Sims 2 and Graphics Cards - the fixes.

GRAPHICS RULES MAKER
A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#911 04-01-2015 
  • Registered
Ok, so I have a giant problem.... First of all, I don't have the -config-log.txt file in that folder, I tried to follow the other steps and still it didn't work Sad I also tried to run the graphics rules maker.

I have this message: http://i.imgur.com/ZzsqLXf.png

My PC is Windows 8.1
I have Intel Integrated Graphics and Nvidia Geforce GT740M
Intel i5 and 8GB RAM

Help me please Sad

#912 04-01-2015 
I used the graphics rules maker and it asked me to add 2 devices (I don't remember the names) to my video card data base and I selected yes. Now when I try to open my game I get the error "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system." Is there any way to undo adding the devices? I have windows 8

#913 05-01-2015 
  • Registered
so basically. I cant open the Graphic-rules - intel.... I need help and this is my only option I have before I take it to a professional... Sad

#914 05-01-2015 
@pmartes

Hmmm you have a dual card. Lets start by getting the graphic rules working first. What sort of game do you have? Ultimate Collection or base game and expansion packs?

@pookie
Yeah there is a way of undoing it. It should have backed up what you originally had. I'm assuming you have Ultimate Collection?
Can you attach your Video Cards.sgr and Graphic Rules.sgr for me? Click Full editor to attach.
Also the -config-log.txt from your game.
I will have a look at it and see what the problem is.

@britnolan23
What do you mean that you can't open the graphic rules - intel? Do you mean you can't unrar it? What are you using to unrar it? It downloads for me, and un-compresses no problems.

#915 05-01-2015 
I have the base game and all of the expansion packs.

Attached File(s)
.txt  Video Cards.sgr.bak.txt (Size: 26.68 KB / Downloads: 424)
.txt  Graphics Rules.sgr.txt (Size: 33.31 KB / Downloads: 404)
.txt  DESKTOP-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.36 KB / Downloads: 393)

#916 05-01-2015 
@pookie

The Video Cards.sgr is your original one.
OK you have the expansion packs, but not Mansion and Gardens.

This is what you need to do:

Download this Video Card - Video Card - Joanne
(I created it for Jo-anne but she has the same card as you).

Download the Graphics Card - Intel from the first page.

Then you will need to put them both in the following folders:
\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Config\
\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\CSConfig\

That should fix your problem.

#917 05-01-2015 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel

I have the Ultimate collection

#918 05-01-2015 
I still cant even open the game because of my earlier issue with "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system." How do I undo what the graphics rule maker did?

#919 06-01-2015 
For me when I made a mistake fixing The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and it stopped working I just went to origin. right click on the sims 2 ultimate, and repair install, this will NOT delete any saved games or anything, it will just fix your game so it will run.

#920 06-01-2015 
@pookie
You don't need to open the game to do these changes. You do these changes BEFORE you open the game. Then it will fix the problem.
Did you do the changes that I listed above? Those changes will overwrite the changes that the Graphic Rules Maker did.
Simmerfan's suggestion is a great way of fixing the Ultimate Collection, but you don't have that, so it won't work for you.

If all you want to do is go back to what you had before the Graphic Rules Maker - then what you need to do is

rename the files -
Video Cards.sgr.bak.txt -> Video Cards.sgr (i.e. take off the bak.txt)
Graphic Rules.sgr.bak.txt -> Graphic Rules.sgr

You will need to rename the ones that are currently sitting in there to something else (tend to change the suffix from sgr to old) first, otherwise it won't let you change them.

You will need to do this in both folders - Config and CSConfig.

@pmartes

Fabulous. OK.

Step 1. Reset your game
Simmerfan's suggestion of running the update from Origin, is a great one and will keep things simple for you.

That *should* fix the directx problem and let us have a good look at what's happening with your graphics - i.e. it will give us a -config-log.txt if it doesn't then there's other things we can do. But lets go one step at a time, to keep it not too confusing.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option