A new program is out to help you with graphics rules
Click here to download

#921 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
I have a small problem with invisible snow in my game :C
It looks like this:
https://33.media.tumblr.com/4de74d1513d5...1_1280.png
https://33.media.tumblr.com/48874a3bf8e0...2_1280.png

I have Windows 8.1 laptop with integrated Intel 4600 and Radeon R5 M230.

My game is just base game with all EPs/SPs.

Here is my config-log:

.txt  config-log.txt (Size: 10.32 KB / Downloads: 348)

#922 06-01-2015 
I downloaded both things you told me too and saved them to my desktop. I then hit right click copy, then opened config and cs config and right clicked and hit paste. Here is what I have. Which should I specifically rename?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

#923 06-01-2015 
@pookie you should unrar those rar archives to get the files that are stored inside them!

#924 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
Ok, I reset the game

It still shows that same directx error and there is no -config-log.txt file, look: http://prntscr.com/5p1dwd

#925 06-01-2015 
@pookie

you should rename Video Cards.sgr and Graphic Rules.sgr
In your pictures those are the ones that have Type of sgr.

Next you should do as BO said, and uncompress the two rar files - WinRar is what I use, but unzip it the way you normally do, and see if it opens. Most uncompression/compression programs can do rars nowadays.

@Trotylka

Ooo We've had that problem before... let me just remember what we did.. I'm pretty sure what happened was that we had to turn something off. It's a graphics issue - because if you look at one of your pics - the snow has actually made the ground invisible and you can see the chimney going down through all the layers on the block next door.

Oh fudge - I can't find it. OK. I have vague memories, that the way we fixed this was by turning reflections off. Try that first, go in, and see what you have. Come back if it's still a problem - in the meantime I'll have a wade through the graphic rules and see if there's something to turn off in there.

@pmartes

Are you running the game full-screen or windowed? There is a problem where this error turns up on full-screen, but disappears on windowed (we have no answer why this is so). If you're not running it windowed - change it to windowed

How you do that - find the shortcut you use to start it up -

[Image: 63345_150105230214windowShortcut.jpg]

and add " - w" at the end after the quotes as in the picture above in the target part.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 05:03 AM by celebkiriedhel.)

#926 06-01-2015 
  • Registered
Already did that, tried again, didn't work :/

#927 06-01-2015 
@pmartes
OK. That's another thing we can cross off the list. This is ok - what we are doing is working through the list of things it could be one by one, and eventually we'll find the problem.

the next thing I need you to do is a dxdiag, and attach it up so I can have a look at what's going on your graphics card - I also need you to look and tell me when the driver was last updated.

This is going to be a little bit trickier for you to do
(Also - can you post up your shortcut for me? Thanks)

EA has a help thread that you need to read and follow

What that will determine is if it is actually a directx 9.0c compatibility problem.
At the bottom of that lot, is how to run a dxdiag
Once you've run the dxdiag - click 'save all information' - and it will create a textfile called dxdiag. attach this to a post.

To be honest, my guess is that you won't have a problem with the dxdiag stuff - but it will give me more information about what's happening, and we'll get closer to a fix for you.

#928 06-01-2015 
I think I am officially screwed. I changed the names like u said but it told me I had to add a 2 after it because that file already existed and it also said by changing the name, it could potentially make the file unreadable. Then I downloaded winzip and clicked extract to here and that didn't work. I tried opening my game and still got the direct x9 error.

also Im not very smart when it comes to computers so zipping things and so forth are way over my head so I could really be screwing this all up. I really appreciate the help though.

fyi: I had the game working perfectly on my computer I just wanted to fix the crappy terrain and the glitchy stuff every time I moved around. I then used the graphics rule maker and once it put those video drives into use my game stopped opening.

#929 06-01-2015 
@pookie You're not screwed - it always says that when you change a filename. Don't panic - we'll get this working ok.

It looks like you can unzip it - and my suspicion is that it has - you actually have 3 versions of both the graphic rules and the video cards and I think you're getting a bit confused. So we'll make it a little less confusing.

Step 1.
Create a folder in Config - called 'Save'. (Right click on the blank space and select New and then Folder, then rename New Folder to Save)

Step 2.
Move all your Graphic Rules and Video Cards to the Save folder. The easiest way to do this is to sort by type (click on the type heading) then select and drag. (or cut and paste)

Step 3.
Do you unzip to here again - if it works you will have a
Graphic Rules.sgr and a Video Cards.sgr in your folder.

If you don't - then come back and I'll make an uncompressed version for you - but I'm pretty sure that you will have the cards there as expected.

Step 4 - Go to the CSConfig folder and repeat steps 1-3.

#930 06-01-2015 
ok did I put the right ones in there and which button do I click to unzip it?

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option