hi everyone! Thanks for this awesome thread^^
I am also having issues with sims 2. My OS is win 8.1, dual video card - Intel and Nvidia GeForce GT 740M.
I have tried all the fixes suggested in the 1st post, but sims doesn't recognize my nvidia card. As a result - shadows and smooth edges are greyed out in game settings. Log file is attached below.
Could you please help me? *-*

Attached File(s)
.txt  ILLIILII-config-log.txt (Size: 10.43 KB / Downloads: 362)

#327 09-07-2014 
Aikerima - in this case - you need to use the intel fix as it's the intel bit that is being read as the graphics card.

I can't help you with the forcing the Nvidia card to be used, I don't have dual card, so I can only go with what people tell me has worked. I'm sorry that it hasn't worked for you.

So yeah, use the Intel fix - your texture memory is fine so just the plain Intel fix will be good enough.
Then go back into the game, and have a look.

Post up the config-log for me afterwards if that didn't work.

#328 09-07-2014 
  • Registered
I've downloaded intel fix and smooth edges work now! Thanks a lot!!^.^ The game looks so much better now!
But shadows are still disabled Sad I tried fix with textures to be sure, effect is the same
I'll attach new log here
Also I found a feature on my laptop, where i can see nvidia activity. When sims 2 are running, it says that nvidia card is in use by sims app. but log doesn't mention it..

Attached File(s)
.txt  ILLIILII-config-log.txt (Size: 10.31 KB / Downloads: 330)

#329 09-07-2014 
Hi Aikerima - according to your config-log it's set to high.
I know you can't update it in the game - that happens all the time, and I have no idea how to change that.

Yeah - don't worry about the nvidia running - the graphic rules that you got works for that as well.

#330 09-07-2014 
Dont forget - shadow settings can only be changed in lot, not hood view.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option