Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#771 03-09-2014 
@Caesum

You have the NVidia with the texture problem. You are correct about the CPU/RAM/Graphics for the resolution - but because it can't find your texture memory, it sets it to 32Mb.

You need to use this card Download NVidia with Texture Fix

And you need to make sure you put it in the right spot -

\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\Config\
\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\CSConfig\ <-- don't forget to put it in BOTH places.

Start up the game, then come back out and have a look at the config-log.txt again

Texture memory: 32MB This line should have something much larger in it, if you put it in the right place.
If it hasn't - post up your config-log.txt here and we'll work through it. You'll probably need to do the video cards.sgr fix as well.

@xxdalexx
Your card doesn't work properly because you need to use the Medium CPU Intel card. The Graphic Rules maker doesn't fix things with CPU less than 3K, unfortunately. I've also made you up a video cards.sgr that you put in the same place as the graphic rules.sgr

Download Medium CPU Intel Card
Video Cards for Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

@Agora666
The reason why your screen is pausing - is because your laptop doesn't have enough oomph to run the game.

Your specs are
CPU: 2048.199951Mhz, Name:GenuineIntel, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 2040MB
Free memory: 696MB
Texture memory: 360MB

Bottom line? You can't run Sims2 on that laptop/PC. You don't have enough space, you don't have enough CPU and you don't have enough Texture memory.
696MB is not enough for the game to load into RAM - that's why it's hanging.
2048 MHz is low-level CPU and can't cope with almost all that goes on in Sims2
360MB Texture Memory is also on the low-side.

#772 03-09-2014 
  • Registered
Wow, that was fast! Thanks for your answer. Silly me, I forgot to say I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin. I have put the file in The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin. Is it okay?

Opened the game with NVIDIA GTX 850M, it still says E_INVALIDARG. Checked config log, it still has 32mb of texture memory.

Here is an another config log:

.txt  Caesum_lap-config-log.txt (Size: 10.2 KB / Downloads: 400)

#773 03-09-2014 
@Caesum
The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin - Nope - that's the wrong place. Which would explain why when you change stuff nothing seems to happen.

The correct place for Sims2 Ultimate Collection is:

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\\TSData\Res\Config
AND
The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\\TSData\Res\CSConfig

#774 03-09-2014 
  • Registered
Aahh, silly me! Okay, copied them in the right folders and now I have:
Texture memory: 1744MB

The game still shows E_INVALIDARG though.

#775 03-09-2014 
I'm not sure what's causing the E_INVALID_ARG. Do you have the most up-to-date driver for your graphics card? I'll have to look into it.

We can fix the ugly graphics for the Intel card though, so you have a back up plan.
Swap the game to the Intel card and post up the config-log.txt from that.

#776 03-09-2014 
  • Registered
I have already used graphics rules maker to force better graphics for my Intel card and it works quite well. It won't break my intel graphics card though, will it?

Here's log from INTEL GPU:

.txt  CAESUM_LAP-config-log.txt (Size: 10.29 KB / Downloads: 318)

EDIT: I also have problem with TS2 not having any compatibility tab in windows 8. Because of that I can't disable high DPI for it and so everything is blurry.

#777 04-09-2014 
  • Registered
Complete computer dummy here, help please?
I have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and used to be able to play for about 20 minute stretches until it would crash. But one day I just couldn't enter any household without the game saying "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate."
I tried using Graphic Rules Maker but it didn't work for me, wouldn't even open the game saying "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!
Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate"
Used the repair game files option in Origin and managed to get the game open but back to crashing when I try to play households.

Operating system: Windows 8.0
I am also quite sure that I only have 1 graphics device, the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 which says not found in database in my log file.

Also I forgot to uninstall my previous Sims 2 game before installing the ultimate collection, should I wish to play my previous game again what should I do? Delete the ultimate collection game files?

Thanks in advance! Smile

Attached File(s)
.txt  ASUSS400-config-log.txt (Size: 10.44 KB / Downloads: 325)

#778 04-09-2014 
@Caesum
No, it won't break your Intel card to do it. It actually looks fine.
Regarding compatibility - This is the page in Microsoft that says how to do it for Windows 8
I'm on Windows 7, and staying there for the duration so I'm not familiar with the way Windows 8 works.
But I notice on my game that I don't have the DPI thing ticked - so I'm wondering what sort of blurry problems are you having - because if it is what I think it is, you can fix it by turning off 'snow on the ground'.

@mkxx

You do need to uninstall your original Sims2 Game - Ultimate Collection and the game do not like to work on the same PC together. Please see the Ultimate Collection Wiki for what to do about your UC/existing game.

You need to use the Intel Graphic Card fix
The message in the Config-log.txt means that your graphics card is not listed in your Video Cards.sgr.
Using this Video Cards.sgr will fix that.

They need to be put in both

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\\TSData\Res\Config
AND
The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\\TSData\Res\CSConfig

#779 04-09-2014 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel Thank you so much for your help! I'll try that fix as soon as I have the time to do so. Smile

#780 04-09-2014 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel - thanks. The high DPI problem happens when you have a huge resolution and high DPI turned on in Windows settings. It makes interface and programs look normal(not small) on big resolutions. Problem is some programs do not support that feature and they are being upscalled from 100% to 125% in my case. This is the case with The Sims 2. You can turn off that feature in compatibility tab, but windows 8 only provides it for some programs, not all. The Sims 2 doesn't have such tab. Fortunately I have succeeded in manually applying compatibility settings using registries editing so it's not a problem anymore.

But I still have problem with e_invalidarg error. Do you know how to fix it? Or am I sentenced to Intel card?
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 12:10 PM by Caesum.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option